Ghost stories

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bluebell80, Aug 12, 2009.

1. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

Oh, I forgot one when I posted last time. My hub is a mechanic, and the garage he used to work in had a ghost. It didn't do anything weird or scary though. But if he worked late and was there by himself, he would hear footsteps on the stairs and the catwalk where they kept some parts. My hub is somewhat hard of hearing, considering all his years around loud motors and whatnot. So for him to hear stuff like that, it has to be kind loud. So, it couldn't just be the boards settling.

He also had friends that lived in a house that used to be a funeral home. I think there bedroom was in or around where the viewing area was, and he said some stuff went on there, but they moved around the time I started seeing him, so I didn't get to go 'experience' anything.

Another place he lived, was close to a house that was really old, and someone apparently hung themself there, and someone else drowned in the well. I can't remember if it was murder or not. But at night, they all stayed away from the well, because it felt like someone was there that wasn't friendly.

A girl I used to work with said her Grandma, or Great Grandma lived in a house that was by a river, and that it had once been a hospital. Every time she went to the basement to do laundry something would try to shove her down the stairs. There was also activity in a couple of the upstairs bedrooms.

I don't doubt most of the stories I hear, because I live in Ohio, and there is a lot of history here. One house that is maybe 10-15 minute drive from me was actually on TAPS (Ghost Hunters). I still want to go and take a tour there.

2. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

Vermont has a lot of haunting history too, like the Eddy Brothers. You can find their story on the internet. It was written about back in the early 1900's or something. It was in a published ghost stories book too. There were two brothers and a sister. They could see and communicate with the dead. It's some freaky stuff. People now go up and trespass on the land, spending the night around the haunted grounds. Supposedly there is a lot of paranormal activity there. It's one of those places I'd like to see some ghost hunters spend the night.

There's a haunted covered bridge where a woman hung herself. Supposedly if you go there at night you can see her hanging at one end of the bridge.

There's an old cemetery just down the street from my first apartment. A lot of my hubby's relatives are buried there. He said he used to ride through there on his bike and would feel totally creeped out, and heard voices and stuff, until he got to one section, where --he found out later--all the nuns were buried.

His brother also ran into a nun while fishing at the creek that runs along the back side of the cemetery. The nun introduced herself as sister Agnes, and told him that there was a dead body down the creek and that he must call 911. She left and he walked down to investigate. Sure enough there was a naked woman floating face down in the water. She'd been there for some time by the decay and bloating, he said. Later when the cops and Mark were trying to find sister Agnes, the nuns at the church up the street said there was no sister by that name. They checked around at the other churchs and none had a sister by that name either.

Weeks later my husband and his brother were walking through the cemetery, going home from fishing. They walked through the section where the nuns were buried. They saw one named Agnes something... Died in 1918. They went and looked her up at the church and found her records. My hubby's brother believed that was the woman he saw who told him about the body.

I've been to that cemetery, and it is creepy. I'm not usually creeped out by cemeteries either.

I like paranormal stuff. I tend to like to think of scientific reasons why some paranormal stuff happens. Parallel universes and such.

3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I thought I had a story to share with you guys last night, because Joel got up to get a drink of water, and a little bit after he opened the bedroom door, I saw a flash of light, then it disappeared and everything turned this electric blue color before it went dark again. I asked him if he turned on the light (because that's what I thought it was), and he said no, seemed really confused, and asked what I was talking about...

and then it turned out that he was just being an arse and messing with me because he knew I'd been reading ghost stories and that it would freak me out. :(

4. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Man, I'm jealous of all you people who have seen ghosts. I live in an old house, and though it creaks and I see weird shadows everywhere, no ghosts. Haha
    I even did a ghost story at Hotel San Carlos, Arizona's most haunted hotel, and saw nothing. Though I hear the only way to find a ghost is to not be expecting it.
    I'd like to think though that ghosts are just a figment of the imagination, a temporary lapse in rational thought, but I can't say for sure as I've never seen one.

5. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

I think that some people are more apt to see them, or feel them or others. I don't know why, but some people never have experiences and others have them all the time.

6. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I think you're right. Someone can be in a haunted place and be fine, others aren't.

My aunt used to work at this local restaurant, and the top floor is haunted. She was on the night shift and saw some creepy red-eyed ghost apparently. She quit the next day.

7. DownUnder

DownUnder New Member

I've always been under that impression too, that some people have more of a 'sense' for them, I guess? I don't know.

8. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Or maybe some people want to think they're more "special" than others. That's how I've always viewed alleged "psychics". Forgive my pessimism, I don't mean to be a wet blanket. Just trying to bring up an interesting topic that comes along with the supernatural debate.

9. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

I too am dubious of "psychics"
    # of psychics who win the lotto-zero
    # of psychics who predicted 9/11 or Katrina or that earthquake in Asia-zero
    # of psychics who can present any kind of hard facts-zero

I spare no malice for them because they are social parasites who sell false hope to the families of people who lost loved ones, or the gullible, etc.

BUT, I do believe in things that elude our ability to fathom or explain, and therein we find (boo!) ghosts!:D

1 person likes this.
  10. DownUnder

DownUnder New Member

I'm suspicious of psychics too, making a buck from selling people false hope, as you mentioned.

But I do think there's something else out there... :eek:

11. SAN

SAN New Member

One of the most frightening things that happened to me occured many years ago when I shared a rental house with 2 friends and their children. One friend and her kids wasn't there when this happened, but the other was - her ex husband had come to return their 3 year old daughter from a visitation, and he spent the night.

Late that night, I was watching the movie 'The Rose' on cable TV. I was the only one awake in the house. My roommate and her ex were in her upstairs bedroom, and their little girl was in a downstairs bedroom.

Suddenly, without warning, the entire house BOOMED. It was very loud, deafening, actually, and in the aftershock of that boom everything in the house rattled for a second. Before I could react, it began again. Boom rattle. Boom rattle. over and over. The sound seemed to originate from upstairs.

This went on for approximately ten minutes. I could not hear the TV, couldn't hear anything but that Boom rattle. I tried to explain it away to myself, and I even checked both entry doors to the house several times, trying to pretend it was someone who was pounding on the door. NO one was there.

The front door of the house was located off the kitchen, on a covered porch. I went out there one last time to check, opening the door to the outside and sticking my head out to see if someone was parked in the drive way in front of the garage. No one was there, but the damn sound had finally stopped, to my huge relief. I took a deep breath and brought my head back inside the house.

Boom rattle. Boom rattle... I could only hear it inside the house.

In my terror, I ended up sitting on the loveseat in front of the TV, staring blankly at it, huddled up and unable to try to rationalize this any longer. It went on for another minute or so, and then I saw a flash of movement out of my right eye. I snapped my head around to look, and saw my roommates little daughter standing there, sobbing.

The instant my eyes lit on the child, the Boom rattle stopped.

In the blessed quiet, I got up and went to the girl, saying, "honey, it's okay, why are you crying?" (still trying to pretend everything was normal, I suppose). The child was crying in that somewhat hysterical, chest hitching sort of way like they do when they've been crying hard for awhile. I knelt down and looked at her, and she said, between hiccups of sobs, "Don't let IT hurt Mommy."

At that point, I heard footsteps across the floor above me, and my roommate came down and scooped up her daughter and took her upstairs to bed, where she had been sleeping all night, not downstairs like I had thought. The Booming had been so loud, I didn't hear a sobbing child walk across the floor above me to the stairs and then come down them.

My roommate? I found out the next day she heard nothing, and her ex didn't either. In fact, he commented how weird it was that he had fallen 'dead' asleep as soon as he laid down, something he never did.

I tell you, thats the sort of experience that changes how you view the world and your place in it. Nearly 30 years have passed, and I recall exactly how that sounded, and how it felt.

Many other things happened in that house; all of us had experiences, some shared. My roommate who was there during the events described above also experienced the Boom rattle in the middle of the day when she was alone in the house and like me, she could find no one outside or any reason for the sound to only be heard inside the house.

There's a lot more to what happened there; this is just one of the terrifying things I experienced.

