Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contest Administrator Contributor

Going Forward with Poetry Contests

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Poetry Contest' started by theoriginalmonsterman, Sep 20, 2016.

I've been wanting to make some changes to how the poetry contest system has been working, but I figured I'd let you guys decide whether or not to put some changes into affect.

Audio Poetry Contests

We've got picture poetry contests, so why not ones with audio as well? It sounds weird, but it could be cool. This would allow us to extend the themes to specific noises such as perhaps water dripping. It's up to you guys though.

Removing Word Poetry Contests

I've been thinking over this one for awhile. I've noticed people tend to the enjoy the contests more when we use an image as a theme over just some random word. I feel pictures are much more powerful than just one-word or two-word themes, and I think it helps inspire people more when it comes to creating their poems for the contest. I won't remove them completely, but if you guys want this I'll make sure more upcoming poem contests include more images over words.

Shorter Contest Times

A lot of people have been telling me that the contests go on for too long, and I can't help but agree. The three week system has been working fine, but if you guys want I can shorten it down to two weeks for both submitting the poems for the contest, and then the voting process as well. That should make it so you don't have to wait a month for another poetry contest. :3

Multiple Poetry Contests

Managing two poetry contests at once shouldn't be too much of a pain. It's possible for me to host more than one poetry contest at once. How this would work is the contests would go back and forth. While one contest is in the voting stage then another would start up, and so on. This would allow for many more poetry contests to be done within a month allowing for a lot more themes to be included in the contest in a much shorter time span.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions on how I could improve the contests, and what you think about the above suggestions. I will be setting up a poll in the near future that will include these suggestions and more and I will allow everyone to vote on what they want. The top three highest voted for suggestions will be implemented while the other ones will be ditched or implemented at another time.

That being said, feel free to discuss among yourselves down below and I will get back to you with more information on what's happening with the changes. Thanks!

LinnyV, rem, Tenderiser and 1 other person like this.
  2. gibble410

gibble410 Active Member

I am all for multiple contest and just using a picture but not really audio. Thanks!

3. PapaSmurfberry

PapaSmurfberry Active Member

Multiple would be nice, where one is going while the other is judge. I can't wait for the next it will be the first I enter and I can't wait for the prompt. Maybe offer multiple prompts a picture and words :)

4. cydney

cydney Banned

This makes me think about why I don't like contests and why I never enter them. It's because I seldom win one. But that's not a good reason. I should try anyway. Just for the creative asset and the self-discipline.

5. PapaSmurfberry

I think it is neat to see how we each approach the same subject in our own way. Honestly if you grow and improve your area winner regardless :)

cydney likes this.
  6. cydney

cydney Banned

I agree @PapaSmurfberry . But whether I'll follow through is another question.

PapaSmurfberry likes this.
  7. PapaSmurfberry

I really hope you do, the more of us who do the more fun it will be :)

cydney likes this.
  8. cydney

cydney Banned

I think I'll try. Thinking hard about this. I don't think winning & losing is the only problem I have. I think I'm concerned with just not writing as well as everyone else does.

9. PapaSmurfberry

We all have self doubt, and writing is really bleeding your soul on the paper (at least the highest form) and when you do that rejection stings bad, but that pain of rejection is how we grow. Do not deprive yourself of that.

Never compare yourself to other writers, the last poetry contest I really liked cutecat22's poem. Not to belittle anyone else's poem just thought it was the best and was shocked it did not do better.

The reason I am saying this is to show that we each have our own style as well as each reader has their own taste. Just because a poem doesn't win doesn't mean someone didn't like it a lot and does not mean it is any less.

10. theoriginalmonsterman

The point of these contests isn't to win. Well it is, but it's more so to motivate people to write and allow people to share their works to a small audience.

The only way to get better at writing is just by constantly writing. You won't make it far if just say you want to write. You need to actually get words on paper even if it's just a stream of thought.

cydney and PapaSmurfberry like this.
  11. big soft moose

big soft moose Active Member

I like the idea of multiple , and shorter contest times. I'm not sure about audio , and i'm easy either way on the words thing

One other random thought , what about occasionally (and i mean only occasionally not as a regukar thing) having a 'style' theme like 'this time we are looking for entries in the style of limerick, or haiku or whatever .... just thinking that its occasionally good to be forced out of your comfort zone

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  12. gibble410

gibble410 Active Member

I don't know how much a "style" theme would do. We already can do anytype of poem, and styles could make it unfair for those who don't know how your supposed to write the style or for those voting, who don't know what poem is the best, due to the style they might not know.

13. big soft moose

I was just thinking that occasionally it might be fun to all have to produce something in a given style - so you'd have a sort of 'best limerick' type contest - having to write in an unfamilar style would be part of the challenge

14. gibble410

gibble410 Active Member

Maybe the second contest could be style, an the other freestyle?

15. big soft moose

I wouldnt want it every month - i was thinking as more of a once or twice a year thing

gibble410 likes this.
  16. cydney

cydney Banned

Style poetry contests are hard for me, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't try it. Actually, the hardest thing for me to do is use rhyme without sounding trite.

I'm interested in this thread and the suggestions. I'll keep thinking about what kinds of contests might be most inspiring to me and maybe make a few suggestions.

Personally, I think I need something that provokes me or prompts me to write.

17. cydney

cydney Banned

I agree with this 100%

18. PapaSmurfberry

I find life is the best writing prompt though I get what you are saying. Don't worry about if it sounds trite just put it out there and grow from it. :)

cydney likes this.
  19. big soft moose

I know what you mean

its hard to use rhyme without sounding trite
    often whats written, seems utter shite
    finding the words can take me all night
    and even with effort, it doesn't read right

Thinking you're there but finding not quite
    leads to doubting ability like you've the brain of a twite
    throws the pen in the dustbin, goes fly a kite
    tell me again, why do we write ?

Yes as papa smuf suggests - the whole world is my writing prompt

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    cydney likes this.
  20. cydney

cydney Banned

Very true @big soft moose - your poem. Trying to say something & not able to say it the way you want to is frustrating. I want my writing to be sincere, honest and from the heart. So hard to do!

21. PapaSmurfberry

Lol I thought we all write because we are deeply disturbed individuals with a self defecating desire for constant rejection

22. theoriginalmonsterman

You should want to come out of comfort zone for these contests. If these contests had no risk or measure of difficulty in them then they'd be pointless.

What I would probably do is have one contest have the style be open to any kind while another could be more specific.

LinnyV, Solar and cydney like this.
  23. cydney

cydney Banned

Most likely and unfortunately and whatever! But you know, it really helps to be honest about it!

24. gibble410

gibble410 Active Member

That's something I would b open to. And it's not up to me anyway

25. cydney

cydney Banned

I understand this. And agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.