1. MeadhbhMoryx

MeadhbhMoryx Member

Get Ottoman Empire into Britain

Discussion in 'By the Genre' started by MeadhbhMoryx, Jun 10, 2016.

Hey guys,
    Any history buffs out there with a keen knowledge of the Ottoman Empire?!
    I want to get them into Britain and to do so in a- as historically reasonable way as possible.
    No laser shooting Aliens!
    Eg: Say if The Holy League naval fleet was destroyed by a storm before the Battle of Lepanto in 1571, could the Empire have then ravaged the coast of Spain??
    And say the Barbury pirates, smelling success joined the pickings and then say a plague followed (as often happens in war time) and killed like 20% of the pop of Spain and France. Any chance the OE could have sucessfully invaded Spain, after a space of time successfully invaded France and then got to England?
    I am adamant to get them into Britain but need a history head to help me! I wish to be somewhat historically reasonable about it if possible. Thanks. :)

2. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributing Member

I'm not an expert on the OE, but this does seem like a very long shot. Consider the distances and therefore the logistics involved in such a series of invasions. The Romans managed to control the eventual Ottoman territory and Britain at the same time, but both were at the extreme ends of the Empire, and the seat of power was almost bang in the middle.

That said, technology moved on a fair bit in the intervening time, so maybe I'm full of hot air.

3. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Contributing Member

I think it you set it during the period of French-Ottoman alliance (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Ottoman_alliance?wprov=sfla1) and had France providing a lot of logistical help, it might be plausible. Say France is planning an invasion, so the Turks send a bunch of soldiers to help.

Logistics is the big problem--the Ottomans couldn't even maintain the siege of Vienna long enough to win, and England is like twice as far away, and across a lot of water. They would need to stop somewhere in the middle (like France).

Simpson17866 likes this.