1. andrew17

andrew17 New Member

Forum About Theme

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by andrew17, Aug 18, 2008.

I think we could use a forum to discuss more serious topics of theme and philosophy. A lot of the forums we have now seem geared towards plot based genre type writing. Now don't get me wrong I'm not trying to say that type of writing is bad. I just think that those of us who are writing more literary type stuff which focuses more on developing a theme than developing a conflict and a plot could use a forum to discuss philosophy and what not. Just throwing it out there. This forum could also be used by poets of course.

2. maddiemae

maddiemae Member

Like what do you have in mind?

3. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

The only problem I see here is that philosophy seems to come hand-in-hand with with arguments. A couple of my poems are geared towards philosopy and tackle other issues in my point of view, and I don't see a need to discuss my views with others. This forum, in theory is a nice idea. But what comes with it is mainly unwelcome on these forums: Arguments and debating. There are many other sites with forums like this, and it may be able to happen, but I doubt it.
    Best Wishes,
    Tarnished

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As far as debating phiolosophy, that simply will not be a part of this forum. We allow some discussions in the Lounge, but it's a trouble point that must be constantly monitored.

There are plenty of sites on the Internet where people can debate and argue philosophies until they are red in the face.

But as for the use of theme and philosophy to drive wrtiting, we already have Plot Creation to discuss matters like that.

5. andrew17

andrew17 New Member

I said nothing about debate. There's quite a bit of difference between plot based writing and theme based writing.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I couldn't be sure which you were asking for from your post, so I decided to cover both bases. However, although I agrre there is a distinction between plot and theme, there are already threads raising that distinction. I created one of those threads myself.

Keep in mind that creating ever finer divisions between forums adds to page real estate, and yet does not guide people to use the correct forum for each purpose. All that will happen is plot threads will be posted under themes, and theme threads will be posted under plot, as well as other inappropriate pairings.

Just make your intent clear in the thread title.