Tags:
  1. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Two Romance Readers and One Sci-Fi Nerd read Dune

Discussion in 'Romance' started by VynniL, Mar 13, 2016.

Okay, I decided to get the ball rolling and just start the new thread.

This thread relates to another thread where two Sci-Fi nerds read a romance novel and were forever changed by that experience. I admit I am stretching the truth a little but you can check that out via this link: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/watch-two-sci-fi-nerds-read-a-romance-novel.143686/

So now we're changing it up and we have two romance readers that will be @Mckk and myself who will make a genuine effort to read Dune, an epic Sci-Fi novel from the 60s and has been cited as the world's best selling Sci-Fi Novel (wikipedia).

Along for the journey will be @Commandante Lemming, the Sci-Fi nerd who will offer his own insight of this novel. Not quite sure what happened to @Cave Troll, but he might be busy using his new found knowledge of the romance genre to develop an intricate Sci-Fi love triangle/square in his own sequel. Still, the journey must continue and the new destination is Arrakis.

We welcome anyone else who wants to read it or contribute to this thread. For myself, I know I'm going to need a lot of support getting to the end!

And being a visual person, I felt we needed something to really get us into the mood for this mishmash of perspective from readers of very different genres. So me being me, a lover of all things silly, have created a novel cover that I think will get us in the right frame of mind...

upload_2016-3-13_23-15-18.png

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  2. VynniL

Current readers: @Mckk @Commandante Lemming @Wreybies @doggiedude @KokoN @LinnyV

We welcome new readers/contributors to the thread, so don't be shy to jump in.

Also, please post reports from Thurs onward for each week, but earlier if you just need to share. ;)

# Reading for Week: 11 Apr - 17 Apr

Epigraph 17 = Chapter 17

"There is no escape--we pay for the violence of our ancestors. "
    -from "The Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 18 = Chapter 18

Do you wrestle with dreams?
    Do you contend with shadows?
    Do you move in a kind of sleep?
    Time has slipped away.
    Your life is stolen.
    You tarried with trifles,
    Victim of your folly.
    -Dirge for Jamis on the Funeral Plain, from "Songs of Muad'Dib" by the Princess
    Irulan

Epigraph 19 = Chapter 19

There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression to develop psychic muscles.
    -from "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 20 = Chapter 20

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife--chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here."
    -from "Collected Sayings of, Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 21 = Chapter 21

There is a legend that the instant the Duke Leto Atreides died a meteor streaked across the skies above his ancestral palace on Caladan.
    -the Princess Irulan: "Introduction to A Child's History of Muad'Dib"

Epigraph 22 = Chapter 22

O Seas of Caladan,
    O people of Duke Leto--
    Citadel of Leto fallen,
    Fallen forever . . .
    -from "Songs of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

# Reading for Week: 18 Apr - 24 Apr

BOOK TWO
    Epigraph 23 = Chapter 23

When my father, the Padishah Emperor, heard of Duke Leto's death and the manner of it, he went into such a rage as we had never before seen. He blamed my mother and the compact forced on him to place a Bene Gesserit on the throne. He blamed the Guild and the evil old Baron. He blamed everyone in sight, not excepting even me, for he said I was a witch like all the others. And when I sought to comfort him, saying it was done according to an older law of self-preservation to which even the most ancient rulers gave allegiance, he sneered at me and asked if I thought him a weakling. I saw then that he had been aroused to this passion not by concern over the dead Duke but by what that death implied for all royalty. As I look back on it, I think there may have been some prescience in my father, too, for it is certain that his line and Muad'Dib's shared common ancestry.
    -"In My Father's House," by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 24 = Chapter 24

My father once told me that respect for the truth comes close to being the basis for all morality. "Something cannot emerge from nothing," he said. This is profound thinking if you understand how unstable "the truth" can be.
    -from "Conversations with Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 25 = Chapter 25

