Getting out from under the thumbs of the parents

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Steerpike, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yeah. Maybe I'm over-thinking it. One advantage of posting a thread like this is you can talk yourself into one position or another, based on feedback from the forum.

2. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

Haha, yeah. Having other opinions can really help :D

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I grew up with that film - what I didn't understand was why she suddenly lost her ability to fly after becoming upset with the boy o_O Like, I still don't get it... Did you?

However regarding her striking out on her own, nope never thought about it. It was just part of the story. Rather that girl she meets in the forest gave me pause - that girl was probably around the same age but lived entirely alone. I always wondered about her background. I think it's more important that it's explained, basically, but it doesn't matter so much what the explanation is if you make it normal for the character's personality and/or her society.

4. Steerpike

@Mckk

My feeling on it was that Kiki slowly gets depressed and starts to doubt herself. She's pretty sick right before she loses her powers, as well. There are a few places where Kiki is told about the importance of believing in herself. Only when she has to save the boy at the end does she really get back some of that drive and purpose that underlies her self-confidence. So, to me, it wasn't so much being upset with the boy, but the whole of her experiences whittling away at her confidence until she becomes ill and loses her power.

I think the girl who lives in the forest is meant to be a grown woman, though :)

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Oh yes, I remember Kiki and own it on DVD. In fact I own many of Studio Ghibli's films. I don't remember a lot about the film, though, which might say something. It's also one I never re-watched.

I think it's because there wasn't really much of a story. Kiki goes off to have adventures so she can become a witch. Um. Okay. There wasn't much of a thrust to the story other than to see what happens next. The successful outcome was pretty much a 'given.'

You say your character is pursuing her dreams. I presume, then, that she has a goal (a dream.) What does she think will fulfill that dream? Does it come to pass? Does that dream change for her as the story progresses? Whether she achieves her dream goal or not, I do think she needs to have a compelling one at the start, if the story isn't just going to drift from incident to incident. Just wanting to have adventures might not be enough to drive the story.

Steerpike likes this.
  6. Steerpike

Her goal does change as the story progresses. She starts with one problem, which is narrowly confined to her own personal ambitions, and then comes to realize the real problem, which is of much larger impact. The idea is that as she goes along, realizes what the real problem is, and works to resolve it, she grows and changes as a person. The real problem is one that impacts the entire world, so the stakes are high.

I disagree about Kiki, though :) I thought there were a few good stories all combined nicely in the film - Kiki's self-realization through the obstacles she encounters; Kiki's transition from the outsider to acceptance; Kiki's transition from an initial, unfounded confidence, through a gradual eroding of that confidence, to a reality-based rebuilding of her confidence and belief at a crucial moment. I liked the fact that it was unusual in that there wasn't really any fighting or anything like that, and the central idea was really Kiki v. herself. Kiki and Spirited Away were my daughter's two favorite Miyazaki films when she was little. Chihiro, in Spirited Away, faces a lot more external conflict than Kiki does.

jannert likes this.
  7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I liked Kiki. I just never felt like watching it again, unlike so many of the other Ghibli films. (Maybe I will now.)

Yeah your plot sounds like it will work well, now that you've told us a bit more. Good luck!

Steerpike likes this.
  8. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

I think it can become unrealistic. Do you have kids? There is no way my children at 12 would get my blessing to go on a journey across the world. Perhaps if you make this a fantasy novel of sorts where you can change reality? Like create a new world where at 12 you are supposed to take a journey across the world to earn your adulthood or something.

Jack Asher likes this.
  9. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Don't kids go walkabout in Australia? - aboriginals. Maybe if you made it a common rite of passage. Or something traditional.

10. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

It's easy to underestimate what children are capable of if you either are a child, or don't have children.

That being said it's an empowering message for a children's book, as long as a tween doesn't run away from home looking for adventure. "But the kitties book said you'd be okay with it mom! So I decided to hitchhike to Alaska."

11. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

It's certainly a do-able story line. I had an idea for a story like that but it was a fantasy world with talking animals and an magic and stuff. The story i way too big for me right now. I dont think I will be ready to tell it for a few years if I ever do.