Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outsider

outsider Contributing Member Contributor

Further Atrocities committed by IS in Iraq

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by outsider, Aug 11, 2014.

With news this morning of some three hundred Yazidi women and girls being kidnapped and forced into slavery and a further (circa) five hundred innocents slaughtered or buried alive for the crime of refusing to capitulate to the IS extremists' demands and convert to Islam.
    Up to 150,000 Yazidis have been forced to flee to the Sinjar mountains to seek temporary refuge from the IS that stigmatise them as 'devil worshippers'.
    Is this really where we are in 2014?
    Conversely, it is fairly widely agreed that in the case of Iraq, the country and its inhabitants were far safer - relatively speaking - under Saddam Hussain's regime.
    Should the West up military activity and intervene once more?
    Arguably the coalition forces presence during the eradication of Hussain's regime and subsequent withdrawal have added to the state of disarray in Iraq, providing the perfect climate for an extremist group like IS to flourish.
    Please, discuss.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

Of course they were better off under Saddam, but he was executed like a dog by the occupying force, the archeological treasures stolen or destroyed, the country was vilified, its people reduced to insignificant through decades of unpunished war crimes perpetrated against them. There's a lot of discussion who enabled the extremists in the Middle East. USA has a long and rich history of arming extremists, using them to overthrow governments and install their own puppets, occupy territories and steal the resources, destroy infrastructure and then force their victims to pay them to rebuild everything, and then losing control of the extremists and ending up in a hot mess. Russians also armed Taliban, in their Cold War games with the US and for the sake of gas pipes and access to the Mediterranean, but they seem to have a more 'hands off' approach, through supporting Syria and Iran and letting them do their dirty work. The Saudis are wreaking havoc in their crusade in the whole Shiah-Sunni fight for religious supremacy. Israel has its own interests, as do the British. And then, there's all the oil.

Just like Afghanistan, once upon a time, Iraq was a reasonably wealthy and progressive country. Women were equal and had all the rights, to work, vote, educate, divorce, they had reproductive freedom, in other words, they lived in a civilised and modern society. I worked with many female and male doctors from Afghanistan and Iraq over the years, who told me about how things were before extremists and NATO reduced their countries to rubble. Now, people live in the desert, in holes in the ground, eating bugs and roots of plants. They die in thousands every week. There's no semblance of normal life left. In Afghanistan, crazy Islamists passed the law that makes it impossible for a woman to even testify in court that she was raped. Just look at the photos of Kabul in the 70s, and now. Losing freedom and civilisation is that easy. It's a lesson to us all.

outsider likes this.
  3. outsider

I see the situation is weighing heavily on the collective conscience of forum members.:(
    One response since Monday.

jazzabel likes this.
  4. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

There is much going on. Williams suicide and debate about how it was covered. And of course feds shot an unarmed black teenager.
    I care about the situation and I have been following it since the day one.
    I think that Iraq might be, in its current form over. Hopefully Kurdistan finally becomes reality. USA has been doing much more good than bad in this situation. I think that ISIS has ruined a chance for peaceful living for Sunnis. They are enemy's of everybody. Even other countries Sunnis are mostly against them.

5. outsider

Not to mention the Christians and the aforementioned Yazidis. Anyone that fails to convert and adhere to this perverse, extremist version of Islam essentially.

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I do care about this. In fact, I've been talking about this with another member via PM. We both agree that this situation is horrible and that it's a good thing some countries are providing support by dropping food and other supplies to those affected.

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Well yesterday I thought about posting this:

'Radicalized' father of Australian boy holding severed head has mental illness

But then I asked myself, why did it belong in this forum?

Mike Hill likes this.
  8. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

Well I consider this a place where people besides writing come to talk about current topics. I think that writing forum has much less bigots than any other forum.
    BTW does anybody know a site where people talk peacefully about politics worldwide?

outsider likes this.
  9. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Haha! That's a good one.

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It's not that we can't discuss it. And this is pretty mellow site as far as political arguments go.

I just thought twice and it seemed like running to tell everyone about such a horrible thing served no purpose. But I'd hate for @outsider to think I didn't care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.