1. AspiringNovelist

AspiringNovelist Contributing Member

Gataca

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by AspiringNovelist, Aug 13, 2015.

I'm sure most are familiar with the movie GATACA -- Vincent Freeman (Ethan Hawke) has always fantasized about traveling into outer space, but is grounded by his status as a genetically inferior "in-valid." He decides to fight his fate by purchasing the genes of Jerome Morrow (Jude Law), a laboratory-engineered "valid." He assumes Jerome's DNA identity and joins the Gattaca space program, where he falls in love with Irene (Uma Thurman). An investigation into the death of a Gattaca officer (Gore Vidal) complicates Vincent's plans.

Does anyone know if an official book was written after the fact for this screenplay? Or have you read a good fan fiction writer's take?

Thanks

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributing Member Contributor

Google reveals nothing to suggest any books exist.

I thought the film was awful, personally. Jude Law's performances is laughable.

3. AspiringNovelist

AspiringNovelist Contributing Member

Are you trying to hurt me? :)

My girlfriend hates it, my daughter hates it, my son hated me for making him watch 10 mins of it. And my cat, as always, was indifferent...

I loved it...But I hated AI -- my daughter and son really liked AI. And my cat, as always, was indifferent...

My searches didn't return any books related to GATACA either. I wanted to see the writing style, not so much the story.

On a secondary topic: I wonder what the rules are for fan fiction? Can I write GATACA | The Unofficial Story?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    OurJud likes this.
  4. OurJud

OurJud Contributing Member Contributor

Hey, if we all liked the same things, the world would be a pretty dull place... Mmm, another sci-fi idea.... everyone conditioned to have the same tastes....

I really don't know what the copyright laws say about fan fiction. It exists, so I'm guessing it's okay??

5. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

I loved Gattaca and thought it dealt with very compelling themes and allegories. I think it should have won best picture that year, but it wasn't even nominated. I do not understand all the hate.