1. James Drettory

James Drettory New Member

A Different Kind of Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by James Drettory, Jul 28, 2014.

So I'm currently working on a book that has some of the main sci fi elements. It's set on Earth, and everything is kind of the same. But the thing that makes it science fiction is because there's a lot of conspiracies surrounding the paranormal, but it's not quite a science fiction horror. I've kind of taken some of the elements from The X Files with the hopes of writing something a little bit less dark and disturbing so it could be readable to younger ages (young teen-young adult).
    I just don't know if there are any ways to write this kind of science fiction believably, so any advice would be extremely welcome. Thanks

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I have two pieces of advice. First, read as much of the genre/subgenre as you can. Second, believability isn't the most important thing IMO. Your readers will believe what you've written if you do. So other than making sure your book is logically consistent in the context of its universe, you should be fine going off your instincts.

AJC likes this.
  3. James Drettory

Thanks for your advice. I'm just wondering whether I should write it from the perspective of the main character or whether it should be written in the third person

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It's hard for any of us to say. That decision should be made by you because you know the story and characters better than we do. So only you know what's best.

5. Orihalcon

Orihalcon Senior Member

People read things that are less believable, I think. After a certain point believability takes a step back in favor of return of emotional investment. Making the reader care and invest emotionally in your story and they'll forgive minor sleights on your behalf.

Lately I've been sensing that adolescents can handle a bit more dark material than one might think. If I'm not mistaken plenty of teens read stories about physical and emotional abuse, rape, substance abuse, various forms of harmful addictions and so on. As always there are limits to consider, I suppose, but I don't think you need to hold back too much.

The choice of perspective of the narration shouldn't be arbitrary with respect to the story. Of course you should write in a style you like and feel comfortable with—though I would never advise against exploring—but if you feel comfortable in more than one POV then the choice should be whichever POV supports your story. To me, the chosen POV communicates
    • Where the author has focused the story; if they wants it to be intimate, interconnected or overarching.
    • What tone the story has. Just like length of sentences, what type of words used and focus of the story/plot itself, the POV is one of the things that shape the tone of a story.
    • What relationship the author wishes to establish with the reader.
    Thinking about these things may help you decide on what POV you want to use.

Regarding "they wants": I left it there on purpose because it made me think of Gollum. "We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksy, false!" Oh!

James Drettory likes this.
  6. James Drettory

Thanks for all of your feedback. It's much appreciated