1. Murkie

Murkie Active Member

Currently Reading::
    Rhythm of War - Brando Sando & Rebel's Creed - Daniel B Greene

Getting Established.

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Murkie, Aug 9, 2012.

After reading various threads about how hard it is to get published as an unknown author I've started to wonder if a better route would be to take the self-published approach through Kindle or similar and establish a "portfolio" of material that you can then use to your advantage when you decide to approach a professional publisher.
    Is this a good idea, or does self-publishing somehow hurt your chances of winning a professional contract at a later date?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It will pretty much kill your chances of publishing that piece traditionally later. Also, if you submit a later piece for traditional publishing, do not mention your self-published piece.

3. Murkie

Murkie Active Member

Oh really? That's a surprise. I knew that anything self-published would be out of the question regarding submitting to a publisher but I would have thought that having a self-published piece would have been an advantage, especially if it was a successful piece.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No. Traditional publishers don't consider self-published published, except when it comes to first publishing rights.

The worst of both worlds.

5. B93

B93 Active Member

An exception might be if the self-published work sold a zillion copies, then it could carry some weight with them. But then you probably wouldn't want to go traditional for the next book.

6. bskelhorn

bskelhorn New Member

It's a crazy time for authors, as the self-published route can end both ways. Dare I say it but "Fifty Shades" began as a self-published work, only to be picked up by a publisher and now look where it is. All through history there are stories for people getting lucky (with great writing I must stress) but once the luck runs out - the real talent shows.

Some writers like to keep to self-publishing for creative control, some because the royalty cut is bigger (but no advance) and some just do it because they want to get the story out there now - not in 12-24 months time (when the 'window' is right).

I have three books out that are self-published and I am happy with that, if I submit to publishers and they green light then that's great too. As long as I am still writing I am happy.

7. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Self-Publishing won't earn a 'black mark' in the same way as it might have several years ago.

However, self-publishing also means a lot of marketing and other work to get what you've published out there so that readers know it's there and it'll sell. Consider how much time it will take, and how much it will reduce time available to write.

It really depends on your goals, but self-publishing to build a 'portfolio' to show mainstream publishers may not really be an effective route to take.

8. Murkie

Murkie Active Member

Thanks everyone, that is a real eye opener.