1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Bite the bullet, do your own thing. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.

From progress to procrastination, and other things.

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Cave Troll, Sep 29, 2015.

So I put the whole writing thing on hold for a while (feeling a bit disenchanted with the 'fixing mistakes' thing). So I decided to pick up the old .5 mechanical pencil and try to get back into sketching stuff, with out copying or tracing (that is just bad form and lazy). So far I seem to still be able to draw, but I need to practice a little more (a lot more :D ). My shading needs work and so does my 'coloring' ability. Once I feel that I have spent a enough time away from writing, I hopefully will get back in the thick of things.

Thanks, and hope you're having a wonderful day. :p

(Would like some suggestions on what to draw, if you happen to have any. :) )

zoupskim, Oscar Leigh and appledotte like this.
  2. Cave Troll

Well 24 pages into the sequel to my first novel, and it looks like I am going to kill off a significant MC. Fear not for I have an important 2nd lead I can bump into the spot offering a new perspective. It is going to be sad to kill them off, but no one in their universe is invincible. Well catch ya on the flip side. :p

3. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

That's a brave thing for an author to do. (I know, because I've been contemplating it myself in a sequel, and can't quite bring myself to do it yet.)

I saw reference to your situation on another thread as well. I suspect if this person's death has a great impact on the other characters and influences the story a lot, your readers will not be annoyed. They will be upset, of course, because this is a character they've grown to love, but that's life, as you say. Just make sure the death has significance, and it's not just 'forgotten' soon afterwards, and you should be fine.

Cave Troll and appledotte like this.
  4. Cave Troll

Not sure if I should just give up the whole writing bit or not. Don't know if it is worth it to finish something that is either good, or bad. Then again I have no idea if it is or isn't. I will just assume it's the latter and try to figure out something else to write about, and it too shall be swept under the 'rug' of obscurity. :p

5. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

You really want to go on a bummer? Try going into the middle of a huge city bookstore—you know, those kinds on several floors with excalators—look around and say to yourself: "Just what this world needs. Another bloody book!"

TheWriteWitch and Cave Troll like this.
  6. Cave Troll

Unfortunately the biggest bookstore that is close is 118 miles away, and the biggest city is 173 miles away. So that is kinda out of the equation. One thing I miss about Washington, I could just spend 45 minutes walking to the downtown area from where I lived to get to a giant bookstore. :(

7. Cave Troll

Got the gears going again. Just hit a funk for awhile, but that has past. With all the crap getting praise, the world needs a few more decent authors in the mix. I ain't the best writer, but damn it I ain't the worst of 'em either! :p

Raven484 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  8. Cave Troll

Time sure flies when you are writing intense battle sequences. I really like writing from Colixia's (AKA Mother Confessor) perspective, cause she pilots a war frame. :p

Nothing like hitting hard and fast in the desert to kick off a massive war, after another tense space battle. Holy crap things are getting exciting. :D

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. PassTheDrinks

PassTheDrinks Member

I find envy in myself for those who can draw, sketch, or paint. I took an art class once and I just couldn't get the hang of it. All my work seemed to look like a 4 year old's. I was told it is how I hold my pen/pencil/paintbrush. Instead of pinched between my thumb and forefinger, I grew up holding my writing/drawing utensils between my forefinger and middle finger. I don't know if it's true that this can cause me to have not quite so good of skills in drawing or painting, but I just never got better. Would have been cool for me to be able to at least illustrate my stories.

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. Cave Troll

I hold my pencil like I write, when I draw. Depends on what your comfortable with. I am an ok artist, but to get better one must practice, practice, and the super secret hidden in the caves on a tiny island in the middle of the ocean is: practice. :p Another few tips I have is have patience and have a good pencil and a good eraser. Other than that IDK what to tell you. Try drawing simple things around the house to build up your skills. The whole hold your utensil this or that way is a bunch of crap. Hope this helps you a little bit. One day I will scan and post my concept art for my three MCs. (I have trouble with shading and lighting) :D

11. Cave Troll

Well this is a tad awkward. So um yeah. I haven't exactly been working on my sequel like I should, but on the positive it is a little over 25k. :p
    Apparently my brain has other plans for my knack at playing monkey pounding on the keyboard. Started something the past few days, called Crime Pays, and it Pays Well.
    Turns out all the horrific insanity has a need to be released, in the form of disturbing fashion with an internal sense of humor. Isn't that just lovely; evil, dark, and morbid wrapped around a twisted sense of humor and a dash of perversion. Sounds like a winning recipe at next years bake sale. :superlaugh: What am I doing with my life? Have I gone of the rails on the proverbial Crazy Train (50 Points if you can name the guitarist for the famous Ozzy song :p).

Well have the prologue and the first chapter done (I know, I'm scared too :superlaugh:). The chapter is named Munchkin Land Massacre, and is an insane, funny, disturbing nightmare of WTF.

On the upside, at least it is not as serious as the sequel which is a nice change of pace. :) Pretty sure this WIP misadventure will cross a few lines, but at least it will do it while in stitches. :superlaugh:

IDK what the hell I am doing....
    facepalm_227789.jpg

12. Cave Troll

After pounding out a couple of pages on my sequel I learned something about Corlixia, that I should have know since I created her as a character. She really does not take kindly to being called a bitch. Bad things happen to those that have the inclination to do so. :p

13. Cave Troll

Well I am going to take a break from the forum for a while. If you happen to want to get in touch with your Cave Troll then my email will be in my Profile page (some where). :p
    stacked-suitcases-3.jpg I will leave a short story for you if you care to read it (just for fun of course :supergrin:). C-Ya on the flip side. :superlaugh:

Attached Files:

14. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributing Member Contributor

Nnnnoooo, graxiuaassss!!

Cave Troll likes this.
  15. Cave Troll

Graxis is fine, and now a Major. :D Just lopped off the head of a Grey. Purple blood will flow...:superlaugh:

16. Cave Troll

Why do I wind up writing parts that make me feel so sad? Every time I kill off some secondary character that is close to a MC, it just freaking makes me tear up a bit. Man this writing thing is a bitch to the feels. :cry:

LinnyV likes this.
  17. LinnyV

LinnyV Contributing Member

I commend you that you felt real tears. I've yet succeeded in doing so for my own work. Too much bloody smirking and laughing that is really ironically depressing. :meh:

18. Cave Troll

When life throws you a road block of a damned setup to a burnt out cliche, take a detour. Unfortunately that detour happens to come in the form of a Dark Fantasy/Sci-fi thing, kinda fun to play with oddity and smash the two together. Not sure where this one is going to end up, if it ever ends, but it should be fun to write none the less. :p

19. Cave Troll

Face it senor, you are a shit writer and that is evident in your postings in the workshop.
    Put down the keyboard and find something else to do, cause writing ain't one of 'em. :p

20. Cave Troll

Up to 40.4k words. Marckus got to kill Commander Riley in a bare knuckle fight to the death. The Uldivarion Empress is a sultry looking bad ass, and throws a knife into the throat of a politician. The puppet Confederation Politicians get brutally murdered by Ober-Commander Marckus Syrilious, Major Graxis, Commander Kionnxia, the Empress and a dozen of the Empyreal Elite Guard. Negotiations broke down, and now there is a mess of Human and Grey body parts and blood painting the political hall. :)