1. Pauli

Pauli New Member

Frustrated - in need of advice.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Pauli, Dec 29, 2008.

Morning :]

At the moment I'm in the middle of my two week Christmas break.

My intention was to begin writing but to be honest I've just enjoyed relaxing at home with my partner, something I very rarely do.

Needless to say I haven't done much.

At the moment I'm in the middle of directing a play I've written - a story I'm keen to follow through as a book - given I'm in the middle of the production, now would seem the perfect time to start work on it.

Yet - at the same time, I also have a non-fiction project...it's something I have a real passion for but it's a lot of work and it's ambitious. Given the current financial crisis I think it's something for the future but it's something I believe in heart and soul, it's something that could do a lot of good for a lot of people (me included) and it's something I can write about from experience.

I suppose the problem is two-fold.

On the one hand I feel I should be doing SOMETHING (despite the fact I'm directing the play I've spent the last two years writing).

On the other hand I wonder if it wouldn't be better for me to wait till March when the play is over and I will have a clean plate to start a new writing project a fresh, without distractions.

I have numerous ideas for fiction I could write. Do I go with trying to turn a play script into a novel? Something tried and tested? Will a script work as a book? Or do I think up a brand new idea that I might feel more enthusiastic about? What about my non-fiction project?

My real passion is with the non-fiction project I must say.

Do I wait till the play is out of the way rather than have two projects on the boil? (plus work)

So many questions...am just frustrated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Anne Wayman

Anne Wayman New Member

lol, first of all, congratulations on your play! And on spending time with your partner... great job.

Next, you may want to take a deep breath or two or three. There's probably no rush to get either project started as long as you do get them started... if not today or next week, "soon" whatever that means to you.

My real hint besides breathing? Take a moment or a day to just be grateful.

Works for me,

A

3. Demief

Demief Member

I think this is case to follow your instincts. Literally. This is what i do: If i want two things, i just grab for something. It doesnt matter what led me to grab to it. The fact that it was what was my decision even if it was on my mind, proves it was instinctive...i think.

If you reach for your computer and start your non-fiction, then that's what you want to do, so do it.

My logic is most likely twisted but i'm just offering my POV. Have fun.