1. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

What Makes You Love Where You Live

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheHedgehog, Feb 22, 2010.

(YOU DO NOT HAVE TO POST YOUR LOCATION)

All of our hometowns and counties and such have certain local quirks and idiosyncrasies, like our hometowns are a subculture, basically. So, why do you love being a local in your town? Is it the food, culture, environment?

For example:
    I love living in downtown Charleston (SC), because people basically drink pot liquor from collard greens as a soup, it is a beautiful city, and it just, for me, is still retains some of its antebellum ambiance, but still contemporary.

So, why do you love being a local?

Would love to hear about it!

2. writewizard

writewizard New Member

I like the culture. Well, you really have to go downtown for the culture. There's nothing where I live, not really, as far as culture goes. But should you go downtown there are thousands of different people and it's exciting! You can find people from all ages, race, etc, and it's really awesome to get them and to know them.
    Still, I think I'd rather live in New York City, New York. :D

3. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Ok so I can't say we have much in thwe way of culture unless you count the culture of rich people and the young rich consulting type as culture lol

However I have to say my hometown is a beatiful city (in a modern way though, not that old architecture way). I adore walking around it in the summer with the sun bouncing off the glass buildings and the downtown park full of people hanging out. The lake right next to the city is beautiful too and there are tons of wonderful parks, and beaches, and stores/shops/resturants and places to hang out with friends.

4. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

we have over 250 festivals/year... some are one day, but most are at least a weekend, and some, like our most recent fiasco, last even longer... though technically "mardi gras (fat tuesday)" is only one day.
    po'boys
    who dat!
    general relaxed mood of the people
    atmosphere of restaurants (loud people, usually good food)

5. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

The county my town is a part of was voted the number one ideal place to raise a family in the United States. So... that has its pros and cons. ;)

Because it's so family / children oriented, people get really into the school sports. It's wonderful when our football team comes home victorious --and everyone throws a party when our girls' swim team wins state. We've won state 26 years in a row --a national record.

I like that even though my town is too big to be really called a "town" but too small to be recognized as a "city," you can still find everything you need within a five-mile radius.

Aesthetically, it's very appealing. We have our city center, which is the oldest part, that very much resembles a college-town architecturally. One neighborhood is more of a village, and all of the homes there are just beautiful too. I live in the middle of the country, so we get to experience all four seasons, and each season seems to enhance the town in their own ways.

The town is also on the front of being pretty eco-friendly and cleanly. We're working on eliminating most of the major intersections and replacing them with roundabouts, which cuts down on CO2 emissions and accidents, and it also makes the major highways a lot faster to travel on. (It's pretty funny though; you can always tell when someone isnt from our town because they dont know how roundabouts work. ;) )

I think what I love most about my town is the ideal blend between urban life and greenery. We have a lot of nationally renowned parks here. One of them has a well with really wonderful drinking water, so a lot of people go there to get their drinking and wash water. I like that we can hold on to a bit of old-timeliness...
    We also have a 20-mile bike path that runs through most of our town. When it's warmer, I like to walk my dogs on that trail, enjoy the trees, and take a break at the world's greatest burger joint which is strategically located at the most heavily traveled part of the trail, and is dog-friendly. :) It's a wonderful way to spend a day.

I graduate in May and leave my town in September. I've lived here for twelve years, and I will miss home, but I'm really ready to leave. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. But I will always, always come back.

6. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

It's 50 kilometers or so East of my favourite place on Earth.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The coffee is very good, the Guinness is (sometimes) also very good. My friends here are great, my university is fun, and best of all, I live away from my family! :D

8. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

This:
    [​IMG]
    Because it cures a hangover.

This:
    [​IMG]
    Because the entire city shuts down for 2 weeks to celebrate nothing in particular.

9. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

erm.... it has.... the people are.... the town is.... ummm.... you can.... there is....TREES! I knew I could think of something. I love the bush that surrounds the town, the trees and how when you go for a drive anywhere heading out of town, there is always truly beautiful scenery on your way to where you are going. Otherwise there is NOTHING to even remotely like. :(

10. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Sounds like a great case for MOVING. We have bushes here too.

To be fair, yall get the XB coupe there (we don't)
    [​IMG]

11. rory

rory Active Member

LOL! Same here. I'm moving as soon as I save a little money. I've always told people the valley I grew up in would be beautiful... if only the town weren't there. The rolling hills and fringe boreal forest is nice though.

12. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

or put in simpler terms: I love the road that leads out of the town where I live.

13. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

The town follows the shape of the bay, curving around it, among the foothills of the mountains. At the moment there's no wind, so the mountains are a powder-pink colour, and the sky and waters of the bay are almost silver. On one of the highest peaks there's the Velvet Fortress. The whole shape of the range looks like the figure of a naked woman lying on her back--or at least, according to Alexander the Great, that's what it looks like!

You never go hungry in this city. Day and night, there are street sellers with pastries, hot chestnuts, salted cucumbers, pickles, stuffed mussels, fruit...and boys go around with piles of sesame-sprinkled bread rings piled up on trays, balanced on their head.

The people here are the most laid-back, good-natured folks on this planet. They were accused of being 'infidels' because the rest of the country thought they were too irreligious. But in this city we bear the label with pride because it really means that the people here are very tolerant and European in outlook. There is very little serious crime here and it's a fantastic place to bring up children.

I guess it must be the most friendly and modern 'Muslim' city in the world, and even if I have problems with some aspects of this country, I love it dearly.

14. arron89

arron89 Banned

[​IMG]

That is why I love where I live. That and the cheap but world-class university, the excellent restaurants and bars (clubs aren't worth mentioning, but that's not my scene), the number of libraries, theatres, art galleries, museums within a 5 minute radius of my apartment, the niceness of the people...I dunno, just everything. Officially 3rd best city in the world to live in, apparently (and #1 outside Europe)...not surprised at all. :D

Y'all should move here, property is cheap and immigration is easy :p

15. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Today, not much. It's cold, wet, and I had to get up early to go into university.

But usually Brighton is great. It has a really good atmosphere, and just walking through it usually reveals something interesting. Also, on the corner of my road is a small, independent cinema, which does awesome things like show all-night LOTR marathons :)

In terms of the UK, I love living here because of the general British culture and history. It just seems...fair, and right. Not that I don't have my issues with it, but there's nowhere else in the world that I'd rather live.

16. Anonym

Anonym New Member

The redwoods, the mountains and the sea, all in one place. perfection.

the town f*ckin sucks, but the scenery is beautiful.

crescent city, CA. the smith river. look it up

17. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I don't really think my town is pretty, or special or anything... I'd much rather live in the country, at the sea, someplace like that. But I guess this place is where I feel at home, and that's why I love it. :)

18. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The drunk people of Sunderland are funny. :D

19. Stacey

Stacey New Member

Hmm i love where i live because my family stays so close and because of the beauty found in three places near me. I love nature.

20. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

It's cheap to live here. It's quiet. Even though I still have to carry a .38 when I walk the dog, at least here it's for the snakes, big cats and other critters, instead of for drug dealers and gang-bangers. No light pollution means you can see every one of the kajillion stars. This is the first place I've lived that's mine. Watching the sun rise over one batch of mountains and set behind another batch is incredible. The way the White Sands make the San Andres Mountains seem to float on a cloud is amazing.

21. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

What else is there to say, really? This is a'Gaidhealtachd. I think I'm going to split this into categories, as I have a lot to say about the area.

Social: The Highlands and Islands have the lowest crime rate in Europe. It's not just a myth that most of us leave our houses unlocked at night. There is a remnant of the clan system in the mutual respect, regardless of class (a concept that is pretty much non-existant here), and the traditions of hospitality and generosity are still preserved. Most of the people are also distinctly more helpful than you'll find elsewhere - I should know, I asked someone to take me on a boat to the Bishop's Isles at midnight. There's also a lot of trust - most people here aren't suspicious of strangers, and there's a strong sense of community spirit in the Hebrides.

