1. Doc

Doc New Member

Well, hello.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Doc, May 31, 2007.

Howdy neighbors!
    I cannot express how glad I am to find this forum and realize that I am not a huge failure as a writer. I just lack discipline.
    I recently came home from the Iraq theater, full of stories, and just bursting at the seams to get them on paper, however, whenever I sit down to put words on paper the bourbon also starts flowing, (a proper Mint Julip is a thing of beauty) and the next thing I know I have a page and a half of random, rambling, meanderings, that wander all over the place, and say the same thing over and over and over. Awful stuff really. Painful to read. I truly do not see how ole Ernie Hemingway pulled it off. But enough about me now, you all will begin to think I'm some narcissitic fellow if I keep this up. Tell me about all of you. I am always curious about meeting new folks!

2. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Heya! Glad you found this forum!

Well, a bit about me I guess. Name's Daniel. Um... I love writing and I run these here waters.

I hope to see you active around this place.

:p

3. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I'm Rob, 24 and English and I haven't been to Iraq - I like to write but also to review / crit, which some don't.

Hope all is to your liking, see you aorund the site!

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Hey there.
    I'm Dan. Hopeful childrens book writer, who prefers writing horror.
    What did you do in Iraq? (Infantry, airforce, armour, contractor, media?)
    Cheers

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Mornin Doc,
    Welcome to the forum. Coming fromthe military, I would doubt you will find it difficult to establish a writing discipline. Here you will meet all kinds of writers, and many inspirations and challenhes to help you stick with it.

See you around,
    Dave

6. Doc

Doc New Member

My thanks to you all. "What did I do in Iraq?" Well, I was a Medic in a Transportation Company. We pulled convoy security. In other words, we drove around waiting to get blown up. Which happened often. You name a bad city I've been there twice. Not bragging here, just stating the facts.
    I think my problem with my lack of discipline has been the result of taking so much for granted, especially the craft of writing itself. One forgets that the process does take effort, that it really is not magic. My drinking really is not an attempt to chase my demons away (shades of Ernest Hemingway), but really because I'm a drunk, who lacks discipline.:D
    I am starting to come to terms with that, and that is why I'm glad I found this site. Simple accountability.
    Now let me finish my breakfast martini and I'll post a few more things for perusal. Once again thanks.;)

7. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Hey there, welcome to the forums :)

8. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

hey,
    Welcome to the sit :) I'm Heather, i write all sorts of stuff but mainly poetry and short stories. i look forward to reading some of your work when you post something :)
    Heather

9. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    That must have been a nerve wracking job. At least it should give you an interesting perspective as a writer.

10. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Well Doc welcome to WF.org, I do hope you have a most pleasant time here with all of us.
    I love to write poetry and dabble a bit in short stories...mind you never posted any of them :D
    But I do look forward to seeing some of your work around the board in the near future.

~Torana