1. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by marina, Dec 24, 2008.

I'm surprised nobody's posted about this book. I read it a month or so ago, and WOW it was fantastic. I recommend it for kids around 10 years old (who can handle quite a bit of gore) and up.

It's the story of a totalitarian government that keeps the 12 districts that make up the society in line by holding a game each year in which teens, ages 12-18, must fight to the death. Last man standing goes home to glory and great material rewards. The game participants are 2 teens per district, one boy and one girl, who are chosen by lottery.

This is the first book in a trilogy.

If it means anything to you, Stephen King enjoyed it.

2. tomatosoup2

tomatosoup2 New Member

I have heard some of my classmates' opinions and they all say it's a great book but from what i know about the plot, character etc. i think it could be more "deep"

3. angelbabyy21

angelbabyy21 New Member

This book is in fact, a fantastic read in my opinion. I've recommended it to most of my friends and family and they've all loved it as well as are eager for the sequel to be released. Just my two cents. :)

4. marina

Yeah, of the books I read last year, this was my favorite one. The sequel comes out in September.

5. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Added to my to-read list. :)

6. bumboclaatjones

bumboclaatjones New Member

I think my brother told me about this one, but he couldn't remember the title or author. That cat has had one too many head injuries. Now that I know the title and author I will have to read it.

7. Bongo Mongo

Bongo Mongo New Member

I was thinking about picking this up, but Dune seems to be a better choice for now.

8. emo_pingo_jelly_beans

emo_pingo_jelly_beans New Member

This book is fantastic and if you can put up with gore ( like Marina said) then its totally for you

9. marina

The sequel, Catching Fire, will be released Sep. 1st. However, a lot of people have read an ARC (advanced reading copy) and are saying the sequel totally lives up to the first book, if not better than the first one. :D See the reviews here from goodreads.com.

10. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

This book is absolutely FANTASTIC, it's on my "favorites" shelf. I love how it's just this total game, a ploy to get sponsors and Katniss plays it like a harp. So excited for Catching Fire in September!

11. Aidura

Aidura New Member

I completely agree. It's hard to not like Katniss because she's such a strong character. The story reminds me a bit of The Wind Singer (which is an awesome read) and the thing about the districts made me think of Final Fantasy VII. Also, the fact that she focussed on the present and doesn't dwell on the past (the apocalypse thingy and District 13) made it more raw and realistic.

12. Gigi_GNR

I can't wait for Catching Fire. I'm so incredibly excited!!

13. marina

I just found an audio excerpt of Chapter 2 of the sequel, Catching Fire, at NPR.org -- it's in the Arts & Life section.

Just 6 more days until it's released here, and it's already available in the UK.

14. Gigi_GNR

I loved the whole premise, how it's after an apocalypse, and there are districts and........the whole thing was just a brilliant idea, one of those things I kicked myself for not writing.

15. marina

I thought the reality TV aspect to it was pretty brilliant. Kind of an American Idol/Survivors spin put on it. The present-tense she wrote in didn't bother me at all--it gave the story a tense/urgent feel, but I think it would have been fine in past tense too.

16. Gigi_GNR

I agree. I thought of American Idol and Survivor too. The need to survive and look out for yourself but also to act popular and get sponsors.

Catching Fire is now out, anyone read it?

17. marina

No, not yet. I got bogged down w/other books. I want to re-read The Hunger Games first. I don't look forward, though, to finishing Catching Fire only to be thoroughly frustrated that I have to wait another 12 months for the final book.

18. Gigi_GNR

Same with me. I'll have to get some moolah first from a babysitting job before I can get it, and I'll have to read the Hunger Games again first. Not looking forward to that yearlong wait either, but the books are great so it's probably worth it. :D

19. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies New Member

I adored this book! It was the only one I read this year that kept me up all night until I finished it. Not that it took me long; it's a quick, amusing read. :D I can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy!

If anyone cares about this aspect of the book, I'm on team Gale. 8)

20. Gigi_GNR

I'm trying to save up money to get it. I don't ask for money from my parents--they could always use it for something better--but I am close to being able to buy it.

1 person likes this.
  21. marina

Your feelings might change a bit with Catching Fire--or not; just sayin'. :D

22. Gigi_GNR

I'm so going to get spoilered here, I know it. :D

23. Moggle

Moggle New Member

[SPOILERS!]

I thought the "Hunger Game" was a really excellent book. I couldn't wait to read the sequel, "Catching Fire" when it came out, but I was a bit disappointed that Collins has decided not to incorporate a second POV, namely Peetas' into the sequel. I understood it was not necessary for the first book, since so much time was spent with Katniss, but I believe that a second point of view is essential to a character that plays such a huge role. How am I supposed to care about the relationship of two ppl so intertwined when I'm only getting one viewpoint? It's completely one sided.

Another problem I found with "Catching Fired" was the supposed love triangle Collins was attempting to establish between Gale, Peeta and Katniss. As far as I can tell after reading the first book, Katniss has never even had any romantic feelings towards Gale and Gale has never shown any interest in Katniss, so why is she now supposedly in love with him and him with her? The former is actually more puzzling than the latter but it all makes about as much sense.

24. Gigi_GNR

I know, I felt that a little bit too at the end of the first book. Why was it suddenly like this? But if you look back to when he says goodbye to her, there are subtle hints. Not as obvious as they could be, but still.

25. Moggle

Moggle New Member

Yes, but would you say his one letter profession of "love" to her in "Hunger Games" as he was being dragged away was a convincing way of conveying Gale's "real" feelings for Katniss? I don't.