1. MountainBiker

MountainBiker New Member

FREE GIFT!, etc.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MountainBiker, Jul 9, 2008.

This is probably the most irritating expression I can think of. What the heck other kind of gift is there?!!! One you have to pay for? :confused:

Another abuse of the word "free" is when it something is advertised as being free when, in actuality, you have to buy something to get what is being advertised as "free." (as in http://www.freecreditreport.com) :( (BTW, it's www.annualcreditreport.com that's free) :)

Still another abuse of the word "free" is 'buy one, get one free'
    News Flash: It's not free—you're getting both for half price. :rolleyes:

Ahhhhh... I feel a lot better having vented!

2. Klee

Klee New Member

I can't remember where I read it, but someone once placed an add at a store that read. "Buy one bottle at the price of two and get another one for free." It actually worked.

3. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Wow....just wow. In a way, I'm actually not that surprised that that would work on some people.

4. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I think I'd be more inclined to buy something from that store simply because they have a sense of humor.

5. woken2reason

woken2reason New Member

Well I guess my favorite is a sign, atop the entrance to a bottle shop stating "Free Entry".

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

What I think is a classic is telemarketers ringing you at 11pm and saying "Would you like a free mobile phone?" Then in the end you find out that you are paying almost $1000 for the item. I never listen to them, just sit the phone down and walk away, but a relative of mine almost got conned by them. They sent her two mobile phones, that she then was meant to pay $2000 for, and they didn't even work in her area code. She got out of it, but still, the phones weren't free at all, yet they tell you they are free... go figure!

7. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

There's an ad on TV lately where they mention the product has an "added bonus."

Duh, redundant, anyone? Is there any other kind of bonus?

And I can't stand it when people say "raise up." What, are you going to raise something down??

I never even bother looking at things that offer something "free." None of these things are free. Always a catch. Even if the catch is merely signing up to receive tons of junk mail. Ever try those "Get paid to answer surveys!" things? I did. Firstly, you only get paid for the surveys you can actually answer (maybe like one or two cents if you're lucky), and most of them are so specific ("This survey is for women age 35-50 who smoke two packs of cigarettes daily and watch The Ghost Whisperer") that most people can't answer them; secondly, you can't cash out until you answer a boatload of them, which takes forever, if you're lucky; and thirdly, most of the paying offers will pay you IF you join a gaming site (and spend hours playing stupid games which you're not good at, leaving no time for anything else) or sign up for a credit card or something like that, which would end up costing more than the reward you receive!

Pff. I gave that up fast. One of them kept sending me e-mails years after I'd stopped visiting their site and had opted out, though. *rolling eyes*

8. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Hehe, it's sort of like the expression 'new and improved' - IMO, an object can't be both.

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Let’s not forget the amazing strand of genuine faux pearls that was offered with everything during the early 80’s. :D

10. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

What I don't get is when on foodpacking they have those competitions with vouchers you have to cut out and then send off to win, and it says 'No purchase necessary.' Surely the supermarket wouldn't be too happy if I just cut out the vouchers in the shop and took them home?

11. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

For those they usually have a website or mailing address where you can ask for a voucher. They do that for the sweepstakes because if they make you buy it it's legally gambling.