Get fit thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LordKyleOfEarth, Apr 2, 2010.

1. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

5 minute planks?:eek:

wow....

anyway, I was weighed today...I'm almost 230 and I'm only 5'11"

I'm obese by the charts but my waist is smaller than it's been in months and I'm running about 3 miles every other day. I'm lifting weights too and doing upper body workouts, maybe I'm gaining weight in muscle which I don't mind then.

so...what do you guys think? is rice good to carb up with before a little workout? It may not be as good as pasta or potatoes but it's really cheap O__o

2. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I'm sure its fine. Be sure to get some carbs post workout too!

3. jonathan hernandez13

whoops, uh oh!:redface:

I just thought you were supposed to get proteins after? O__o

4. LordKyleOfEarth

You need carbs (some) to generate an insulin spike and get food to your (now depleted) muscles. Don't go overboard, but get some carbs along with that protein.

5. jonathan hernandez13

ah, I see...

thanks, I'm glad I know that now:D

6. LordKyleOfEarth

Went to a party last night with my brother. We are both working toward similar goals right now (we're twins, so we compete over EVERYTHING).

He killed a six-pack and a half of heavy beer. I had one. He slept late and then ate pizza this morning, I got up early, ate some oats and hit the gym.

I know that I am making progress. He was complaining that he has gained weight, but is now lifting less than when he started (his big issue, which he denies, is lack of sleep/recovery time).

Feels real good man.

Also at the gym today, there was a group cardio class going on. They provided snacks in the back of the room. Fruit punch and 4 types of cake :roll eyes:

7. jonathan hernandez13

awww Kyle, you guys are cute:p

wow, sugar water and cake at a cardio class huh? They might as well serve chocolate milk and iced cream while there at it >_>

My dad bought me chinese and I was like "dude, no junk food, I'm overweight!"

he said "call it whatever you want", I was like, mmm, yah, junk food!

I got a tetanus shot in one arm and a flu vaccine in the other. One arm feels sore as hell and I have mild flu-like symptoms now. I have to do something today though otherwise it's a waste. Especially considering that I carb'd up last night :cool:

8. LordKyleOfEarth

You can always just walk for a long while. Beautiful days are great for it.

9. LordKyleOfEarth

Changed things up today.

I realized that I am bored to tears with the personal trainer's routine, on top of just not liking it at all. It has me doing the same routine every day [no variety], and working to the point of exhaustion [irregular sets, do to irregular tiredness levels each day], which shows inconsistent gains [so I lose focus/motivation].

So I dusted off the ole 5x5 that I had been on previously, added some extra core work, and hit the weights. Felt so good at the end. I am SORE but I'm sore in the best of ways. I can't wait to get back to it on Wednesday.

How is everyone else doing?

10. jonathan hernandez13

feeling good, starting to see results, I can easily slip into pants that used to fit tight

my gut is gone, I just have a little bit of a pooch sack left, and my love handles from the front are just bumps now but I still have love handles in the back, the infamous backhandles:eek:

my manboobies are gone, I'm starting to get a chest back, and my arms are not huge but getting muscled (I use light weights when I lift).

running wise my stamina is improving, and instead of just jogging I may be able to start running for time again - no way I can race some of you rabbits but I might be ab;e to do a 24 min/3 mile soon:rolleyes:

I think the biggest help was me changing my diet. I avoid all the junk and eat smaller portions. I still don't starve, but I don't give my body a chance to store any excess, I'm always metabolizing:)

11. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I was going kind of back and forth with keeping motivated and eating right for a while-it's hard to stick to a healthy diet when your husband isn't doing it with you...too much temptation in the house-but then Joel got his new job in Vegas. The chief flight instructor told him he needs to weigh in at 195 with everything he's going to have on him for the flight, which means it's time for him to get back to eating healthy food and working out. Yay!

