1. potters_pimp

potters_pimp Member

Full Manuscript Request!

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by potters_pimp, Aug 29, 2008.

My manuscript has just been requested by a pretty big publisher, and I need to write a cover letter (not a query letter). How should I write it?

2. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi Contributing Member

OMG That's amazing news!! Congratulations!

As for your covering letter it's pretty similar to a query letter but, you've already been accepted so this time it's all about proving your a solid bet.

If you sent a query letter and this is a reply, then thank them for their interest, re-inforce your credentials as a writer i.e. prizes you've won, work you've had published before so on and so forth. Then give them a brief what's what of your novel. Nice, simple and professional. Stephen King wrote an excellent example of this is his 'on writing' and the writers and artists yearbook in the UK give some good advice and sample letters too.

Then thank them for their time, let them know that they can contact you whenever they like and that you look forward to hearing from them in the future. Standard letter format, make sure you use the name of the person concerned not sir or madam and put their company name in bold in their address (makes them feel special :) )

It's pretty easy just keep it concise and professional! Great news, go for it!!
    All the best,

Edi

3. Rei

Rei Contributing Member Contributor

Miss Edi pretty much said it. Congrats!

4. potters_pimp

potters_pimp Member

Thanks Everyone. I really can't wait. Wish me luck *crosses fingers*!

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Potters Pimp,

Good luck! Although it make take them a while to get back to you, keep us informed.

Terry

6. NaCl

NaCl Contributing Member Contributor

How did this publisher find out about your story? I get the impression that you did not submit a query letter and your profile says you are not yet published, so why would such a publisher contact you?

I hope my suspicions are not founded, but be careful because there are several POD (Print On Demand) and vanity press publishers that use this tactic as bait to bring in unsuspecting first time authors. After they receive your manuscript, then they "suggest" that it needs editing - of course, it's "only" $300. Then, as the process unfolds, they introduce more and more fee-based requirements before they can actually print the final book.

The moment you sign a basic contract with them, your story is compromised for submission to any other traditional publisher. A traditional publishing house is not going to invest in a novel that might require litigation. So, don't sign ANY contract. Don't pay them ANY money. And, don't submit the entire manuscript until they provide you with a contract for review. Then, get their contract reviewed by a good literary agent or attorney who has experience in publishing. Sorry to throw cold water on your happy moment but only YOU can take the necessary precautions to protect your own story.

7. potters_pimp

potters_pimp Member

NaCl, I assure this is a traditional publisher, and one of the largest in Australia. I simply sent them a query, and they requested more. I must just be lucky.

8. NaCl

NaCl Contributing Member Contributor

That's great and I wish you a lot of success. Good luck.

9. potters_pimp

potters_pimp Member

While I at it, does anyone hav any suggestions on the best, safest way to post off a 380 page manuscript?

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have to take issue with this advice, since all of that info would have been included in the query and should not be repeated in what should be a simple 'cover' letter...

all it should contain is a brief 'thank you' for requesting the ms, mentioning the title... period!...

if you want it returned, if rejected, include in the package a padded mailer of the right size as an SASE...

the best way to send a ms is in a ms box that the editors can keep it in and pass around safely... of course it should be loose, not bound in any way... and to mail it, a padded/bubble-lined envelope provided by the PO, or a priority mail box is the safest way to go...

11. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi Contributing Member

12. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter Contributing Member