One more thing: I have never watched the movie 'The Rose' again...

12. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

San, that was something I'd be scared of too!

As for psychics, well I think the majority of modern day ones, and many from the past, have been really good con artists with a fair amount of knowledge pertaining to the arts of divination.

I had a palm reading one time at a little carnival out in the sticks here in VT. The woman looked like she was a 100 years old, hunched and wrinkled. She drew lines across my hand and told me I'd have a normally long life, 80-90 years, I'd be married once, but in love with four people over my life time. I'd have two children (at the time I was 16 so no kids yet) early in my life, and I'd live to see six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. 5 people I love dearly would die in my lifetime. She told me I was an artist of many mediums and that I would taste great success.

So far I've got two kids, though my partner and I are not married yet, one of these days we will be. I am an artist of several mediums, and I hope to have success. Overall not a bad read. Do I believe it all, no, but it was the most accurate one I've ever had.

I do think there are people who, on some quantum physics level, are able to see future events. Like Nostradamus, I think he was able to somehow tap into a slipstream of time and was able to see future events. I think there is a scientific explanation for why some people can see the future and most other's can't. I don't really think there is something supernatural about people who can do this, just that some how they are genetically able to. Maybe it's chemicals, maybe it's their brainwaves, who knows.

Stuff like palm reading is a skill. Knowing which lines represent what, and interpreting how they look based on information one has learned about the craft, is much like astrology, or predicting a man's penis size by his nose and hand size, sometimes it's right, other times it's very, very wrong.

To me entities that interact with humans on this plane, could be conscious entities from a parallel plane of existence. According to some science this is possible, though not very probably. It is also possible that space-time rifts allow interaction between the past and the present, or even the future and the present. Meaning the entities in the present are currently in the same place in the past or future, and can through a rift manipulate objects or people in the present. Effectively bring their consciousness from their current existence into our present.

I think the level of interaction depends on the size of the rift. Small rifts might not allow for interaction but only apparitions. Larger rifts allow more communication between the time planes.

Honestly, I don't read much science fiction, but I do read a lot of real science writings and journals. These are just theories I've drawn together from my readings.

13. Gigi_GNR

Ghost stories that are true scare me more than made-up ones. Stuff like the Amityville Horror. *shudder*

14. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I believe this to be totally true, because I have seen many things, as well as my family.

My great grandmother was a "sensitive". She knew when something wasn't right in a place. She saw her daughter who died at the age of 16. She saw other people as well, and when she told you something was going to happen, you best be cautious because it always did.

It is the same way with my grandmother. She tells this story of a man that she and my grandfather saw walking up the road, (they lived in the country and there was a long dirt road which lead to their house) he came up to the front door, and when they went to see what he wanted, he was gone. Nothing, no car, no dust, nobody was around.
    Once, when my grandmother was pregnant and due, she saw a baby crawl across the floor one day while she was ironing. She thought it was my mother, but when she went to check on her, my mom was sound asleep in her crib. Three days later my grandmother had a still birth.

My mom, she is scary...she dreams when something bad is about to happen...it always comes to pass.

Me, well I read cards. I know what you guys might be thinking, but I do. And I have seen and heard things which I don't understand. The old woman in the farm house, that dark figure in my window. I know when I'm not "alone". The house we are in now is somewhat unnerving. The woman who had it built, died almost two years ago. The first week we were here, I was sitting on the back porch when the door knob clicked and the door opened. I thought it was my brother, when I realized nobody was there I got up to shut it. As I went to close it I could hear a woman crying. I ran in the house and shut the door behind me. Little things like that bug the crap out of me. But, it happens and I am almost used to it now. Notice I said, "almost". lol

15. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Usually I only use the roads to get to Tongue, but sometimes if it's sunny I go around the back of a few of the mountains nearby. There's also another path, which goes around the back of one mountain and then past others and goes across a lot of moorland near Loch na Seilg. There are a few ruined villages around there, and they are visible when there isn't much grass, and when I went there the dry-stone walls of Baille nan Dìthicheadh were pretty obvious.

