1. kay-smith

kay-smith New Member

Formatting Tips For eBook Writing on Kindle

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by kay-smith, Feb 19, 2013.

Make or Break-It In Your First 10%

As some of you may know by surfing through the tons of ebooks that kindle offers the first 10% of your ebook is given as a free sample for interested buyers to scope out. Think of this as your sales proposal. If a potential buyer becomes interested in what they are viewing they are more inclined to continue through purchasing the remainder of your ebook because they feel it will offer them something of VALUE.

Most basic ebook formats instruct you to have the title page and table of contents as your first two pages, the same as many hardcover books. However, the reader has not purchased your whole book yet as they have a hardcover book. If all you are offering is a title and a list of the contents within your ebook it is too easy for the reader to make a quick judgment to buy your book or continue searching for another.

Entice your reader with an introduction. Acquaint them with your writing style and give them a synopsis of how you plan to solve their problem. This is where you need to create a connection between your viewer and your work. Give them something to look forward to. The rest of your ebook is packed full with in-depth instructions on each particular topic. Wet their lips with these key topics and make them yearn for more.

Remember the first 10% of your work is what determines if you will MAKE or BREAK-IT to your potential buyer.

2. iolair

iolair Active Member

I feel patronised.
    Anyone else?

3. JennyM

JennyM Member

:p it's fun!

Kay I agree. Get a big juicy hook in the 10% then your potential reader just have to buy - the legal bit about copyright can be a one liner, why waste that advertising space in the first 10% - then the whole copyright jargon can be put at the end of the book, with a link to it in the index.

Unless of course there is a strict legal protocol to follow - but I've not heard of it.

After all, if you were searching for a book to read in a bricks and mortar bookshop, you could read a lot more than the first 10%.

4. Bimber

Bimber Contributing Member

I feel spamed

5. JennyM

JennyM Member

New girl on the block alert here!

Have I done something wrong? Are ebooks off limits?

6. Bimber

Bimber Contributing Member

No dont worry you did nothing wrong, the OP post is just spam which will be removed soon i guess

7. JennyM

JennyM Member

Thanks Bimber, should have spotted it!