1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

What do you do?

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Torana, Apr 10, 2007.

What do you do?

Do you beat around the bush with your poetry or get straight to the point?

Do you prefer to read poetry that is straight to the point or poetry that takes a bit of thought?

~Torana

2. Sayso

Sayso New Member

I've got to admit to all of the above. Sometimes a poem just flows and is finished in a shorter time than it takes to find a pen and then others can take me days to write.

As for reading poetry. I like the simple ones that tell the story and then you move on, and at other times it's nice to be left thinking about a piece. The only one's I don't like are the ones that you have to work out what the author is saying on every single line. Maybe I'm just thick.

I think overall it depends on the readers mood as to which they would prefer at any given moment.

3. Isis

Isis New Member

I like a mix of both, I like to be able to understand a poem but then be able to go back and 'get' more about it, unravell it a little, see the tricks and hidden things. But it really depends on the poem...some poems just work better when they're clear and simple in their insight. Understatement can be wonderful. And then some poems just feel like they should be more convoluted and mythological and strange, and should take more time.

4. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I prefer a poem that has meaning and depth. Which usually takes a whole lotta though. I tend to write more simple pieces-maybe that is why I like poems with depth....they are completely different than my own. As long as they have something fresh and raw in it-I love it.

5. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I would also agree that I prefer (and try to practice) both. Direct and indirect.

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Well personally I like to write poetry that sounds like it is about one thing but is actually about something completely different. Something that takes a bit of thought to decifer although I enjoy writing and reading both.
    But love the way some poetry realy does make you sit and think for a while about what it is actually saying.

~Torana