1. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Publishing Fever

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by guamyankee, Mar 2, 2011.

I recently finished the first revision of my first novel, and I found myself rushing through the second revision. I was thinking I'd blaze through the second revision and get that query letter in the mail. Almost halfway through the second revision, I admitted to myself that the novel needed a little more work, and I slowed down my pace.

For two days I just wanted to get that query letter out, period. I had publishing fever. Anyway, I wonder if anyone here has similar tales of times where they were tempted to query too early.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I queried too early last September but it proved fruitful - I received a few personal replies (still rejections) from agents, which was encouraging. Their advice helped me make the decision to rewrite my first book.

I have sent in one this time too early but it was deliberate. An agent that rarely opens his books opened them for a very short time. I did what i could with first three chapters and synopsis and sent them in. Worst that happens is he doesn't respond. Try again later with another book.

I am deliberatly doing one agent as a time. With each one my approach has improved. It's a learning process and like with writing I need the practice.

3. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

I think a book is NEVER ever finished. At some point, just bite the proverbial bullet. Grammar and punctuation mistakes, however, should have been corrected.

4. Silver_Dragon

Silver_Dragon New Member

That's how I feel about my work. :p As a result, I may never get anything sent out.

5. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

I am an Enneagram #1 person. Maybe you are too....one of their characteristics is perfectionist. What I was trying to say is that at some point you just need to get yourself loose. Focus on yr main storyline, not so much on every single word. Editors can always help with that (to some extent). feel free to send me a PM if you want me to proofread something (first few pages are usually sufficient). Don't take my assessment as final, but at least you'll get some feedback.

6. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I think at some point a book is finished. It must be.

7. Fiona

Fiona New Member

I can relate to this. There have been times when I've worked on something (be it a short story or novel etc) and I re-write it, check it for mistakes and grammar etc, and I still have moments where I think "Oh, I should add this" or "what if I remove that" or "shall I rewrite this part" and it goes on, and on, and on....

I understand that you need to go over your work - to make it as strong as it can possibly be - however, there comes a time where, if you believe in your book and you've done all you can, then you need to kiss it goodbye and let it meet the world.

There comes a time when a book has to become solid. I have learned that.

8. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I think a book is finished when you can at that time do no more to it. With my first it was completed and finished for a long time. At that time it was finished the rewrite only happened because of a huge improvement in my writing skills once I have edited it is completed and I am very happy with it.

9. Silver_Dragon

Silver_Dragon New Member

I think that's a good point...and thanks very much for the offer! :)