1. heather_ashcraft

heather_ashcraft New Member

Getting past my one page problem...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by heather_ashcraft, Jul 24, 2011.

Hello there...

Simply put...it seems i have not yet been able to find the style of writing that suits me..I have plenty of ideas,and seem reasonably good at penning down a scene,but beyond the first page i cant think at all for some reason...

its like driving on a complex route,making good time,and suddenly you wind up in a room filled with nothing but blank space,odd analogy i know...but the best one i can use to describe this odd writing problem of mine..

and not only that,but when i do comprise a scene in an attempted writing,it seems to me to be mostly "mechanical" good action description,but lack of emotional context..maybe my vocabulary needs updating,i dont know...

though possibly of some kind of different context,a few years ago when i was using yahoo messenger alot,i used to engage in text-based fan rp alot...it seems when i have a person on the other end to discuss ideas with,i have absolutely no problem coming up with entire volumes of information about the perspective book with no trouble at all...

i suppose in reality im asking for thoughts on this based on the info ive given,tips,and perhaps some general framework suggestions

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

The only way to know what style of writing you have is to write, then read your story later and find out. You can't plan it in advance.

The best way to build emotion is to convey the correct tone, and that's something that you do using rhetorical devices and other acquired skills. But the only (ONLY) way to improve this is to write, then critique yourself later, then write again. Waiting until you think you're good enough to write will get you nowhere.

3. heather_ashcraft

indeed,then i have been persuing this in the wrong way.I suppose i could ask for a collabrative writing partner,though im not entirely sure if that is against the rules here or not (internet forums seem like an invisible minefeild to me sometimes)

4. Mallory

You mean like someone to give you feedback, like a beta reader? Or an actual co-writer? I'd be up for the first (if you sent me stuff in small chunks, not all at once). My email is mallory.feedback@gmail.com.

5. heather_ashcraft

ah,very very good...shall i work on a little one pager overnight and mail you with it or do you have an instant messaging id?

6. Mallory

Gmail please :)

7. JeffS65

JeffS65 New Member

Consider that what you think you might want to write is not true to you. You may enjoy a genre as a reader but it may not reflect the experiences you've had in your life. Not that you have have write about thinkgs specific to events that have occurred but you need to draw from a well the is familiar.

I've always wanted to write a novel about mafia stuff. A Minnesota raised scandinavian wants to write mafia stuff. Any time I tried it, I had the same disease yo describe. Even when others read it and thought it was decent, it wasn't. It felt false and distant from me and I would stop any time I tried.

I've recently started to write stuff that has drawn from what I've seen in my life and I an considerably more pleased with the quality and can find myself not that challenged to write.

You can have any context if you are familiar enough but the experiences of those people have to ring true to you in order to write in way that translates.

8. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

I guess I can throw in my two-cents on this topic. When I first began writing short stories, I always wrote these "chain stories" with my friends. One would write a paragraph or two, then the next one would do the same, and so on. Doing this helped me realize that by comparing our writing styles, I knew what I liked and what I didn't. I hate to sound self-centered or full of myself, which is not my intentions at all, but my writing compared to my friends was more in depth and meaninful. I had the true writer's hand, when they did not. All three of us said that we wanted to become writers, and later on down the road, I'm the only one that had stuck to my want. One friend hadn't written a story in years, and the other, I haven't hung out with her in forever, but last time I did, I saw that she was still writing somewhat but here pieces were those of a beginner, and she had been writing short stories for as long as I had. Which brought me to the realization that writing was never for either of them in the first place, but I've always found that writing was my "calling" in life. During my times of writing, I realized what style and what I like to write, and I have developed over time.

So maybe collaborative work will do you good to start off with. It sure helped me.

9. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

^^
    Good points. I was going to mention something similar - you develop your style over time. It takes a lot of experimenting, thought & reading other people's work.

So I wouldn't worry and just keep going. Think of some rough outline, perhaps for a short story and just write. You can (and should) always go back and revise later.

What genres are you interested in?

10. heather_ashcraft

pointed social commentary,fantasy..apocalypse..and even the odd monster based fiction...i figure i can give a good show of wisking those things together into something