1. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Glossaries

Discussion in 'Research' started by A.M.P., Feb 9, 2015.

What do you guys think about glossaries at the end of books?

I personally like them, as sometimes it can really add to the lore behind a book (Since I'm into that stuff) and occasionally I forget a term or two and it's nice they're all grouped up.

Also, should the glossaries be sent with the manuscript? I tried Googling it and didn't get an answer.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It depends on how necessary the glossary is. If there are so many novel terms in use that I have to flip back to it, that is seriously off-putting to me. If it's there as a decorative item, and I don't actually have to use it, then I don't use it, so it may as well not be there. One example is Storm Constantine's Wraeththu series. I don't recall if the first book by itself had a glossary, but the first three novels together as an omnibus (the copy I own) does. But... Storm gives me the terms that make up the lives of hara with enough pacing and context that I learn her world easily and don't have to flip to a glossary. Even now I can tell you what an ouana lim is and also what soume means. I know the pleasures of aruna and the travesty of pelci. Her story teaches me her world with perfectly paced deftness.

The mileage of others may vary. ;)

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I'm with Wreybies. I'm even thinking about adding one specifically for language in one of my books but I don't know. I was also thinking of doing the asterisk thing and putting a notation at the bottom of the page. I love maps and family trees can come in handy. Any thing that helps the reader I'm all for but I also think context should make things rather clear. Meaning if they want to look it up just to be sure but it shouldn't always be necessary.

4. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

@peachalulu
    I think I read a book that had small annotations at the bottom.
    Pretty sure it was fiction though I can't recall what book it was.
    I remember liking it as it was non-intrusive and kinda fun.