1. A.K.Asha

A.K.Asha New Member

Getting rid of the rust

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by A.K.Asha, May 23, 2007.

Does anyone have any ideas for exercises that can help to get rid of the rust?
    I have not written anything for a couple of years, except for essays for an OU Course. Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
    AK

2. daisydaisy

daisydaisy Member

Just start writing and see what happens. Then keep practising until you are happy with it.

3. Torana

Torana Contributing Member Contributor

If you have any ideas for a piece then write down the idea, even images or words sometimes help.

But basically what I do is keep a book of some sort aside and anything that pops into mind during the day, whether it is a few words or a line or even an image, I jot it down in the book and then go back and see if any of it is going to help me out.

Another excercise is fast fiction, where you simply come up with an idea and write a very short story that isn't to full of imagry and description and then once you have finished go back over it and see if it can be developed into something more.

You can also go and read a few books, research a topic that you find interesting and write about it.

But if you get an idea just run with it, even if it doesn't seem any good, write out as much as you can then go over it and eventually you will come out with a really interesting and descent piece, but practise makes perfect....

~Torana

(hope this helps)

4. Torana

Torana Contributing Member Contributor

Here is a link that may help you out somehow, although I am not sure if it will or not, but I have found this link to be quite useful myself.

http://storymind.com/

Go to storyweaver and you can download the storyweaver demo and then decide if you wish to purchase it or not.

I have found it to be quite helpful myself. Well anyways hope it helps you out.

~Torana

5. WhiteRider

WhiteRider Contributing Member

Just scribble on some paper for awhile and get the feel of writing really good back.

6. Laureng85

Laureng85 New Member

Have you tried exercises with music? Sometimes prompts don't work for me but certain music sparks inspriation. Othertimes seeing a picture or an image helps.

7. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

AK,

Only thing you can do is to begin writing. Until you do, you won't be able to assess what's rusty (if anything) and what's not.

Maybe don't start with something too big. A short story might be in order. Pick a genre or topic you are/were familair with.

Terry

8. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan Contributing Member

Queen songs always work for me. The stories tend to be somewhat twisted, but it gets me writing.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you can start by writing something about not knowing what to write!... can be humorous, tragic, romantic, or whatever, depending on what mood you're in... ;-)