1. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

Good books for 10yr old boys?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by dizzyspell, May 28, 2011.

My brother's birthday is coming up, and as his nerdy big sister, I like to buy him books. He'll pretty much only read anything (unless its for school) if I recommend the book to him, which is really cute, imo.

He likes the Harry Potter books, books by Emily Rodda, and basically any fantasy or spy stories. But I could probably manipulate my big sister powers to make him read anything. Mwahaha.

So do any of you know good books for this age bracket?

Thanks!

2. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Has he read the Percy Jackson series? Because if not I highly reccomend it. My borhter starting reading those around your brother's age then he got me to read them and they are one of my favorite series. They're written for kids but fantastic for any age.

Also I've never read them, but my brother really loves the Artemis Fowl, Warriors, and Rangers Apprentice series. Since I've never read them I can't say what I think of them, but he loves them and I know of lots of his friends and parents who love them too.

Maybe those suggestions help? I'll try to think of some others :)

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

When I was his age I loved science fiction. They may be out of date now, but if Robert A. Heinlein's juvenile novels are still in print, I'd recommend them.

4. Alexander Wallis

Alexander Wallis New Member

You should really think about buying him The Warrior Series, they're about these Cats that can talk and they live in Clans throughout the forest. And the leaders get Nine lives, Aha, and its really interesting and fun. You can buy the whole first series, like 6 books, for 30 bucks. You should look them up, really cool.

5. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

The hobbit. It always works.

1 person likes this.
  6. CesiumLifeJacket

CesiumLifeJacket Member

As long as you're not terribly Christian the His Dark Materials series is fantastic.

7. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

My brother is older than that now, but he really digs the Fabelhaven series.

8. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

Thanks so much! I'll go to Borders, and check some of those out tomorrow :)

9. Sage Dufraine

Sage Dufraine New Member

Definitely. Narnia books are always good too; The Horse and his Boy was a lot of fun.

10. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Warriors, the Hunger Games series and Artemis Fowl are some I'd recommend (and that others already have, it seems ;) ).

11. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

Colin Thiele. "Storm Boy" and "Fire in the Stone" were my favorites from that age.

12. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

I read through George Seldon's Cricket in Time Square series when I was ten. They're in the same vein as Charlotte's Web. Tucker's Countryside was my favorite of the series.

13. Declan

Declan New Member

Artemis Fowl, as others have said. In fact, anything by Eoin Colfer- he is a fantastic children's author. Also, try the Darren Shan series, Roald Dahl (goes without saying) and A Series of Unfourtunate Events. I loved all of those when I was younger.

14. bias

bias New Member

The red badge of courage. It is about a young man's struggle to be brave during the civil
    war.

15. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Lord of the Rings (the first few chapters are slow-moving in the first book, but then it picks up and is full of action)

"Shiloh" by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor - not fantasy, but one of the boy-and-his-dog types and the MC is an 11-year-old boy.

The boys vs girls war series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor - it's about some neighborhood kids, a group of girls and a group of boys, who play adventurous pranks on each other in a continuous "battle." The characters are aged 8 to 12 so I think it's for that age range, and it's equally for both boys and girls.