1. MatthewOliverGrey

MatthewOliverGrey New Member

Gay Royal and Noble Titles.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MatthewOliverGrey, Nov 25, 2015.

The story I'm writing is about a young Emperor of a fictional country in the modern world. The Emperor is Gay and wishes to marry a man, which is legal in his country.

I'm wondering what Title I could give to his Husband?
    I'm not sure if "King" would work because it's technically not a Kingdom and giving him the title of "Prince" seems unfair considering the title Prince is five spaces below the rank of Emperor.

Any help on this would be great, I know there isn't any precedent for this sort of thing so really any ideas on the subject are welcome. :) x

qWirtzy and Erik-the-Enchanter! like this.
  2. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Love Poems
    I always liked the term "Consort", or "Royal Consort", but a Consort sounds like he would be subordinate to the Emperor. But it's the best word I can think of, because it can be used for both a man or a woman, whoever is married to the reigning king or queen.

Also, I'd love to read some of your story!

Simpson17866 likes this.
  3. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Cause that is historically what it was.... was going to say "Consort" though it could just be "Empress".

4. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Love Poems
    I think the point was that he wanted a different name than Empress...one for a guy. :p

5. Inks

Inks Senior Member

That was the point... is it so wrong? I think it would be cute.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

But the Emperor's husband would be subordinate to the Emperor, modern sensibilities of equity notwithstanding. Queen Elizabeth II's husband is Prince Phillip, not King Phillip because his wife, the Queen, outranks him. He was already a prince in his own right prior to the marriage.

I like Prince Consort myself, in the meaning that all royals are princes in a general sense, and because, again, modern sensibilities notwithstanding, an Emperor married to a fellah' is not a sufficiently everyday occurrence for there to be a simple and streamlined title for the lucky beau. :)

Another thought... Though it may be perfectly fine for your Emperor to marry a fellah, would there not be other rules in place as to the preexisting status of the fellah in question? Would he need to come from sufficiently noble blood that he might come to the table with his own titles and styles already in place? Might those be sufficient to continue on, in a more egalitarian sense? "Duke Edward North, Prince Consort" or something to that tune?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Apparently "King Consort" is an alternative to "Prince Consort" for the husband of a reigning queen.

Therefore, I vote for "Emperor Consort" for this scenario.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  8. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

I agree that Emperor Consort would work.

9. MatthewOliverGrey

MatthewOliverGrey New Member

Emperor Consort! That's great! Love it! Thanks Guys :) Xxx

Bewitched likes this.
  10. qWirtzy

qWirtzy Member

Please be very loud in your trumpeting when your book comes out. I am keen to hear tales from this court you're constructing :)

SilentDreamer likes this.
  11. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Where would this story be published? What country are you from, for availability reference? Are you the sort of writer who's books I might stumble upon at my local Dymocks or would I have to go searching? And what's the genre specifically? Basic premise? It sounds intriguing but I'd like to know more.