1. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

What is My Destiny?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Snoopingaround, Sep 7, 2014.

I know that I have one. Maybe one of you can tap into the hyperconciousness we all share and tell me what it is please. What is my future going to be like? Will my plans be realized? Will I change the world, like I imagine, or am I just deluding myself? I am endeavoring to do this now, planting the seeds to set it all in motion, I am working for it, and making progress. But will it succeed? Will I do that awesome, amazing, unexpected thing that changes the world? Will I achieve it? Will my existence have an impact on a global scale, on the present and future generations? I must know. I must conquer. My heart burns with incredible desire.

I want to have so many adventures. So many remarkable experiences are in store for me. The immensity of the universe, the variety of the world, the endless mass of people, so many people. People can change your life you know. There are so many possibilities. I am still alive. And so are you, if you are reading this. That must mean something. We have to do something with that fact. Our time is limited. You know this, right? I have to do this great thing with my life. I have to bed so many women, especially that beautiful brunette I met in Miramesa. But I don't know where she lives. Where does she live? I am going on this journey, but I don't know all of the details, it is so complex and I can't control everything. There's going to be so many incredible, exciting, terrible and wonderful days and nights ahead of me. There will be struggles, joys, triumphs, victories. But I will be damned if it ever becomes boring. That has to be the worst thing out there, to live a boring life. My victory. The ultimate victory. I have to make it come true. I am not a god. But I have talent, and vision, and passion, and will. My destiny is out there in front of me. IT WILL BE REALIZED. I WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN. THIS I VOW.

2. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Destiny is a funny thing... the moment we think we've got it pinned down, it changes... Perhaps someone more aware and in tune could tell you what may be in store, but in my experience.the infinity of possibilities whittles down (and yet continuously expands) with every decision, in every instance. It is not a destination, but a path you walk.

Perhaps someone more in tune with the collective consciousness could retrieve your purpose or mission from your soul memory, but I doubt this is the place to find such a one. your best bet may be to find a psychic or a past life or higher self regression therapist in your area... if your really interested... otherwise you could continue your walk and try to connect with your inner self, where you may find--I believe--your soul memory... Others did it before us, I'm sure, so why not?

In any case, I suppose that is my long way of saying I cannot help you. Although, I'd be very interested to meet anyone who claims they can. It may sound too good to be true.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I don't think 'Destiny' exists at all. You make your own future.

wade-newb and Canopyvine like this.
  4. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” Hunter S. Thompson

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

If you believe in Destiny ...and I kinda do ...you need to leave yourself open to it.

It's your irrational instinct that will guide you most correctly. NEVER go against your instincts or try to talk yourself out of them. They won't always be front and center operational, but when they are, pay attention to them ...no matter how irrational they seem.

Don't ask me where they come from. I'm not a mumbo-jumbo person. But I do know that I've encountered many 'pivotal moments' in my life. Whenever I've gone with my instinct during those moments, the right things have happened. Sometimes in the face of huge opposition from friends and family. And sometimes in the face of what seems to be a whim.

I remember one really significant thing that happened to me because I chose to walk on the opposite side of the street from my usual choice. I remember consciously being 'pushed' to cross the street, and I gave in to the puzzling pressure, despite knowing I was going to miss something I'd planned to see on the other side. Pivotal moment.

Also pay attention to dreams. I don't mean dreams of prophecy regarding events that are going to happen which can be VERY screwed up. I mean dreams that tell you how you REALLY feel about something or someone. Dreams rarely lie. They are your subconscious at work, and they cut through the crap you tell yourself all day long. They give you the truth. It might be a pleasant truth, or an unpleasant truth. But what they tell you about people or situations you're dealing with is the truth.

If your dreams tell you certain people are untrustworthy that doesn't mean they actually are. What your dreams mean is that you THINK they are. You can go from there. If you've been going around all day saying 'I trust him, I trust him, I do trust him...la la la la la,' your dream will let you know you're fooling yourself. You don't trust him. Check it out.

6. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

BORING IS BEST

You see the famous and trite Thompson quote is all well and PC. As for the idea of destiny - is it, your condition, like when one is nineteen years old?

'Right, any minute now I shall rocket...when I am ready, okay all my systems are checked and fizzzin, when shall I start my experience for me, somewhere is the starter pistol man watching me twitch, he must be, "Simon, Simon my poetry." I can't quite see him. I shall just relax a little while, oh zzzzzzz I am 54..! There must be something wrong here, a god, not dust is me, oh no, why did I sit here, helf mich, well it was not so bad.'

Slowly the me-neediness evaporates, he bonfires the acoustic collection, testosterone dribbling away down the gutter of a past, sweeps all sperm into the bushes, and begins to see why he married her at all and appreciates fine cups of tea,

'Darling, the sun is shining.'

He sighs in the deck chair. No longer must he fuck-chase the entire planet of the apes; at last now shrivelled into the prettiest hovel, a dog is purchased...ehmmm, recipes. Grandson Kelvin arrives.

'Why don't you cut your hair, young man?'

Rather, grand dad has ridden a few himself, and has a couple of tales to spin. It is in the telling apparently.

Mckk, Wreybies and jannert like this.
  7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

That about sums it up! :)

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Destiny is a good name for a vessel. As a literary device, I would leave it with Greek tragedy. That's not to say it hasn't had strong proponents in modern fiction (for example, Frank Herbert used it heavily in his Dune series), but I personally don't care much for it on a visceral level. Destiny is the counter-argument to free will.

9. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

There will come a time when the powers that be-the banks, the secret families, and the war machines-will drag man and woman from their homes and they will say to you,"we require only your soul. Do you choose to live or die?"

Then you will have your chance.

10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Agreed with all save for Kelvin. Uch. What a terrible name.

11. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

I am not sure this is true. It reminds me of the argument that scientists had for many decades, discussing whether light was a particle or a wave. It is in fact both. Logically, it appears that one must choose one condition for a thing to be or the other, surely it can't be both? But yes, they do not contradict, as observed in Nature.

I think there is such a thing as destiny, and it is guiding your life right now. But at the same time, you also have a choice at any intersection you come across. There are multiple destinies, but you cannot have a destiny which is outside of your possibility sphere. Like, if you are a man you may never give birth to a child, but if you are a woman you may be in a sense destined to either give birth to a child or not.

I find it fascinating to think about this kind of thing. Time, space, possibilities. The journey through life...

Andrae Smith likes this.
  12. PensiveQuill

PensiveQuill Senior Member

Destiny? Meh. I'll take it as it comes. So far my destiny in life has been to realise that people act like dicks a lot of the time, for reasons no-one can fathom. I ran into a major dick the other day, he surpassed even my estimation of his dickheadedness. Life is like that, surprising.

What gets me the most is just how serious people take the trivial. As if where in the office you sit really matters, or who takes notes at meetings and whether or not you should have been promoted by now. Calm the fuck down and get a life is my attitude to all of this politicking. Human's have created an art form out of stressing themselves out over little things. No wonder we all die of internal organ malfunctions, it's almost like our body's just go screw this! I can't take another dose of cortisol on the back of your rampant freaking out!

One day I'll do something fabulous, I haven't decided what yet. But in the meantime I'm not taking any of this shit seriously. Why? Life is absurd and probably has zero meaning. I know we'd all like a special mission in life but hey there probably isn't one. I'm just a zygote that eventually popped out into the world. The idea that I'm here to materially change reality as we know it, is pretty crazy.