I started using a virtual trainer online to keep track of what I'm eating everyday, what workouts I'm doing, and about how many calories I'm burning. It has really helped me. Also, now that Joel is eating what I'm eating and working out with me, working out is a lot more fun. I used to alternate every day between three routines, but right now we're choosing new things to do every couple of days, trying to settle on something that we really enjoy. I want to start going skating every few nights, too, but Joel doesn't have rollerblades yet, so for now that's really me skating in circles around Joel while he walks with me. It's going well, though! And it's nice to be getting back into it with Joel instead of by myself.

12. MCWhite

MCWhite New Member

I'm getting over being sick with some fierce flu or something. Almost three weeks of feeling like crap. I lost 15 pounds. It seems like half of it was muscle. :( So I've got to start over and build my strength back up. 5'11", 140 lbs. That's bad. And upsetting, since I've spent so much time working out only to have it all taken back. The upside is, I'm a faster, more agile runner now. Weight loss made an enormous difference there.

13. Alan Lincoln

Alan Lincoln Active Member

5 years ago i was 19 stone 9 pounds. A walking heart attack waiting to happen. I wanted nothing more than to join the Army and be an infantry soldier. I lost 9 stone 10 pounds and got in to the Army and achieved my goal, proudest time of my life. Only way of doing that was by working hard!!! and it would only be BS if i said otherwise to lose weight and get in shape. Biggest enemy to training and losing weight is yourself. It's all in the mind. Tell yourself you can't do this, can't do that then nothing will happen. Give training a bit of 'F**k you' attitude and nothing will stop you from achieving any goal you set your mind to. Motivation is the engine and determination is the fuel, make sure they are in good supply or your not going to get anywhere.

I strolled in to the Boxing gym 5 years ago being a green overweight amateur and now, down the road, i help train new gym members on fitness and Boxing tech. Dont listen to advertisements saying 'get ripped in 4 week's' blady blady blah or Protein shake will make you big and strong crap. Watch what your eating (common sense stuff; stay away from greasy, deep fried rubbish and eat healthy) and as long as you eat under the ammount of calories you burn off on a workout (burn off 1000 cals you can eat quite alot of things :D) you'll see the weight drop off of you after a good week or two. It's hard work but just hang in there and you'll see it work. But remember; to lose weight you have to eat!!!!! don't starve yourself or the body starts to feed off of itself and you'll only wind up in the hospital looking like you've just bimbled out of Auschwitz.

Eating keeps the motabolism going therefore burning off the belly. If you want to build muscle, stay away from Protein shakes; just annother way for the gyms to rake in cash. You don't need it. Everything you get in that tub of powderised crap you can get in FOOD, your body can tell the difference between shakes and food and it doesn't mess arround. As punishment, it turns it in to fat!!!!!!!!! which isn't good. To build muslce you need to follow some sort of programme which you can always ask a local gym instructor to sketch down for you. I ate skinless chicken, steak, fish, veg and fruit whilst training for the armed forces and by christ it worked, haha. No shakes needed and you save money! :)

Now here's something you wont hear from gym instructors. After eating and training healthy for a little while (don't go mental though and start stuffing your face! haha) you can treat yourself to a one off meal, something you love to eat like KFC or something equally naughty. I was suprised at the time to find after eating a KFC after a hard month of training i lost 2 extra pounds rather than put any on. But be carefull for obvious reasons lol.

Don't want to sound like a Mr know it all here, just spotted the thread and because fitness is a HUGE part of my life and my past job in the Armed forces. I thought i'd just add my brief little bit here to see if it helps. If you want any tips or advice just send me a note, i'll help you and won't charge you anything, haha :) take care folk's and keep up the hard work, nothing is impossible.......

14. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

This thread makes me so happy. :)

Since my resolution to get healthy back in mid-January, I've lost a few pounds and gained quite a bit of muscle. Unfortunately, I have PCOS, which makes it extremely difficult for me to lose weight like a "normal" dieting person should, so the progress has been slow, but at least it's been steady. I weigh 127 pounds right now, and my goal is to be under 110 by the time I leave for university, and hopefully I can maintain a weight between 100 and 110 for the rest of my life. My goals are to be 125 on graduation (Monday), 115 by July 20, and under 110 by the time I get to university (August 25 is move-in day). My goal after that point is not to lose anymore weight, but rather not gain the Frosh 15. :rolleyes:

A typical week this summer looks like this:

Mon - Horse jumping lesson (about 2 hours) and generally lugg-ery (setting up courses, etc, 1 hour)
    Tues - Total upper body workout (a little over 60 minutes)
    Wed - HiiT workout (30 minutes) and core (15 minutes)
    Thurs - Horse riding (no lesson) --jump and flatwork-- with friends and probably trainer (anywhere between 2 and 3 hours)
    Fri - Lower body workout (45 minutes)
    Sat - Off
    Sun - Running (1 hour)

The total calorie burn for me is around 2500-3000 calories a week, I think. Yay. :)

15. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Man, way to go, Merc! :) I hope you hit your goals!

16. summercat

summercat New Member

Weight gain

Um, I'm not sure if this thread is for me, but it says "get fit" which I'm certainly trying to do.

I've followed a horrendous, sugar-loaded diet all my life. Thing is, I'm trying to gain weight. Malnourished all my life, but especially the last few years. Weighed about 92 lbs. There have been times when I literally went weeks, if not months without eating a single vegetable (except maybe what was in fast food burgers).

Only a few months ago did I realize (admit?) that developing type-2 diabetes was a concern. I've started eating right since mid-February. The last 2 weeks have been really trying, though, as I'm attending summer school full-time, plus looking for work and I rely on public transportation. So I've just had to grab whatever I could, which of course included too much fast food. I've definitely noticed the difference when I eat/sleep right, get enough water. Also trying to deep breathing, meditation.

I'm also trying to re-integrate exercise but that's tricky, too, after several years of basically no physical exertion. I used to love hiking, and I'm hoping to get back into that, but Arizona in summer is not particularly conducive to that particular form of exercise. Plus I don't have a car. I'm hoping to join some kind of hiking club out here, been meaning to find one but haven't got around to it.

17. LordKyleOfEarth

Hey Summer!

Its cool to see another person who is not trying to lose weight :)

Google the GOMAD diet. Its a healthy way to pack on pounds, not fat, its proven effective (among bodybuilding circles), and best of all CHEAP.

It stands for Gallon Of Milk A Day. Care to guess the basics :)

18. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Be careful typing that, or you'll end up with a diet that is complete bollocks.

19. jonathan hernandez13

I don't have a scale handy but I know I'm losing weight because my pants are starting to sag and I'm able to fit into pants that didn't fit months before

It's hard to tell but my tummy is going down, it goes in and out sometimes, like I can't completely get rid of it, but I know that overall this will all pay off:rolleyes:

I almost sustained my first injury today though lifting light weights, I should probably stretch and lift every other day.

Gaining the stamina now to run every day without hurting myself, but it's all a matter of not being too lazy. Better 5 days a week than 3 which is what I was doing before.

20. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

Very punny sir.

Does anyone know a good way to bulk up specifically your shoulders and arms? Toned muscles are good but I'm looking specifically to make them appear wider and bigger. Trying to pass as male is hard when your shoulders are thin and your arms look like spaghetti. Clothes don't fit right.

21. jonathan hernandez13

Hey Jacko!

Pushups, lots and lots of pushups. There are other ways, like lifting and taking protein and stuff, but pushups are cheap and effective, work for me. O__o

22. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

I do ten push-ups every night, if I can remember. Plus, PE helps.

I also plan to sign up for Judo classes over the summer, so yeah.

23. jonathan hernandez13

Only ten a night? Joking, ten a day is good, it's hard to make excercise a habit. What's PE? O___o

24. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

Physical Education, maybe.

I've been doing pushups like crazy, and I'm finally getting a pull-up bar sometime in the near future.

25. jonathan hernandez13

Pullups are also very good, they will make you stronger too. Remember not to kick or swing though, and go all the way up and down, that's the wat we did it in the Corps...arrr arr arrr