1. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

Social media and multiple identities

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Hubardo, May 26, 2015.

This thread is about how to carefully manage having multiple identities through social media.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Multiple pen names lead to similar issues. I'm three people online - actual me (very small online presence), Kate Sherwood (moderate online presence) and Cate Cameron (trying to build an online presence).

I don't have anything too concrete to say other than - multiple browsers! Kate uses Chrome, personal me uses Firefox, and poor Cate got stuck with IE. It allows you to stay signed on to all your accounts and avoids accidental cross-posting.

But I guess you're not quite at the split-identity stage yet, huh? So... not sure what to recommend, but I sympathize!

3. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

I sort of do, but it's more about the divide between how I act online and how I act in real life. I only really have three "identities" of note, and the last two are very similar to each other:

Real me in person — Awkward, passive, and prone to accidentally say really stupid shit in the middle of serious conversations.

Real me online — Lots of rants about social issues. More aggressive and more confident than in real life, but also more articulate and less temperamental. The lack of nonverbal communication helps.

Adenosine — Forum, blog, and writing persona. Sort of a name I have for the more cold and objective part of myself. Like the above but exaggerated, with a healthy dose of philosophical relativism. Probably sounds either really intelligent or amazingly pretentious.