1. PastPresentNFuture

PastPresentNFuture New Member

Controversy

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by PastPresentNFuture, Jul 3, 2011.

Many books have been deemed controversial, by certain organizations. Dan's Brown's books for one. What are your opinions on books that might spart negative opinions by several groups?

2. wolfi

wolfi New Member

The writer is doing their job, a lot of artist (i think writing is an art) are there to
    A. entertain
    B. prove a point
    C. inform about things we might not want to admit

3. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Dan Brown is controversial because he claim his stories (DaVinci Code, for instance) is based on fact, but in reality most of the so-called facts are wrong. Not to mention the whole "secret" in DaVinci Code has been known for decades. He had the correct book at the correct time, that's all. I love the whole genre, but he is by far one of the worst writers I've read.

As for negative opinions by several groups, I think it's a good thing. It gives peopel a reason to talk about the book, and how can you talk about it if you haven't read it? And how can you read it if you don't buy it? ;) (That's a flawed logic, I know. But you know what I mean.) :redface:

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I love it when a book is controversial. It shows me three things:

1 - Not everyone is apathetic.
    2 - People still read.
    3 - Some people can be amazingly stupid.