1. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

Freelance writing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Northern Phil, Sep 8, 2010.

In my continued efforts to get back into work I have been trying everything to look for and apply for jobs. On one of my searches I came across a freelancer site. They had several postings where people were looking for writers to write reviews, blogs and stuff like that.

After having a little look at a few of these sites I signed up for free, but in order to apply for the jobs I would have to pay a monthly fee and even then there is no guarantee that I would get the job or produce material to the customers standard.

Monthly membership costs about $25 so before I shell out that much money I thought I'd come here and ask if any one has any experience of using a site like this or has heard anything about them.

2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributing Member Contributor

Wouldn't there be a way to apply for the job without going through that site?
    I'd be a bit leary about having to pay money to work.

I could understand more if perhaps they worked like an agent and took a small percentage of your payment since you got the job through them.

3. Capt Bob

Capt Bob Senior Member

S-C-A-M!!
    Legitimate Jobs are Jobs that pay you--Clubs sell memberships!.

Only Politicians have the right to peddle jobs for kickbacks!.
    Oh-yes, I know they call them "favors" for campaign "Contributors".
    The "Gift" that keeps on "Giving!".

4. daisydaisy

daisydaisy Member

Can't you try looking for local writing projects? What kind of writing do you want to do?

I am a freelance writer, and I help local businesses with things like newsletters and reports.

5. becca

becca New Member Contributor

I wouldn't do it. You shouldn't be paying them. Sounds like they just want to rip you off.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

those listing sites are a total waste of money and worse...

there's no easy way to get freelance writing jobs... you have to 'go out' and find them:

check out your local periodicals and see if they'll take you on as a stringer; submit articles/reviews/personality and business profiles to them...

advertise your writing services anywhere you can...

look for websites on subjects you can write about and see which ones clearly need a good content writer...

and so on..............

7. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributing Member Contributor

Any 'job' that requires a monthly fee is no job, it's a scam... Even if you did get hired a few times, how would you even guarantee a job every month, or even a yearly paycheck of over $300 for freelance?

You'd be much better off putting in legwork and pimping yourself out locally. Dont join a membership thing... those things are like viruses. People join, pay, realize it's worthless, and leave. But they get $25 each time no matter what, and will keep spreading and spreading to new writers while the deceived ones have left.

8. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

Thanks for all you responses, it seemed almost to good to be true.

I'll keep looking and hopefully I'll find something good.