1. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

Going from fanfic to something greater

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Rumwriter, Nov 24, 2012.

If you write a fanfic that you put on the webz and it becomes well received throughout different communities, is their any liklihood that it could lead to job offerings from people in the business? Write now I have an idea for a tv series I want to write for, but I figure I could just fanfic it, but I didn't know if there was any chance such a thing would get me recognized as a writer.

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't put the chances very high at all. Like other authors, writers for TV shows would, I imagine, have a phobia of reading fanfic about that show for fear of being accused of plagiarism (real or imagined).

3. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Anything's possible as they say. I take it from your post that you want to write for an existing tv show? In which case if your work is good and you do have lots of good feedback, I'd suggest approaching this as a job interview. Send a formal letter to the show's producers, and in it include all the work you've written, like references. They may not hire you, but hopefully they might keep your name on their books for when they have a vacancy.

Cheers, Greg,

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In the US, your odds are practically nil. It's a pretty closed community that is hard to break into without sponsorship. And sponsorship isn't doled out like Halloween candy.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, in the us, you can't break into the tv industry cold, like that... legal departments don't even allow unagented mail to be opened, for fear of law suits, in case anything their own writers come up with should be close to what you propose...

so the way to break into the us tv world is to have a good track record of produced scripts and an agent with good connections there, or to get hired as a grunt and work your way up, making useful connections along the way...

i've heard it's not that hard in the uk, but don't know if that's true...

6. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

I agree with Cogito.