1. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

Oh sweet raccoon this is painful

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Albirich, Feb 5, 2014.

I removed two wisdom teeth on the left side last friday, because they stood weird and had to be removed sooner rather than later. Since then I've been feeling so sooo sooooo soooo horrible. I've been feverish, trouble sleeping, a lot of pain, headaches...I've been extremely nauseated and just fucked up.

I've taken painkillers... a good amount of them too. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. As of right now, it's 2:30 am and they are not working. I feel like dyin, the pain is immense, and I can't sleep. I haven't been at school either...for good reasons these times...but uhghghhg, I can't handle this painaruu

The dentist told me that he got them very easily out and didn't have to cut anything so the pain wouldn't get too severe. He did not stitch, I did not ask why, but I'll assume it is because he got them out so easy.

I wonder if anyone here has had a wisdom tooth / teeth removed and if they've experienced same as me? I could go back to the dentist but I really don't see the point, I know it is not infected and I really really doubt it's dry socket. Kill me now pls, my head feels like concrete.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I had my wisdom teeth out. The dentist gave me Vicodin ES as a painkiller, and it was very effective at keeping the pain down to a dull roar. It healed up well and within a week, I had no more pain and didn't need the Vicodin anymore.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I had all four wisdom teeth and all four first premolars pulled as part of getting into braces. My dentist was generous with the vicodin. Also, I was at university at the time and a wake-n-bake smoker, so...

4. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I had my wisdom teeth out. Took no painkillers, had no complications, minor pain the first day and no pain the second. Never heard of them not stitching...maybe by doing that your nerves are exposed to air and that is why you are having such a hard time?

5. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

Vicodin? I don't know if we even have that in Norway, I didn't get any type of painkiller, he just told me to use the general type that one usually has at home, or you can just buy it in the store ( It's called Ibux and then there is Paracet, I got both and use both )

No, that's not the reason for my pain, because after bleeding for a while it adds a protective layer or something and it kind of defends it :D No. I think if it is exposed it is called dry socket? I might be wrong though, I have not done any research other than crying about pain.

Now that I recall though, he told me to just call if I had any more pain and he'd stitch...hmrph.

6. marshipan

Dry socket is when the blood clot isn't there (didnt form or get's jostled out of place) and so the nerve/bone is exposed.

Hehe, maybe you should.

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Goodness, @Albirich, get yourself in to be checked for infection ASAP! If it's not infection it's dry sockets, either way you need to be seen by someone.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Vicodin is acetaminophen and hydrocodone. I don't know what drug names, if any, are used in Europe.

Dry socket is easily treated by a dentist, and part of that treatment is an anti-inflammatory to relieve the pressure on the nerve, and prevention or treatment of infection.

No need to tough it out, unless you're really hoping for that endorphin rush that may never happen.

9. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

I think the European equivalent is Tramocet, which is a mixture of Tramodol and Paracetamol but I've never heard of anyone being prescribed it for dental pain.

I don't know about other regions, but my dentist won't prescribe strong painkillers for extractions. Even for wisdom tooth removal.

10. marshipan

It's standard where I am to be prescribed Vicodin for wisdom teeth removal.

11. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

Ugh, well, I'm lazy and I'd rather stick up with the pain than move...sadly. The massive pain subsided eventually, and well...I'll survive, but the pain does annoy me at times, I once hit the table in frustration and now I got a little bruise on my hand :(

This freetime from school (even though I ditch it very often) has allowed me to finish a whole chapter and started on two others. Though of course the teachers probably thinks I'm ditching school right now, I'm like the boy who cried wolf :-D

12. GingerCoffee

Hopefully that means you no longer feel feverish and don't see increasing redness and inflammation around either tooth socket?

13. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Glad you are feeling a bit better at least. Once the socket starts contracting and sealing, the pain eases off quickly. That's the good thing about mouths. They repair fairly quickly.

14. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

Well, I feel a little feverish, but I've gotten used to it, and as long as I keep a regular dose of painkillers I don't feel the pain that much.

And no, I don't see any increasing redness or inflammation around either socket :)

15. GingerCoffee

Take your temperature, @Albirich, just before your next dose of pain meds or first thing in the morning before you take another dose, because paracetamol (acetaminophen) which is likely in your pain med masks a fever. If you have a fever, don't wait to be seen. If you don't, then carry on.

If the pain is subsiding then infection becomes less likely. But you shouldn't second guess, use a thermometer, and make sure meds aren't masking the sign.

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Also, if it is throbbing, it is at least inflamed, and quite possibly infected. But if it's not less painful after 3 or 4 days, you really should consult the dentist.