Muad'Dib could indeed, see the Future, but you must understand the limits of this power. Think of sight. You have eyes, yet cannot see without light. If you are on the floor of a valley, you cannot see beyond your valley. Just so, Muad'Dib could not always choose to look across the mysterious terrain. He tells us that a single obscure decision of prophecy, perhaps the choice of one word over another, could change the entire aspect of the future. He tells us "The vision of time is broad, but when you pass through it, time becomes a narrow door." And always, he fought the temptation to choose a clear, safe course, warning "That path leads ever down into stagnation."
    -from "Arrakis Awakening" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 26 = Chapter 26

What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
    -from "Manual of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 27 = Chapter 27

At the age of fifteen, he had already learned silence.
    -from "A Child's History of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 28 = Chapter 28

We came from Caladan--a paradise world for our form of fife. There existed no need on Caladan to build a physical paradise or a paradise of the mind--we could see the actuality all around us. And the price we paid was the price men have always paid for achieving a paradise in this life--we went soft, we lost our edge.
    -from "Muad'Dib: Conversations" by the Princess Irulan

# Reading for Week: 25 Apr - 1 May

Epigraph 29 = Chapter 29

Family life of the Royal Creche is difficult for many people to understand, but I shall try to give you a capsule view of it. My father had only one real friend, I think. That was Count Hasimir Fenring, the genetic-eunuch and one of the deadliest fighters in the Imperium. The Count, a dapper and ugly little man, brought a new slave-concubine to my father one day and I was dispatched by my mother to spy on the proceedings. All of us spied on my father as a matter of self-protection. One of the slave-concubines permitted my father under the Bene Gesserit-Guild agreement could not, of course, bear a Royal Successor, but the intrigues were constant and oppressive in their similarity. We became adept, my mother and sisters and I, at avoiding subtle instruments of death. It may seem a dreadful thing to say, but I 'm not at all sure my father was innocent in all these attempts. A Royal Family is not like other families. Here was a new slaveconcubine, then, red-haired like my father, willowy and graceful. She had a dancer's muscles, and her training obviously had included neuro-enticement. My father looked at her for a long time as she postured unclothed before him. Finally he said: "She is too beautiful. We will save her as a gift. " You have no idea how much consternation this restraint created in the Royal Creche. Subtlety and self-control were, after all, the most deadly threats to us all.
    -"In My Father's House" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 30 = Chapter 30

This Fremen religious adaptation, then, is the source of what we now recognize as "The Pillars of the Universe," whose Qizara Tafwid are among us all with signs and proofs and prophecy. They bring us the Arrakeen mystical fusion whose profound beauty is typified by the stirring music built on the old forms, but stamped with the new awakening. Who has not heard and been deeply moved by "The Old Man's Hymn"?
    I drove my feet through a desert Whose mirage fluttered like a host.
    Voracious for glory, greedy for danger,
    I roamed the horizons of al-Kulab,
    Watching time level mountains
    In its search and its hunger for me.
    And I saw the sparrows swiftly approach,
    Bolder than the onrushing wolf.
    They spread in the tree of my youth.
    I heard the flock in my branches
    And was caught on their beaks and claws!
    -from "Arrakis Awakening" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 31 = Chapter 31

Prophecy and prescience--How can they be put to the test in the face of the unanswered questions? Consider: How much is actual prediction of the "waveform" (as Muad'Dib referred to his vision-image) and how much is the prophet shaping the future to fit the prophecy? What of the harmonics inherent in the act of prophecy? Does the prophet see the future or does he see a line of weakness, a fault or cleavage that he may shatter with words or decisions as a diamondcutter shatters his gem with a blow of a knife?
    -"Private Reflections on Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 32 = Chapter 32

The Fremen were supreme in that quality the ancients called "spannungsbogen"-- which is the self-imposed delay between desire for a thing and the act of reaching out to grasp that thing.
    -from "The Wisdom of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 33 = Chapter 33