Culture: Where else would you get people who still hunt selkies in the playground, and turn to cutting peat when fuel is expensive? As I said, there's a strong tradition of hospitality, and, as people don't often travel, and the Gaelic social networking sites are government-run attempts to appear to be doing something that's actually useful, most friendships are genuine. The Sabbath is still important, but there are relatively few fanatical religious people here, and it's simply a day to relax and do nothing for those who aren't religious. There's also a close-knit community of Gaelic speakers across the Highlands and Islands, and in the Gaelic enclaves of Edinburgh and Glasgow. The census tells you that 56,000 people speak the language in Scotland. It is actually about 150,000 people who speak it well, but they can't read it, so they don't write it on the census so they don't receive information from Government officials in the language. There are localised regions where the connections are stronger, and it's sometimes quite nice to have a 'family' of hundreds of people, and possibly more if you're on the Hebridean islands, where clan connections are also much stronger than they are on the mainland.

Economic: We have oil. Lots of oil. And we export computers, electronics, and renewable energy, although most people are still employed in agriculture.

Environmental: We have a lower population density than Russia, five hundred islands with something of a Caribbean appearance, if slightly colder, and endless mountains, scattered with the ruins of ancient towns and villages, castles, fortresses, lochs, rivers, and Celtic carved crosses. And you can walk, run, or swim across it, even if it's privately owned, with the Outdoor Acccess Code.

;)

22. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

My city has a bad reputation generally, but it's really a pretty great place to live. Our hockey team is awesome, the downtown life is really great, we have a good music scene, and the Niagara River is a fantastic place to be in the summer. We have good season changes: a green spring, warm dry summer, gorgeous cool fall and a not-too-long winter. There are no tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, mudslides, floods, or any other destructive weather, besides blizzards (but they don't usually hurt much). It's a really neighborly city; if somebody needs help in any way there is always an organization available to help them. There's a lot to do and there is a lot of GLBT acceptance. It's an old city with a lot of very cool history and unique architecture. We have the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. We have Shakespeare in the Park for freeeee every summer. We have two great SUNY colleges and a private one as well. Elmwood avenue has awesome shopping.

I could go on for awhile. Buffalo gets labelled as this not-so-nice place to live, with terrible weather and mean people, but that's nowhere close to the truth. It's a cool place :)

23. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

There's a Battleship Memorial Park near my place that has an actual, for real sub and battleship that you can actually get inside and explore. I've been to both of them and have been all over them.

24. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since xmas of 2005, i've been living on tinian, a tiny [4x10 miles; pop. 3,000+/-] island in the northern marianas, where i went to live out my last years...

it's 1,200+/- miles from the nearest major countries [japan, australia, the philippines] and 100+ miles from guam... the nearest 'big town' being saipan, our next door neighbor, across a 3 mile channel, where i go 1-2x a year, to buy groceries i can't get here and don't like to live without...

why i love life here:

it's quiet/peaceful
    has no traffic lights, few stop signs, no real 'traffic'
    people are friendly and helpful/respectful to an old lady
    life is simple, uncomplicated, exquisitely slo-o-ow

but most of all...

i'm useful to the very much in-need people here [90-95% of the island's residents]... can use what i'm good at, to help those who had no such help before i arrived...

so, i'll die happily here, when my time's up... meanwhile, i'll keep supplying free books to all, help with all sorts of writing, immigration and other legal issues, keep trying to get my donation center re-opened, etc....

the downside is having to put up with a terminally frustrating, greed-driven, nepotistic administration that doesn't give a darn about their own people [all who aren't close relatives, that is]... from the governor, on down to the local mayor...

25. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

I dislike where I live, but I have plans to move to Australia once I finish University :D