Tags:
  1. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

Freudian Slips-not his lingerie

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carmina, Jul 8, 2009.

Freudian slip
    –noun
    (in Freudian psychology) an inadvertent mistake in speech or writing that is thought to reveal a person's unconscious motives, wishes, or attitudes.

Every now and then I catch myself with either a verbal or written slip that just may be my brain telling me something about myself.

For instance, the other day I tried to "different versions" and it came out "different virgins." OK..they sound similar..maybe it doesn't mean anything.

But just a minute ago, I was typing something for the church and intended to type "dear Lord" and actually typed "dead Lord." Those letters aren't all THAT close on the keyboard. I wonder if my inner atheist is coming out (my inner atheist and inner believer take turns being in control).

Any one have interesting or telling slips they wish to share? Embarrassing wrong word choices? Please share.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

So this thread isn't snickers about his knickers? Ah well.

3. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I think the D is close enough to the R.

4. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I once called a woman I was dating by the wrong name for a solid 10 mins before she pointed it out. I wasn't interested in the other person (who's name I was saying), the name was in my head because my buddy (who was trying to hook up with her) had not shut up about the chick for a week straight.

5. Piestein

Piestein Active Member

I often misread. Like... A LOT. I misstype too from time to time, but it's not as noteworthy....

There was a time when I was a remarkable listener as well. What I heard and what people said were too different things sometimes. Was quite funny actually. Was like "uhu... uhu... uhu... WAIT WHAT?!?!? Oh... uhu....uhu"

6. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

I'm a terrible typist and often times I'll find I've written something completely different from what I actually meant. Either that or I'll leave out certain parts of a word (like an "ers" at the end) or make it too long. Maybe I should just learn how to type properly.

However, when I'm speaking to friends or family I often find myself adding those nasty little Freudian slips. My most annoying, the ones so many of my friends wont let me live down, was when I was in tenth grade and called my English teacher "Mom" in front of twenty-nine of my peers. In truth I did it because she was nagging me, but from that point forward she had a tendency to call me "Son".

As for your "Dear Lord" example... well, if you catch on catch on fire for seemingly no reason you now know why.

7. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

I work in a call centre, & have said...
    'Good morning you're through to....you're sleeping with Rachel' instead of 'you're speaking with Rachel' which is pretty bad. And 'Can I please taste your telephone number?' instead of 'take your telephone number' Ahaha. Bad times lol.
    xxx

8. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I'm making a new facebook for my family members, and I decided to put a quote from the bible as one of my favorite quotes. My sister is telling me what the scripture is as I type, and she says "and God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son" so I start typing...

"his only forgotten son"

Granted, I'm a little tipsy, but still...those are two very different words.