It's one of about a few thousand ruined villages in Sutherland, but one of the largest. About twenty ruined houses, although not that many can still be seen, and many more storage places that are scattered around. It's well-known in the area that it was burned down in the Clearances (to be honest, you only need to look at it and have a basic knowledge of British history to work that out - hence the tourists always seem to know what happened when most of them don't even know how to pronounce the name), but that it wasn't only the houses that were burned. The notice to leave was given a few hours before the 'soldiers' were sent in (that may mean British army soldiers, but probably just local marauders in the pay of the local clan chief, or whoever ordered the eviction), and not everyone had heard. There was a family in one of the houses (although I've heard that that house is no longer visible), and they thought that the attack of the marauders was designed to massacre the clansmen. Most of the occupants of the house fled through the other door, whilst Allein nan Creach took out a sword and chased off some of the soldiers as far as Ben Hope, only to be shot upon returning to the ruins of the village by the soldiers who were looting the place.

He's supposed to still defend the village, and watches the road as if there's some sort of charge for walking along it towards the ruins. Only tourists have actually seen him, and an expatriate Highlander who was visiting Sutherland. But it's acknowledged by quite a few people locally that the village doesn't stay the same - entire walls have apparently been built and then destroyed, and I don't think that many visitors (or even many locals) could build a dry-stone wall. There are snow showers even when it's actually a sunny day, and I myself have seen snow rise up into the air like some sort of tornado and then patrol along the road (avoiding the ruins), so the tourists probably don't just want attention.

I was walking along the road to the village on a sunny day, expecting to meet a friend (who is from Ross, and a descendant of some Lowland nobles who bought land there - probably evicting the locals as most of them did) in Tongue. The village seemed to be quiet, although I don't usually pay that much attention as it doesn't really bother me, so I continued on. My friend asked to come back to my house after me and her had spent most of the day in Tongue (this is a designated location where you are permitted to laugh at that - doing so after you have read this section will make me think you are immature with the mind of a three-year old :rolleyes:).

It was raining, so we didn't really have a choice but to go back through the village. She didn't really believe in such things that I began to describe to her, including many of the stories about the village. She began to walk over the ruins, with my permission (I just told her not to go near a few walls, as in small rows of rocks, which hadn't been there previously, or where other walls had been but no longer stood). She didn't seem to be too pleased, but the fact that the village had been burned down, the descendants of the occupants probably thousands of miles away and wanting to return there, made her stay away from wherever I said she should stay away from, more out of respect for the evicted families than a belief in anything defending the village.

I was amazed at how long she got away with climbing over the ruins without Allein doing something about it; she even kicked off a few rocks when she tried to stop herself from slipping. When she slipped again after walking a bit further, then again, and stopped herself each time. I was still reluctant to join her, and watched where she stepped to make sure that there would still be something of the village to see if she did actually fall, which would have toppled whatever wall she was standing on.

Then I realised that the rocks were not moved before she slipped, and that she was sometimes standing still when she fell. It was a bit strange, so after she'd regained her balance I told her to stand still, whilst I kicked a rock that she had slipped on. It hurt my foot, but didn't move. The rain was heavy and it was also misty, so I didn't see whether rocks further along the wall fell, but whilst my friend was still standing where I'd told her to and I was still tending to my foot, there were three slams. The first was a way off; the second was a little closer, but they were on the other side of the wall. Then there was a third, nearer, which was on the same side as us. Then another, which was along a different wall to the other side of my friend, that made her s*** herself. It was pretty loud, and she'd not been more concerned with searching for the rocks that had made the first three slams from where she was stood, high on the wall.

Although she was surprised, I'm sure that, whatever happened, she didn't fall. She did, however, find herself flung to the side, turning over so her head hit the floor first as if something had been trying to hold her up. As she was scrambling to get back to her feet, one of the rocks launched itself at her, and it struck her in the arm, which she'd raised to defend herself, over a distance of about three feet. It could have been the wind, but I doubt it - those rocks had stood for hundreds of years, it wasn't a windy day, and it was a single rock rather than the entire wall.

