1. lever

lever New Member

Finding a place to write

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lever, Jul 11, 2012.

My requirements for being able to write is a quite well lit place. I am looking into writing rooms
    and I was wondering if anyone has any experience using them. Besides fulfilling my requirements,
    is there anything else I should be concerned with?

2. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

I write on my laptop, snuggled in bed. It lets me spread my notes out all over the place, and if I get tired there's a pillow there. :) I don't know what you mean by a writing room other than a place you write in. At which point, does that matter where it is, as long as it is quiet?

3. Langadune

Langadune Member

I'm from the part of Kansas that doesn't look like
    Not sure if a "Writing Room" is some sort of commercialized rental or if you mean "a place in which to write."

It is ideal, if you can find it, to have a private spot that you can call your "writing place." This can help you switch into writing mode and block out the world. What matters most is that you are able to write in your writing place. Avoid unnecessary distractions if you're able. Things like the internet are great aids but that can easily become a distraction. Not everyone has a private room/office/nook to go to and write. Some people write on the kitchen counter while making lunch for the kids. Write when and where you are able. If you find an ideal time and place... eat it up and make the most of it!

4. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

The whirling heart of campus or deep among the comings and goings of the library. Curled in the corner of a park bench swing, perpendicular...no parallel, no perpendicular to the ground...The motion speeding my words. Or the uppermost terrace of old Woodlawn at the treeline, on the corner of the hill where stands the stump of an oak, massive and weathered. Looking out over the entire length and breadth of the Mississippi and the old river town, this quiet, far green spot is mine, alone. Forgotten and still, it is the place I go when the world runs mad and my words blur. In all these corners, depending on the mood, the tone of my piece, I write.

- Darkkin

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Pick a spot that's not routine. If you're in your room most of the day, then go to another room of the house. If you're in the house for most of the day, then go somewhere else. Take a small composite notebook, pen, and go to a library, coffee shop, park, whereever, sit down, and write.

I'm a guy who gets stuck in a rut very easily. I spend more time on my computer than outside in the real world. Thus, it's looking like I'll have to force myself to get away from my room for long periods of time to write or do something else.

6. Amanda C

Amanda C New Member

I've always wanted to be a "coffee shop writer" -- just because of how wonderfully hipster that sounds -- but I find that I get most of my writing done at my computer, at my desk, as long as I completely prevent myself from using the internet. Finding a "writing place" to me isn't so much about finding a place, but about controlling the place so that it becomes a workroom. I put on soothing music (either classical or themes from various fantasy films, because that is the genre I write) and surround myself with my favorite books (for example and inspiration) and books on how to write (in case I'm stuck) and just get in the groove.

7. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

BFGuru - I write in bed too.

I am in the middle of turning a spare bedroom into an office - bought a new printer yesterday. I will probably still write in bed, I've gotten kinda used to it.

8. Steph4136

Steph4136 New Member

I love writing in my room on my bed too. Usually one of my cats will be hanging out with me. Ugh I made myself sound like crazy cat lady didn't I? Anyway, as long as it's relatively quiet I can get some work done. These days it's harder and harder with my oldest out of school for the summer and my toddler in this I-want-Mommy-every-second phase.

9. amber leaf

amber leaf New Member

I agree about writing on the bed with the cat at your side. Usually, some music helps as well.

10. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

I must be a crazy cat lady too then as my kitties tend to snuggle me. One at a time though. They hate each other and refuse to share the same space.

11. Steph4136

Steph4136 New Member

Mine sandwich me. Lestat will lay by my side when I'm writing, but Gambit has to lay on my stomach and tries to lay half on the laptop. He's a big boy too and usually gets tossed off eventually.

12. Citizen Gallagher

Citizen Gallagher New Member

During the day I write at my desk in the back room with a little bit of Rock music on low in the background, and in the evening I retire to the front room with my laptop on my lap. But in a similar situation to you, Steph, every time I find myself on a roll, my little boy decides that he wants my attention.

13. lever

lever New Member

Please excuse me. I should have been more specific.
    What I meant are places where you pay for space to write.
    I usually write from home but I find myself getting distracted.
    I was thinking of just going to a local library but their hours do not
    give me enough time.

