1. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

"Gone" by Michael Grant - better than Hunger Games?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by WriterDude, Aug 30, 2011.

I found a book in a hypermarked by coincidence called Gone, by a Michael Grant. After some quick research, it turns out he's the author behind Animorphs and Everworld, among others. I had never heard of him or Gone when I saw the book, but it was cheap and had a nice cover, so I decided I'd give it a chance.

The premise is simple enough: One second you're sitting in your classroom as usual, being incredible bored as usual. The next second the teacher is gone. Poof! Vanished in thin air. If that was a one time thing, it would be weird. But that happened to everyone who's at least 15 years old. Just... poof! Gone.

It's a large book and the first in a series of six books (the next being Hunger, Lies, Plague, Fear and Light. Fear will be released next year and Light "some time after", according to professor Wikipeida.) Although my copy of Gone is close to 600 pages, I read the first 200 pages non-stop one day and the next 200 the day after. It's absolutely brilliant in every way. The story keeps changing all the time and stays fresh, and I can't wait to read the next ones. If I had to compare it to something, I'd say it's a combination of Hunger Games, Lost and Lord of the Flies. And a bit of another series, though I won't spoil which one. ;)

I haven't read Hunger Games yet (I have it in my bookshelf, though), but Gona seems to be at least as good. And from what I've heard, the quality stays great in the next books too. :)

Anyone else read this? Thoughts? (though no spoilers, of course.)

2. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Why compare your book to one that you haven't read yet? How can you even compare them?

It's like saying The Hunger Game is Gods gift and utterly awesome and something to which all books need to be compared to which couldn't be further from the truth all simply based on the hysteria surrounding it.

Anyway, I just read Hunger Games and wish I hadn't. And the biggest problem with the book was the writing. I couldn't past the writing, it was horrible, horrible writing that was on a level akin to being back in middle school. I'll probably be flogged for saying that as there seem to be a lot of Hunger Game fans here, but I really don't see why it's so great. It was poorly executed in almost all levels of the book. At least that's my opinion.

Haven't read Gone though.