1. Ben414

Ben414 Contributing Member Contributor

Getting stuck on finding the "perfect" story

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Ben414, Jul 10, 2014.

Do any of you get stuck because you don't want to start until you find the "perfect" story to build upon? I'm currently experiencing this.

I can't seem to find a starting point that I find acceptable, and I have this notion that I will discover a better story later after I have already wasted my time on a lesser story. I've tried the 'start writing anyway' method, but I keep getting stuck in short order because I don't have any themes, motifs, symbolism, or additional plot to guide my writing.

2. allonsybadwolf

allonsybadwolf Member

I think that I have the complete opposite problem.

I start writing pretty much any idea that pops into my head and sticks long enough to interest me, and as soon as I think of something else I abandon the previous idea to start the new one. I have piles and piles of these started stories.

The fact that I've made it 28K words into my current WIP is pretty much a miracle. I'm trying really, really hard to finish this one.

3. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

A writer has hundreds of stories brewing in them, and he will have to write them one at a time as they come.
    There's no such thing as a "lesser" story. Maybe it's not your magnum opus or a novel, just a little magazine story, but it's a story and your job is to create it and publish it.
    Write what you have and write as much as you can. You'll have a repertoire to be proud of someday even if you feel silly about some of your earlier work.
    Everyone feels their first steps are embarrassing in years of hindsight experience.

4. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Contributing Member Contributor

Think of the "lesser" story as practise for the better ideas you'll have later. If you don't start a story because you're concerned about wasting time, you'll never finish writing one.

I got stuck trying to figure out which story in my trilogy to write first because there's a time loop. Originally I was going to focus on the time around main character's birth, when an older version of herself has been sent back to protect her from some threat or other. The problem I had there was that I couldn't think of a plausible threat which would interest the reader and there was no background on the older version of the main character.

The next time period in the trilogy is set about 12 years later, when she has her first adventure. This makes more sense, as there's only one of her, she has little experience, and the reader can follow her progress without getting too confused.

Don't worry about the perfection of the story. Such a thing will never come about on the first try. Just write something akin to a story, and if it's bad, don't dismiss it outright, but find out what makes it bad and improve on it.