1. Ben414

Ben414 Contributing Member Contributor

Free flow or practical brainstorm?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Ben414, Apr 1, 2014.

I am in the process of brainstorming, and I often feel myself dismissing ideas because I believe that I lack the knowledge necessary to actually write that idea. Examples might be if I wanted to write a story with a setting of 19th century America or a story with the protagonist having a job as a influential business leader. Some of my ideas wouldn't take a ton of research, but others would take an inordinate amount that I don't have the time for.

Anyway, when you are brainstorming, do you think about the practicality of writing your ideas? Or do you employ an open free flow, and then worry about the practicality later? I think that I will get responses mostly in line with the latter option, but I just wanted to see what people's processes were.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

If I really want to write a certain story, and it's going to require time to research in order to do it right, then I do the research. If I know that it's not practical to do the research, then yes, I put it off. I never take on a project if I know I won't be able to do it justice.

AlannaHart likes this.