Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Gays Ruined the Rainbow

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Lewdog, Nov 2, 2014.

I'm a straight man and I like rainbows. There I said it. The thread title says it all. Ever since the gay community has adopted the rainbow as their signature banner things have changed. A person can no longer have a rainbow bumper sticker or flag, or wear any rainbow type like clothing without some assuming that they are gay. Now there are a couple exceptions most people know:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" album and the Grateful Dead rainbow bears are pretty well known.

Now I'm not saying anything is wrong with being gay. So let's not go there. I just hate the idea that now because the gay community uses the rainbow as a sort of identification code anyone that is not gay either can't display the rainbow, or they might be forced to explain that they are not gay.

Rainbows are damn beautiful naturally occurring phenomenon and should be able to be appreciated by everyone. Why couldn't the LGBT have used another symbol? How about the hot dog? It's not like people are going to quit wearing hot dog shirts or ordering them at the ballgame just because of it. Anything else for goodness sakes. Why did they have to steal the rainbow?

2. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributing Member Contributor

My own fantasy world, living the good life
    It's kind of a common thing, sadly. A movement picks up a common symbol (maybe because it's like conditioning. Gays use the rainbow. You like rainbows. You are okay with gays now).

An example is the Nazis with the swastika. The swastika really means peace, but don't go displaying it! The Nazis have ruined that.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Bam! Godwin on the first post! :rolleyes:

To the OP: We took the rainbow in hopes that color challenged fellahs would ask us about how to correctly color coordinate outfits. We totally had you guys in mind. Girls dig a guy who dresses well. It seems the idea was a little too opaque to reach the desired end result. *shrug*

Canopyvine and outsider like this.
  4. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I say, wear/display your rainbows with pride, and DON'T explain that you're not gay. Let people wonder!

Chicks dig mystery. (A lot of chicks also dig gay guys, so... double win!)

(And if you're not single and/or not looking to hook-up, there's no need to clarify anyway, right?)

5. Lewdog

The idea is so bad that the University of Hawaii used to be the Rainbows, but now they are the Rainbow Warriors.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

How about the word "gay"? It used to mean happy and joyful. Now it means gay.

And I'm gay. My language morphed without my approval. Guess what? It happens.

T.Trian likes this.
  7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You are not responsible for asinine assumptions. Love rainbows for their natural beauty, and ignore the Scheißeköpfe.

The problem isn't that the gay community adopted the rainbow as a symbol, it's that the haters jump on any excuse to soil anything of beauty or value.

So ignore them. Or better yet, spread some beauty of your own.

8. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

The swastika was the first symbol that I thought of too. I've always meant to get a nice elaborate one tattooed on me somewhere just to do my bit to reclaim it. If people think I'm a Nazi sympathiser/apologist, let them.

9. Shayla

Shayla Member

If you feel you can't tell people you like rainbows or wear rainbow stuff you clearly have a problem with people thinking you're gay. But really you shouldn't care. So what if some people think you're gay, is it really that much of a problem to simply say you aren't?

I also think you're wrong; if I see something rainbow orientated I don't immediately think - gay. You would need many other things to accompany that and even then that person still may not be gay. Too many people make assumptions without all the facts.

10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I like rainbows, I like gay people. If people want to think I'm gay because I like rainbows, let 'em. I can play the game back at them by assuming their sexuality and/or personality based on their interests.

I do the latter internally, of course. :D Wouldn't want my skinny nerd-ass to be put in a full-body cast. :D

11. Lewdog

It's called satire folks. I thought the hot dog part would have made it obvious but I guess not. I was trying to start a thread that people could joke around and loosen up a bit after all the seriousness that has gone down lately. People have become wound a little too tight around here recently. Seriously, who doesn't like rainbows? Could you see someone stand and look at a rainbow and talk about how ugly it is and how much they don't like it? That would be gay. (Kidding of course.)

12. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

I have a rainbow flag that I stick in one of my potted plants on my front porch. I also have an American flag. I don't happen to be gay, but I don't care if anyone thinks I am. If I'm not interested in dating them, it doesn't really make any difference.

But, I get the co-opting of a color -- it's been done with the color pink for breast cancer, and I can't stand it. I have nothing against raising funds for breast cancer and awareness and all that -- it's a great cause. Just like there are thousands and thousands of other great causes. I can't proclaim my support for every single cause I support, because it would be impossible (if every cause had a color.) So I hate that if I happen to buy something pink, it's like I'm claiming I am a big supporter of this particular cause, over and above dozens of others that are very important to me. (Not to even mention the fact that the organization that gets the money from most of these pink things is a horribly run organization, with most of the profits going to the people who work there, and not to research or support for patients.)

And as far as U of Hawaii, I didn't realize they were now the Warriors, but I never thought "Rainbows" was a very good nickname for a sports team. It doesn't exactly inspire fear in the opposing team.

13. minstrel

How 'bout "Gamecocks"? A gamecock is a chicken. Or "Tar Heels"? Sounds like they run really fast, right?

I'm waiting for a college sports team to call themselves the Sloths, or the Mildews, or the Lowly Worms. Or maybe the Bats. The Gotham Bats. That'll be good. :p

14. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

University of Ottawa has the Gee Gees. Most common chant at away games? "What the fuck's a Gee Gee?!"

Lemon flavoured likes this.
  15. Lewdog

There was a college close to where I use to live called the Wilmington College Fight'n Quakers. Quakers are PACIFIST!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington_College_(Ohio)

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  16. Lewdog

It's horse of course!

17. minstrel

This made me laugh. Why not just call them the Fighting Pacifists?

18. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

I believe UPenn is also the Quakers. There are fighting cocks, though. (And it makes for quite the hats and such. Many men can't resist wearing a hat that says COCKS.) Personally, I think the best mascots/nicknames are either birds of prey or the large cats. Canines and bears are good, too.

Yes, there are many goofy nicknames out there.

19. Lewdog

We are the Rainbows, and we'll shine all over you!

20. minstrel

There should be a team called the Florida Manatees. That's the aquatic version of the Couch Potatoes.

21. Lewdog

Did you know you can milk a manatee?

22. minstrel

I assume you mean a female manatee.

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  23. Lewdog

Yes and they swim slow enough you can put a rainbow flag bumper sticker on one too!

24. minstrel

Do they swim? I kinda thought they just float. :p

25. Lewdog

[​IMG]

Lemon flavoured likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.