Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

From the "Yes we are really that stupid" department

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Steerpike, Jul 19, 2016.

So we have Trump and Clinton as the main party nominees, so the electorate as a collective are looking rather like a bunch of morons already.

Now, at the RNC, we have a night filled with jingoism and hateful rhetoric, and the next morning the narrative has been largely about Melania's speech. That's how easily distracted we are, and how much we fixate on personality rather than substance. We're low information voters, and we like it that way. That's why we have Clinton and Trump (whose primary supporters are one another's intellectual equals; sides of the same coin).

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Now I understand where the stereotype of "the ignorant, stupid American" came from. We basically wrote the jokes ourselves...

Shattered Shields likes this.
  3. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

I might be biased, because I haven't seen much of life yet (I'm still young after all), but this seems to be the low point of America. I miss Barack Obama already. He might not have been the perfect president, but he's better than our two prospectives. It sickens me that my first chance to cast a presidential vote is between these two.

And then of course the third party reps, but I've read they're too radical to even consider.

Hell, I don't even know what Clintons and Trumps plans are going to be, I can't trust anything they say.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Jill Stein is worth taking a look at. No candidate is perfect, but she's a lot better than what the two main parties have thrown up.

5. Link the Writer

To be fair, the LOWEST point in American history has got to have been the dumbass who presided over this country just before Lincoln. Could've done everything in his power to avert a Civil War but nooooooo, he just had to sit right there while we Yanks decided to eviscerate ourselves and Lincoln had to deal with that headache.

And look at it this way, at least you're not among the folks who voted into office a man who got us into a war with Afghanistan and Iraq (the latter being wholly unneeded, imho) completely bonked out on the whole Katrina-New Orleans thing, basically ruined our reputation to the rest of the world among other things.

Just vote for Jill Stein, or simply leave the President ballot empty.

6. Earp

Earp Active Member

I must be really, really stupid, since I missed all the 'hateful rhetoric' at the RNC.

7. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

The hateful rhetoric began when the convention started. How'd you miss it?

8. Link the Writer

Did you just leave Vault 101? Trump had been spewing hate and bigotry since he first announced his bid to become the US President.

Acanthophis likes this.
  9. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

Don't even get me started on Bush. And the whole deal with Afghanistan started with Reagan. Who was also a Republican.

Before Lincoln was- ah, yes. James Buchanan. I found a link you might like.
    http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2014/04/james-buchanan-why-is-he-considered-americas-worst-president/

Ms. Stein sounds a bit bold in certain areas, but I'll do more thinking on the matter.

10. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributing Member Contributor

The Libertarian and Green Party nominees (Johnson and Stein, respectively) are fairly level headed, especially in comparison to the main party nominees. They're the only ones with a real significant number of states where the party is on the ballot.

11. Earp

Earp Active Member

Oh, that. Anyone who doesn't approach the immigration issue with name-calling and euphemism ('undocumented workers') is a hateful bigot according to the folks on the Left. I thought maybe I missed something new.

12. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Bite the bullet, do your own thing. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well we are a dumb society that worships our celebrities, even when they say/do dumb shit. So what is with the surprise when one of our piss poor excuse for a candidates says bigoted things. This country would be better off with an overhaul of everything, from its politics all the way down to the people being consumer robots going into debt over the latest gadget that only has one more feature from last years (not that it makes the device better). But hey proud to be a throw away society with an indeterminate culture beyond buy stuff, and blow stuff up.

And you are really surprised our politics reflects a singular wit. Trump is a bad business man, and Clinton is in need of an indictment. Well the corrosive nature of our society is working according to some plan. So dumb indeed.

13. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee The writer formerly known as Chained. Contributor

The good news is I'll only be around for about 60 more years to deal with this crap.

And if I'm being honest, I'll only really have to care for about 30 of those years, the second half is coasting.

14. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

Elderly suicide is one of the biggest demographics for suicide. Life is only getting more difficult for old folks.

Coasting, we will not be.

15. Link the Writer

If this election taught me anything, its that the stereotypes about us didn't just come out of the blue.

Oh good, as if the inevitability of death being closer than ever is one of the reasons I dread being an elderly person wasn't enough...I get to worry that when I'm old, society will treat me like a burden?

Cave Troll likes this.
  16. Megalith

Megalith Contributing Member Contributor

[solution] Become rich and famous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.