My father, the Padishah Emperor, was 72 yet looked no more than 35 the year he encompassed the death of Duke Leto and gave Arrakis back to the Harkonnens. He seldom appeared in public wearing other than a Sardaukar uniform and a Burseg'sblack helmet with the imperial lion in gold upon its crest. The uniform was an open reminder of where his power lay. He was not always that blatant, though. When he wanted, he could radiate charm and sincerity, but I often wonder in these later days if anything about him was as it seemed. I think now he was a man fighting constantly to escape the bars of an invisible cage. You must remember that he was an emperor, father head of a dynasty that reached back into the dimmest history. But we denied him a legal son. Was this not the most terrible defeat a ruler ever suffered? My mother obeyed her Sister Superiors where the Lady Jessica disobeyed. Which of them was the stronger? History already has answered.
    -"In My Father's House" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 34 = Chapter 34

God created Arrakis to train the faithful.
    -from "The Wisdom of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

# Reading for Week: 2 May - 8 May

Epigraph 35 = Chapter 35

The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future.
    -from "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 36 = Chapter 36

Muad'Dib tells us in "A Time of Reflection" that his first collisions with Arrakeen necessities were the true beginnings of his education. He learned then how to pole the sand for its weather, learned the language of the wind's needles stinging his skin, learned how the nose can buzz with sand-itch and how to gather his body's precious moisture around him to guard it and preserve it. As his eyes assumed the blue of the Ibad, he learned the Chakobsa way.
    -Stilgar's preface to "Muad'Dib, the Man" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 37 = Chapter 37

The hands move, the lips move --
    Ideas gush from his words,
    And his eyes devour!
    He is an island of Selfdom.
    -description from "A Manual of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

BOOK THREE
    Epigraph 38 = Chapter 38

No woman, no man, no child ever was deeply intimate with my father. The closest
    anyone ever came to casual camaraderie with the Padishah Emperor was the
    relationship offered by Count Hasimir Fenring, a companion from childhood. The
    measure of Count Fenring's friendship may be seen first in a positive thing: he
    allayed the Landsraad's suspicions after the Arrakis Affair. It cost more than a
    billion solaris in spice bribes, so my mother said, and there were other gifts
    as well: slave women, royal honors, and tokens of rank. The second major
    evidence of the Count's friendship was negative. He refused to kill a man even
    though it was within his capabilities and my father commanded it. I will relate
    this presently.
    -"Count Fenring: A Profile" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 39 = Chapter 39

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
    -from "The Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Epigraph 40 = Chapter 40

There is in all things a pattern that is part of our universe. It has symmetry, elegance, and grace -- those qualities you find always in that which the true artist captures. You can find it in the turning of the seasons, in the way sand trails along a ridge, in the branch clusters of the creosote bush or the pattern of its leaves. We try to copy these patterns in our lives and our society, seeking the rhythms, the dances, the forms that comfort. Yet, it is possible to see peril in the finding of ultimate perfection. It is clear that the ultimate pattern contains its own fixity. In such perfection, all things move toward death.
    -from "The Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

# Reading for Week: 9 May - 15 May
    # Reading for Week: 16 May - 22 May

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2016
  3. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

This will be fun.

Commandante Lemming and VynniL like this.
  4. croak3r

croak3r Member

I like the idea of people reading different genre's than they usually do. Will be keeping an eye on this.
    I was thinking about reading Dune again, after i barely got 100 pages in last time. I dont know what it is, but i find Herbert's writing incredibly confusing and i found myself not having a clue what was going on even in the most basic scenes. The Dune games where some of my favourite when i was growing up, so i really should give it another attempt.

5. VynniL

@halisme stay with us then and join in the fun. I'm hoping this experience doesn't kill me.

