1. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Funny faces and wierd gestures

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by w176, Jul 27, 2010.

I'm a person that thinks with my body and is used to tell stories in physical media as well. This is havering the effect that while writing I make strange faces, sounds and gestures. I do this to the degree that my grandma had believed me to have a brain seizure once.

For example: When I write scene is tense I'm tense and curled up. When I'm getting into a characters respective my pose change to fit that person. When I'm trying to capturing an emotion I make gestures. When someone is angry small snarls and growls leaves me as I'm typing.

Does anyone else share this quirks?

2. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

I try to control myself when I'm not alone, but when I am, I talk to myself and gesticulate, sometimes I even walk in circles in the bedroom thinking...
    When I talk to myself I can write better, I believe.

Well, I am a little crazy :p

3. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

All research says that we preform better if we get to use gestures, and talk to ourself even when it don't affect the task.

4. dogboon

dogboon New Member

I am one of the afflicted. I make the sounds of the muttering and the random flinches and thousand mile stare of the reality warped. I do have a confession besides this, I do try and expand my stories horizons by trying to dream about it.

5. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

I'm not sure. I pretty much never write in the same vicinity as anyone else. lol I have a really hard time concentrating if there are others in the room. I have noticed though, that I get very tense if I am writing a part where a character is mad or scared. Also when they are made I type/write harder. If they are scared I also type/write faster. As for the other emotions I haven't noticed. I only notice these because it starts to affect me physically. My shoulders/hands will start to ache pretty bad. haha

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't do all that stuff you do while writing, but i do 'talk to' things as well as people and myself...

for instance, i'll ask the computer or printer to please work, when being 'difficult' and thank it when it does... and i thank the rain for cooling off a hot day, will often thank all of nature and the people who grew my food, when i eat... and so on...

7. Zane

Zane New Member

I try to play all of my characters. I think it´s just a way for me, of totally become one with the character, and knowing it better. I also like to close my eyes, listening to some music,and like create a cutscene in my head, and then try to describe it the best as I can.

However i don´t do this in front of people who woudn´t understand, but with those who understand, sometimes they even help me, by playing role of some of the character :D

8. LeFay

LeFay New Member

Ha ha, I do that all the time, too! Mostly though when I'm drawing, I'll make the expression I'm trying to draw. It can get me some pretty weird looks from friends... xD

When I write, it's mostly just the dark, angry or scary scenes that make me feel the same way as the words I type.

9. constant scribbler

constant scribbler New Member

I find it helpful to act out what I am doing. I pretend I am that character to help descibe what that character is doing and what tone they use. And when I get frusterated or am concentrating I know I make wierd faces.

10. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

LMAO!

I, too, when alone and writing, will move and shift and dance around in tune to the words that appear. I over-visualize facial expressions of characters to the point that I am doing them, and will speak the lines out-loud in the manner that they should be said.

I am so glad I am not alone in my weirdness.

11. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

No, I do not do these things while writing.

I do do some odd things while working, though, that have left my boyfriend wetting himself with laughter. I work as an interpreter over the phone and I very often allow my body language to be what it would be if the clients were actually in my physical presence. William (my hubby) finds no end of hilarity in this.

When it comes to writing my work the process never surfaces into something somatoform. I tune my body out and dive into the inner recesses of my inner mind.

I'm a pisces. It's what we do.

12. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

When I write about a serious subject all my thought and emotions remain inside my head.
    But, when I write lighthearted fiction or memoir I tend to laugh out loud.
    I have seen known to go on long walks and talk away to myself (conversing with characters); when I arrive home I know what I want to write.