I began to get a bit concerned for her safety, so I ran over, and as I leapt over the wall (and didn't knock any rocks onto the floor) there was a snow shower right in my face (more like a burst of it) and the words 'Am fear nach gheidh na h-airm 'nam na sìth, cha bhi iad aige 'n am a chogaidh' were in there with it. That Gaelic proverb translates as: 'he who does not keep his arms in times of peace, will have no arms in times of war.'

Nothing else happened besides a few rocks falling from the walls, and after that the village was quiet. I walked there again a few times, but as I am local, nothing else happened. I'm just waiting for a tourist to choose that road as a good place to walk...

16. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

A friend of mine posted this story on another forum. Always gave me the creeps, so I saved it. Not a ghost story, but machines behaving in humanlike ways is pretty creepy too.

+++

Originally posted by Demagogue from TTLG forums:

17. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Okay, that is SO creepy! Seriously, that would give me nightmares...

18. hiddennovelist

Same here. That's like something that would happen at the beginning of a movie where robots go crazy and kill everyone. I would have been terrified if I had seen that.

19. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

Wow, Lav, that is scary. AI stuff bothers me like that. The whole idea of robots taking over the world and enslaving humans or killing us off is scary... Ugh, giving me chills thinking about it.

20. Gigi_GNR

Here's one I heard:

This guy's best friend told him about a ritual called a seance, which involves a mirror, total darkness and concentration, and he decides to try it. So after his family leaves, he goes through the house shutting off all the lights and holding a handheld bathroom mirror. He goes through the dark house to his pitch-black room and shuts the door. His friend had told him to put the mirror in a small and enclosed space, so he puts it in the closet. You're not supposed to look at the mirror, because it's said the entity can possess you, so he looks down at the notebook where he wrote the incantation.
    He begins to recite, and nothing happens. Suddenly, he hears a swirling, windy sound, but there's no breeze. So he looks at the mirror and sees in it the dark outline of a man in the reflection, and he hears laughter.
    The rules say that if something happens you should recite again and shut the door, so he did this. He turns on all the lights in the house, but he can't fall asleep the whole night.
    The next morning he opens the closet door and discoveres the mirror is shattered, even though he was up all night and never heard it break.

21. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

That's why I don't mess around with stuff like that^:eek:

22. hiddennovelist

Same here, man. It's one thing to walk into a situation and find out a house is haunted or something like that. It's a whole different ballgame to bring it on yourself. No thanks.

23. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

My view on ghost is different from most people. I've turned it more sciency then anything else. I like to think that ghost aren't dead people, but actual living people. I like to believe in the theory of parallel worlds and universes. Parallel times and what not. So whenever we see a "ghost" it's actually two times converging together creating an image of a person. And in these worlds they could be living in a Victorian time, but a little different from our time. When we see people like our relatives that is the parallel vision of them in a different time maybe alive.

I've had a couple of encounters with "ghost". Back in Greece at my aunty's home we always heard scratching on the walls. And Aunty doesn't get many birds on her roof simply because she has a bunch of scary looking fake owls. And I use to see a girl in a red dress always run by. She'd pass you, never look at you just run pass you. One time though I saw her sitting and watching me. She did nothing, but you felt her just staring at you. It gave me the shivers.

I had always seen shadow people, mom and dad told me it was dark and my eyes were just trying to find something to hold onto. But these were real shadow people. They had eyes and they always felt like they were ready for you. There eyes were always big and yellow and their bodies these shadow blobs. They really scared me when I was a kid and I would close my eyes so I wouldn't see them.

I also always had this feeling in my old home that there was someone on the bed. Every time at the same time at night. I could feel someone sitting on the bed, one time I opened my eyes to see if it was mom and dad, but it wasn't. There was no one there, but I could still feel the weight of someone sitting. When I looked to where the weight was coming off, it felt like the someone sitting on the bed would get up as if because I noticed they couldn't sit there any more.

24. Gigi_GNR

Exactly. I've heard enough crap about Seances and Ouija boards and all that stuff to know that it can all go horribly wrong. Don't mess around with that stuff! You may think you've contacted a nice ghost but it could be a demon, or something of that nature.