@croak3r well, we haven't officially started yet, so I encourage you to join us if you want to give it another attempt. I found Herbert's writing readable so far. But Sci-Fi being Sci-Fi, all the world specific language breaks the reading experience. So maybe that was why you were confused? But if you do come along for the ride, I can tell you that you will not be alone in the confused camp! ;)

Commandante Lemming likes this.
  6. croak3r

croak3r Member

I think that may have been it. I did also read it after taking a break from reading for a few years and i think my reading comprehension was quite poor back then. I've also seen the film now so i suppose that would help, even though that did leave me rather confused too.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Shall I join in? I've read the whole series (only the ones by Frank, not the abominations by his son Bryan, of which we will not speak) literally dozens of times. :) There was no YA for my generation, not really, so this kind of Sci-Fi is what I grew up on. ;)

VynniL likes this.
  8. Wreybies

Also, that little DUNE/Romance book cover thingie you made, @LinnyV .... genius. :agreed::-D

KokoN and VynniL like this.
  9. VynniL

@Wreybies a big YES! Please jump in, lather up all that Sci-Fi goodness and foam away.

The more the merrier I say. :)

I'm not even going to contemplate how many books got spawned from the original. I'm already a bit put out by the fact that Frank divided his first book into three books. That screams really loooooooong read to me...

And thank you, I pride myself on being skilled in creating tacky images just so I can have a laugh. ;)

10. Wreybies

Well, Frank didn't know (who ever can?) that DUNE would be received the way it was. Up to that point most Science Fiction was in the form of pulp novels (I collect old Ace sci-fi books btw) and the genre was seen as juvenile. In fact, there's a who slew of books from the 1950's and 60's that are literally called "juveniles" that are basically "boy's adventure novels in space". Andre Norton was the queen of the genre. Anywho.... DUNE was already a huge book by the day's standards and especially for a genre that was mostly made up of what we would call novellas today.

You mention the books that owe there existence to DUNE.... Equally fascinating are all the Science Fiction films that owe their existence to a film version of DUNE that never made it to production. There's a doco about it that's a fascinating walk through the history of Sci-Fi films from the 70's and 80's and even unto today that all come from source material from that never-realized film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodorowsky's_Dune

Just as an example, H.R. Giger was in on the creation of Jodorowsky's DUNE (which is how he eventually landed the creative roll in the ALIEN franchise) and he created an image for Baron Harkonnen's castle on Geidi Prime which appears as the "Engineer Base" in the film Prometheus (2012), part of the ALIEN franchise, artwork by Giger, who was originally attached to DUNE..... :)

[​IMG]

VynniL and Mckk like this.
  11. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Awesome cover @LinnyV hehehe :supergrin:

@doggiedude you said on the other thread you are interested in this so tagging you here :) do join in with the read!

Well I have so far read a couple of pages only and hating the weird names. More on that when I actually review this.

What are epigraphs?? :superconfused:

VynniL likes this.
  12. Wreybies

Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 11.38.03 AM.png

They are present throughout the DUNE series.

VynniL and Mckk like this.
  13. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Sorry to disappoint @LinnyV, but I find Frank Herbert's writing style to be a bit boring (sorry to everyone that likes his style :D). I have seen the movie and it gets better with age.

As far as my own writings, there is a little romance in it between Marckus and Corlixia (AKA Mother Confessor) littered throughout. I am sure at some point there will be a steamy scene between the two, that will be an interesting one to write. For now however they have split up since he is still on Mars, and she bound by her CO headed for Terra. So yeah, I have a lot of writing to get done. :p

Commandante Lemming likes this.
  14. Mckk

Using epigraphs to divide the book up sounds good to me then! :D @LinnyV

15. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

I remember seeing the movie Dune in the theater back in the 80's but didn't read the book until a couple of years ago. Thinking back on it I don't recall much. The spice, the worms, dire lack of water and some kind of prophecy.
    I can also remember going on to the next two books and by the third one I was bored out of my mind with it. So, if someone wants to pick a stopping point for the first read let me know.

