1. hawk_767

hawk_767 New Member

Getting Started

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by hawk_767, Jan 20, 2009.

Getting Started publishing

Ok so I've read the tips on getting published here on the forums, but I've also searched and searched but can't seem to find the process most people go through to get published.

I'm really into writing and am ready to get more serious. I now need the information to get started. I know I must first write the story of course, but then what.

What should I expect to deal with when getting published.

Expenses?
    Advertising?

What other things can be expected when being a first time publisher.

Another quick question, how exactly does your book gain a name for itself? Other than it being sold to libraries how does it get advertised?

This is mostly out of curiosity, but if one does become published and begin gaining a steady income from sales for a period of time, what percentage does the publisher gain from this?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...cost of paper, ink, mailing expenses only, at first... unless you opt for vanity publishing of some form, in which case it can cost anywhere from a few bucks up to thousands...

...if/after you snag a publisher, you may have to lay out some funds for promoting your book, depending on how much your publisher covers [if any]... promotional chores can include interviews on local radio/tv, book-signings, readings for groups, and assorted other ways of getting your book 'out there'...

...no need for that at the query/submission stage... anything you choose to do on your own, when the book is released is up to you and your publisher...

...you're not going to be a publisher, are you?... or are you asking only about self-publishing and setting up your own publishing company?... if the latter, others here can fill you in on the details...

...the usual ways... by word of mouth, advertising, tv talk show touting, critical reviews in newspapers and such...

...first, only an extremely rare few first novels make any substantial money for their authors... and the publisher's cut depends on the deal you make with them... a good agent can get a highly marketable book a bigger cut than usual, and get a better deal even for iffy books, than writers can get on their own, which is why it's always best to have an agent...

...to find out how royalties work, check out the guidelines of several publishing houses to see what they offer... or just google for 'book royalties'...

love and hugs, maia

3. hawk_767

hawk_767 New Member

wow thanks. I talked to a few friends about the publishing thing as well, but your really filled in the blanks for me, thanks.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

After writing the very best novel you can, you begin to query agents and/or send unsolictied submissions to those publishers that accept them. (Includes a cover letter and often a synopsis) Often the submission process is a long one, so during that time you'll be writing a second novel...

Other than that, pretty much what Mammamaia indicated.

Terry

5. JVanHaitsma

JVanHaitsma New Member

Getting published.

I am working on the second draft of a novel, and I think it might actually be pretty good. After working with a critique partner soon, and editing/polishing it, I am looking to submit a query to various publishers. My question is: What are guaranteed ways to at least get the manuscript read and not tossed out? I feel very proud of this novel and I want to at least give it a fighting chance! What can put me over the edge in regards to all of the submissions? Any feedback that anyone might have would be wonderful. :)

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Guarantee? Unless you're a published author with an enviable readership, there is no guarantee. Submit and submit, continue to improve your writing, and submit some more.

7. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Last year I self published a sci-fi book. It was great fun and a huge learning curve. I can afford the $6000 it costs to establish my own "publishing company" and produce the book, but I did not count on the enormous time demand for such an adventure. I have only recovered a little over $2000 of my original investment and it's taken me almost nine months to get the book into a major bookstore outlet (Barnes & Noble some time late this month) and I am about to begin a national marketing campaign...which is even more time spent.

Through this process, I have not been able to keep up with the writing schedule I set in the beginning to 2008...all because of the time drain associated with promotional/marketing side of the business. Unless you savor business management, follow the advice of the others here and try to get published through the traditional system. If you are strongly interested in self-publishing, buy a copy of the current (March/April 2009) edition of Writer's Digest. Its headline is "Everything You Need to Know About Self-Publishing".

8. JVanHaitsma

JVanHaitsma New Member

I mean is there a way that I can format the manuscript or query letter that'll make it so it won't get tossed as soon as it's opened?

9. mammamaia

yes, re format:
    format the ms according to the mandated standards... see here for what those are: http://www.shunn.net/format/

as for the query, that's not so simple... i have a lot of good tips from the pros on how to write effective ones, so if you want to email me, i'll be happy to forward them...

10. JVanHaitsma

JVanHaitsma New Member

Thanks!

I would love tips on a great query letter! My email is jteykl08@aol.com

Thanks!

11. mammamaia

sent it just now, j... m