1. Bick

Bick New Member

Any bakers/cooks out there?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bick, Jun 8, 2007.

Just wondering. For the past two years I've really gotten into baking. I'm actually really good at it too. I hope to go into a Culinary Arts school. I'm just caught between my two loves of writing and baking.

So, at the moment I'm trying to make my own recipes. Shockingly they are coming out pretty well. So far I have made an awesome recipe for chewy chocolate peanut butter cookies.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm not a professional cook, but I enjoy cooking as a hobby. When it comes to baking, I don't often bake desserts, but I bake bread - white, sourdough, oatmeal, and rye breads, also rolls and popovers.

Other kinds of cooking I enjoy are chili, curries, and other fiery main dishes; pizza, asian dishes, goulash and other stews; and barbecue.

Of course, I also love to eat!

My daughter started out in culinary arts college last year (a le cordon bleu school) until she switched over to graphics arts.

3. Bick

Bick New Member

I'm not great at just cooking dinner dishes, although I like to attempt at it. I've done all right when making a Japanese chili, and some Tofu dish that my grandmother's mom made.

My mom's boyfriend makes this amazing chili, which is why I'm going to make her marry him if he ever pops the question.

I've only made bread by a bread machine, I guess it kind of takes the fun out of it. Do you use just the oven for your bread?

4. Cogito

Yes, I always bake bread in the oven, although I do use a stand mixer for the dough before I knead it by hand.

5. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

When it comes to pies and soups I can cook up a storm....just don't ask me to bake a cake cause it will turn out like a rock...but still taste good if you can eat it lol

6. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    I can grill and bake, nothing else. Hamburgers, cookies, whatever, so long as I don't have to do any real work...

7. Torana

Ever tried an apple and kiwi fruit pie? They are really nice, I make them a lot, gotta get the ingredients just right though or it don't taste the best.
    Also another good thing is granny smith apples and dill seeds in soups, provided it is a vegetable soup, goes rather well in my opinion.
    Sorry I love making pies and soups ^ ^

~Torana

8. TVDinner

TVDinner New Member

I love to cook. I wold not consider myself any type of professional BUT I do try more and more difficult recipes with different types of meats and products. I really enjoy cooking. It truely is an art.

9. Bick

Bick New Member

An apple and kiwi fruit pie sounds really good.

My recipe turned out terrible this time. I need to really get it down before I actually call it a recipe. Last time it was perfect, accept it wasn't sweet enough. This time it was sweet enough, they just didn't stay chewy like I want them. I def. want to go to a culinary art school.

10. A wind of whimsy

A wind of whimsy New Member

I am usually found exploring the depths of my imag
    I love cooking. A tradition I've got going is baking my family biscuits and things for Christmas presents. It's a lot of fun. But due to multiple assignment syndrome the only thing I've cooked latley is pasta with some store bought sauce. :/
    But I found a website with lots of yummy vegan recipes. The holidays are coming up soon so I can cook then, yay!

11. TVDinner

TVDinner New Member

I like www.cooks.com

you can basically put in any food and it will give you multiple recipies, instructions, etc. Great site IMO

12. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I cook quite a bit, I even thought of going to culinary school, until I learned the hours that a chef pulled.
    I can't bake bread by hand, its been compared to "Dwarf Bread" from Terry Pratchetts Disk World. Hard, heavy, and it has broken knives.
    But my pizza dough is excellent, and I'm really good with meats. I'm also told I make a mean fish chowder. (I don't like fish so I didn't like it.)
    And I don't do most soups. I can never seem make them properly. They're either too greasy, too over spiced, under spiced, or in one memorable instance flavourless. Literally, you could feel it in your mouth, you knew something was in there, but there was no taste, water has more flavour.
    When I get the urge I make really nice salads. They're my own creation and since I tend to use a lot of inspiration, I throw in all kinds of ingredients. It usually makes them an interesting treat.

I never thought of putting apples into soup. If I work up the courage to try making soup again I'll have to give it a shot.

13. Frost

Frost Active Member

I dont cook. I can cook, I just dont like it.

14. Torana

It all depends on what you are adding to your soup and you must make sure not to add more than a couple as you don't want to over power the soup, it is merely added as a flavour enhancer really. I only ever make vegetable soups, with every vegetable I can get a hold of at the time.
    I do feel that a little bit of white wine goes well though when you are making vegetable soup especially when you add the apples, althoug I tend to only add 2 apples to them, but each to their own.
    Give it a go, the worse that can happen is it tastes bad lol :D

15. Cogito

One interesting soup I made a couple years ago, from a recipe sent by a friend, was a curried parsnip soup. It was a rich and creamy puree that included apples in the recipe, and it was garnished with crunchy browned minced garlic.

16. Onoria Westhrop

Onoria Westhrop New Member

I love to cook, but as for bread, I have a bread-maker. You just chuck the ingredients in the box and outcomes bread/crumpets etc. I think it's better than buying it because this way you know how much salt/sugar you put in! The rest I just use celeb' cookbooks, the sainsbury's supermarket website and my trusty Leiths technique bible- the ultimate cookbook.

17. sashas

sashas New Member

I think cooking is one of the most relaxing things on this planet...
    After a stressful day at college, I just get some beer, put on some Pearl Jam, and cook my favorite curries or pasta sauces on the lowest heat possible.

Though I would never pursue it as a career, cooking is still one of my fav things to do

kinda weird, coming from an 19 yr old...

18. Cogito

Not so weird. I started cooking when I was 14 or 15.

Funny thing though. When I worked as a research chemist, nearly everyone in the lab I worked at cooked creatively. Our pot luck dinner parties were amazing!