1. Sylvester

Sylvester New Member

Scripts - Details of the Setting

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Sylvester, Nov 4, 2008.

If the setting of a scene is pretty much generic, how much discription do you need in a script?

For instance, one of my characters is psychic and is asleep in bed having dreams of events that will happen in the future. As those are the imporant scenes, do I really need to descibe the girl's bedroom. Except for any key items, won't the set directors set up a typical bedroom for a girl her age?

A bank? A convience store?

What about their clothes?

2. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Well if it's for a script, you only need enough information for the readers/viewers to get an idea of what the scene looks like and any notable items. Unless there's something special about the store, bank, or the clothes, it's better not to go in so detailed.

3. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Yeah, in a script it's basically the need-to-know stuff. That's why we have directors and art designers and all those people.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you are to include only what details may be vital to the plot/scene and leave all the rest up to the director...

that said, how you describe the room can tell us a lot about the character, so don't go too 'lean'... for instance, you could say the room was 'huge, expensively furnished' or 'tiny and cramped, decor by Goodwill'... or 'a typical teenage sty'... see what that does for setting up your character's character?...

i mentor lots of aspiring screenwriters, so if you need any one-on-one help, just drop me a line any time...

love and hugs, maia

5. traffic101

traffic101 New Member

Since it's your script, you only need to describe what you think is important. What image do you want to convey about the bedroom? If a few essential details is all you need, its pink...than go with it.