Getting stuck at the beginning, Can't get past chapter 1

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by AndiPandi91, Jun 1, 2015.

1. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

If I were in your position, I would ask myself: what's the catalyst that gets the action going, and then open your story from something that leads up to it.

Usually, beginnings are about establishing your protagonist and the scene, but that's not law. Write whatever works.

I personally have a problem of being too critical about my own work, so I end up hating what I write and then spend hours rewriting sentences in different orders and stuff.

2. smhlolroflbrb

smhlolroflbrb Unauthorized Reentry

Before I try to read your incoherent babbling, stop cutting people's sentences out of the paragraphs in their quotes. As a writer you know that paragraphs are there for a reason. Cohesion.

Now, there are no rules in storytelling. Let me clear that up for you. There are rules to writing because people expect it a certain way for publishing. This way it's easier for everyone. I didn't say anything about skill, not sure why you're adding that in.

As a writer, of course you have to develop yourself... You have to be interesting. But when did I say you shouldn't?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  3. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

@smhlolroflbrb and @GingerCoffee with the greatest respect there may be a better place to have this discussion. For example, a verbal smackdown in the lounge area - you can go at it WWF style and noone will bat an eye (or so I'm led to believe).
    In regards to what you've currently shared: both of you have made valid points and we're swinging on the edge of opinion at this point. As for the manner in which you've cited/rebutted I really don't see any malicious intent, so how about we call it a draw and get back to the subject at hand? ;)

Or, y'know, I'll leave you folks to it and just go make some popcorn.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    The Mad Regent likes this.
  4. smhlolroflbrb

smhlolroflbrb Unauthorized Reentry

I will if the OP ever comes back.

5. Ursa

Ursa New Member

I would focus on developing your characters and setting the scene for things to come.

But aside from that, why would you choose to start your novel at a boring time? I would start it right when the plot begins and not before.

6. AndiPandi91

AndiPandi91 New Member

Thanks everyone!

GingerCoffee likes this.
  7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Without getting into the ins and outs of the discussion, I think you're veering in the direction of being out of order here. Nobody who has been around this forum for any length of time would ever consider @GingerCoffee 's contributions 'ignorant.' That's the kind of language that can really ruin the forum experience for everybody. Please, can you rein in the inflammatory language? She apologised for any perceived attack, and explained her position coherently. Let it go.

8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I've had substantial conflicts with GingerCoffee. I say that to give context to my agreement with Jannert that you are out of order in making the remark above. Edited to avoid putting words in Jannert's mouth: OK, Jannert said you were veering; I think you've already crossed the line.

jannert likes this.
  9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I would suggest that you need a calendar, if the dates weren't right under your several posts in this thread since that date. Given that apparent blindness, on your part, to the most evident of facts, I will resolve to follow your example with regard to your posts and treat them as invisible.

10. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

For the record, flame wars are not allowed anywhere in the forum. The Debate Room is the proper area for debates, but forum rules apply even there.

Wreybies and KaTrian like this.
  11. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

Duly noted!