Has anyone here ever rented space to write? Is it worth it?

14. amecylia

amecylia New Member

Prior to this post, I have never heard of anyone renting a place to write. A google search revealed that these places to indeed exist...

I have no experience with writing rooms, and this might not be an answer that you're looking for, but--are you able to reorganise your house so it's less distracting? Or find a quiet well-lit corner somewhere? If writing anywhere else is impossible for you, maybe try out a writing room for a month. If renting the place helps you write (and is within your budget), go for it! Some of the places that I found were reasonably cheap and offered 24/7 access.

What works for one writer may not work for another. I always wanted to be a cafe-writer, but I get most of my writing done in bed with my kittens.

15. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

I don't think I'd ever pay to rent a space to write. But I have been known to ditch my family and go to the local family restaurant. They know when I come in with all my books in tow that it's finals week and to just keep the ice tea coming. (I will order something though). That's as close to renting as I've gotten. I don't take myself too terribly seriously yet, as I'm still in school and know I can't commit to the writing process of my novel until that's done. Between work, kids and nursing school, I would be stopping and starting and I think that will just make my writing style inconsistent with long breaks. So I just research for now.

16. Trilby

I have never paid for a place to write. BUT;

If I could afford it - Taking my laptop with me, I would go on a long... long... holiday on my own, somewhere warm (not to hot). Maybe in the country or the coast, where I could go for long walks (for thinking time) be back at the hotel in time for the evening meal and then to bed with my laptop on my lap (heaven).

17. emines

emines New Member

What, is Starbucks not good enough for you? lol

18. Morkonan

Morkonan New Member

Absolutely!

Think about what you need for your "writing space." The most important thing is that you are comfortable and as free from distractions as possible so that you can focus on the task at hand. Now, look at your situation... You're thinking about renting a writing room. That means there is likely no space that you own or frequent that qualifies as being free of distractions, comfortable and allows you to focus on a task at hand.

Do you live in a warzone or something? Is there no place where you live where you can focus your thoughts? Is your home too much of a tumbled mess with too much distraction and commotion for you to concentrate? If so, you surely have something more important to consider than whether or not to rent a Writing Room.

Fix those things first. It will be impossible for you to be a good writer if you can not concentrate on your work. If you home life is counterproductive to concentrating or even just escaping into your own thoughts, you have to fix that or no amount of Writing Rooms are going to help you.

Now, if you're sharing your living space with others that may cause you distraction or otherwise interfere with your practice of your chosen skill, you need to talk honestly and very sincerely with them. Explain things. As them to help you and do what it takes to obtain their cooperation. Work with their schedules, move furniture so it's pleasing to everyone, agree to certain times where you will expect privacy and others where you will be open to interaction with them. Above all, obtain their active and enthusiastic participation in helping you achieve your goals in writing, even if it means giving up some of your privacy or quiet time.

19. lever

lever New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I have a lot of distractions where I live and some of them involve noisy neighbors who refuse to listen to reason or the landlord.
    So I am looking at other options even thought I would love to just write at home.
    I think I will stick to the public library since it is free.

20. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

I guess im like everyone else i needs a quite place with no distractions. Because of my job im usually out in the middle of nowhere so thats a plus. I have down time inbetween frac stages for about 2 hours at a time so that is where i do most of my writing, in my truck. lol

21. The Crazy Kakoos

The Crazy Kakoos New Member

I have a game room/study.

However I have a family who believes the whole house is fair game and it's not uncommon for there to be someone watching TV there, folding laundry, baby in the jumper, etc.

It's my writing spot, just not necessarily quiet.

22. Trilby

I rarely drink coffee - so it does not appeal to me. Now if it changed it name to Tetley's; I could see the advantages.

23. if.you.see.kay

if.you.see.kay New Member

Places to write are hard to come by. Jolt down a few thoughts where life sparks them. Could be anywhere. I try. Could be better.

24. Gonissa

Gonissa New Member

Lol, it's not good enough for me. They don't stir their drinks.

Um, my mental condition is more important than the place, but it helps if wherever I am is clean. Messy places just don't work.

25. Elixir

Elixir New Member

A place to write is where ever may be comfortable to you.

The backyard is where I prefer, or anywhere where there's nature abound.