1. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

Frustration

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Garball, Mar 21, 2014.

Sometimes (a lot of times), I feel the urge to sit down and write; to unleash my untamed mind upon the precious qwerty. I can't. I stare at a blinking vertical line asking me with each flash, "Well?"

I can line up, feet splayed, and lay blow upon blow on the featureless 250 lb sand-filled victim in the gym. I can look at all my chaotic orders for the day and orchestrate them into a Fantasia-esque cleaning party of efficiency.

When the day is over, my tall frame bent into a dreary 'C' in front of a darkened, power-saving screen, I wish I could hang that damned blinking cursor from a rafter in my garage and pummel the shit out of it.

Instead it only asks, "Well?...Well?...Well?"

And I answer, "...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Gone exploring... in the inner realm... Contributor

Well you certainly have a way with words hear. Perhaps you could look into prose poetry or flash fiction or something that allows you little spurts of characterization and expression like this. This has style, as do many of your other posts... just something to think about.

Tesoro likes this.
  3. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

Do you have a tale to tell? Until you do, nothing will happen. Not just random thoughts, snippets of dreams, but a story, no matter how nebulous, leading from beginning to end.

4. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Well you are going to have to either start writing, or change your cursor to some other shape.

5. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

You just need to believe in your dreams Garball, you certainly have enough talent to make it work. Suffering for your art is just a part of it all. Or a bit of an airy-fairy explanation, you are a chef, right? So you work with Fire all day. Fire consumes Wood, and Wood is writing. You need to cultivate that Wood by tempering the Fire with Water - calmness, meditation, contemplation, emotions, humour, relaxation. Maybe something like that can help you leave the fiery energy behind when you sit down to write. It'll make the words flow more easily and stimulate the imagination. :)

6. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

I have stories. I've even written a 92000 word ms, but it is the most difficult goal I've accomplished. Getting my thoughts to the keyboard is like Private Pyle getting his fat ass over that damn obstacle

7. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Quit talking about me in front of my face!

8. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Just write. The hardest is always to get started, for myself it's a case of procrastination more than anything else, and then on top of a dose of perfectionism and I'm a goner. Truth is I think that's the problem with most people - it's just the lethal combination of procrastination and perfectionism.

The good news is - procrastination is within your control, and perfectionism can be, with practice, ignored to some extent.

In the end, it's just a physical act of writing - the muscles you can control, and you clearly have the words, so just start writing. If it's soul and heart you're after, it's never gonna come by you *not* writing. The soul in the writing will come as you write - for now you've gotta write even if the writing feels dead.

It's just one word after another, one word at a time.

9. rhduke

rhduke Contributing Member Reviewer

I feel the same way lately. The creative mood takes hold of me but when I sit down in front of a blank document, nothing happens. It's not like I get distracted with social media or anything, I just stare at the blank screen for an hour. It seems I only get spurts of inspiration, where I actually know what to write, maybe once every 3 months. I usually just wait until those moments happen because anything else is pulling teeth. Obviously not the best way to go about it.

Garball likes this.
  10. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Contributing Member

As soon as I start writing my creativity vanishes and is replaced by rage.
    I end up writing pages and pages of angry, manic, delusional streams of semi-consciousness.

But I must admit it helps a bit, even if it's not much productive.

11. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

Perhaps it would help to talk about what you are trying to write. Why don't you tell us a bit about it.

12. Larissa Redeker

Larissa Redeker Active Member

Sometimes, when I try to write but nothing comes, I play a game, or watch a movie. One day I wrote two pages (one journal sheet) playing The Sims, and it was a part that I needed to write. I need to have my brain relaxed to write, then the ideas come.

I think that words and ideas are like feral pets, if you try to catch them they run away, scared. You need to sit down and act like you don't want anything with them. :D

13. HallowMan

HallowMan Banned

There are many online transfer essay writing service providers but not all offer the best quality service to the clients. Some of them go ahead to copy directly some of the written transfer letters and lie to you that they have written them personally for you. Transfer letters need to be original and plagiarism free for them to be considered by the admission panel of any college or institution. Admission of students to any college is usually done in a professional manner giving opportunities to students with professionaltransfer letters that are more appealing and convincing. Our services are usually screened and tailored to the basic requirements in any college of your choice. Our top notch writers are usually dedicated to delivering unique and original work as required. Most of the clients that have obtained our services have actually ended up making us their permanent transfer letter help provider.