VynniL likes this.
  16. Wreybies

Just my opinion since this little quest to rediscover Arrakis is someone else's invention, but I would say just the first book in the series. It's long enough as it is and Frank himself was endlessly quoted as being rather disappointed with the quality of the next two books (Children of Dune and Dune Messiah) because they were created in rather a rush, originally serialized in magazine form, and he just wasn't in the "I'm writing a novel" frame of mind when he patched them together. It's not until God Emperor of Dune that he really finds the groove again. That book is stonkingly good. :ohno::-D

17. Mckk

The epigraphs will be our stopping points as Linny suggested :)

@jannert tagging you so you can follow the thread too!

jannert likes this.
  18. VynniL

@Wreybies appreciate the historical info on Sci-Fi and Dune, I'm genuinely fascinated. In preparing for this Dune reading exercise I did do some random googling and was already quite interested by the history of the book in general. Not so much actually reading the book, but I'm hoping that will change. The few pages I read wasn't too bad at all.

Honestly, I feel there's quite a charm to this genre and I want to be converted but we'll see. Prior to this, my Sci-Fi exposure was:

1) Firefly - which is my favorite TV series ever, damn, should have swapped out that Dune dude in my cover with Malcolm...hehe
    2) BSG - I think hubby and I didn't leave the house for a couple of days watching the series back to back.
    3) Star Trek Voyager - I watched that for a while but eventually got fed up with the idea they may never get home. I find that stressful and on top of all the time travelling and alternate realities, I had to abandon it out of frustration. So as long as Dune doesn't do that to me, I should be able to get to the finish line...

@Mckk - I didn't know what epigraphs were either.

Had to google the definition and then thought, "Oh, they're those boring statements at the start of chapters that I occasionally see in romance novels, which I ignore." See? I think I'm getting more intelligent from reading Dune already... *sniggering at self*

*Pricks @Cave Troll with a Gom Jabbar*

Die Troll, you can't tell me Frank Herbert's writing is boring so early in the piece, Kindle says I'm only at page 6 out of 885!

Oh, don't forget that Graxis has the donut, icing and all, and I think he wants to feed it to Marckus. You should listen more closely to what your characters are saying in your head. :p

Commandante Lemming and Mckk like this.
  19. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @LinnyV It is just my opinion of the writing style, not saying that it will be for anyone else. (Counters with slow blade through personal shield) :p

20. VynniL

@doggiedude just caught that you will be joining us - audio style I believe? Anyway, I'm excited to have another onboard. :)

So to you, @Mckk, @Commandante Lemming (possibly deferred for later catchup) and @Wreybies (not sure if you're re-reading along with us or just doing the Yoda thing) and I think @croak3r you're still a confused maybe?

I was thinking we will all report in next weekend Sat/Sun your own local time (Aussie time for me)

We can go faster as we travel along but unless anyone objects, the reading material will be the first two epigraphs:

Epigraph 1:
    A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct. This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows. To begin your study of the life of Muad'Dib, then, take care that you first place him in his time: born
    in the 57th year of the Padishah Emperor, Shaddam IV. And take the most special care that you locate Muad'Dib in his place: the planet Arrakis. Do not be deceived by the fact that he was born on Caladan and lived his first fifteen
    years there. Arrakis, the planet known as Dune, is forever his place.

Epigraph 2:
    To attempt an understanding of Muad'Dib without understanding his mortal enemies, the Harkonnens, is to attempt seeing Truth without knowing Falsehood. It is the attempt to see the Light without knowing Darkness. It cannot be.

Cheers,
    Linny

Mckk likes this.
  21. Wreybies

Definitely re-reading along with. I just downloaded it to my kindle app. :read:

VynniL likes this.
  22. Mckk

What I didn't get was why Paul's still afraid of the gom jabbar - how's it a threat if it only kills animals, as the witch woman had already said?

23. Wreybies

She's not speaking literally. The Bene Gesserit have a different way of looking at things.

24. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Yea, I got the impression she meant differing people some of them "human" and some just "animals" in a metaphor kind of way.

25. Mckk

How was I supposed to know she's not speaking literally? All good and well to say "it's 'cause she's a Bene Gesserit," but this is the first like, 5 pages of the book. Bene Gesserit means nothing to me except that I get the impression they have high status and have their own way of teaching - what that way is or how they see things are unknown to me right now.