1. BarristerOfTheFuture

BarristerOfTheFuture New Member

Short Story True stories in creative writing?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by BarristerOfTheFuture, Mar 26, 2013.

Hi guys I was wondering how do you transform a true incident, perhaps infamous at the same time into a descriptive short story? Thanks.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry to say, if you have to ask, then you're clearly not ready to write it...

it's also way too broad a question...

3. Thornesque

Thornesque Senior Member

Exactly as Maia said. It's called Creative Non-Fiction, it can be done, but if you haven't got a lead on how to do it, or even where to begin, then I would suggest doing a little more homework on your own.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Every story has some basis in the real world, even the most improbable fantasies. Building imaginatively upon that basis is what every fiction writer does every time he or she writes/

5. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

I usually alter little details here and there until the people who were a part of the incident would no longer recognize themselves if they read my writing. I think this is especially important if it's something like... well, you know, if you were in a scuffle behind a bar, you don't really want the other guy to sue you for defamation or whatever because you wrote a spectacular scene of you wiping the floor with him, got published, and made a million. Yeah, hyperbole, I know, but you get the gist... I think the same applies for things involving all kinds of crime, drugs, sex, stuff like that.

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Try telling the story from the point of view of a witness, or pick some other point of view. How would you tell someone about the event if you were speaking?

I just wrote a short story about a real event that happened to me and I wrote it the way I would have told someone about it. After you get the story down you can start looking at ways to make the writing/telling better.