Good/bad authors

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Nervous1st, Jul 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Evelyanin

Evelyanin New Member

Nervous, I understand, but I was only answering the question. As I mentioned, even the writing itself can be a matter of opinon based on someone's education. There is a reason why young children read simplitic books that most adults wouldn't be able to stand. "Tom walked. Tom walked into the store. Tom talked to the nice lady by the counter." Can you image a whole novel written like that? The only reason we might think a book is bad is because we know better than the people who might not see all the obvious grammar mistakes.

Now, you may say that the story doesn't have to do with whether or not the author is good or bad, but if the author has excellent writing skills, yet only writes about garbage, I won't read the books. The only time I think the author is a good author is when he is able to make me come back and read more of his books, or in the case of an excellent author, make me read his books again and again.

So basically: Great writing+ a storyline without a single ounce of intelligence= bad book = bad author.

Just my opinion.

P.S. The last part of my rant was just my personal opinion, something that most people won't be able to connect to, but that I just had to say. There may be a few people out there who see the same way, so I added it on.

2. RobT

RobT Active Member

Good and bad will always differ from one person to the next because each persons interpretation of their work will differ, and this is simply what makes an author good or bad.

You could say every author is both good and bad, although it is unlikey to be a 50/50 split. :)

3. Joules03

Joules03 New Member

The Danielle Steel books I have read, she uses a LOT of exposition. The last one I read, Amazing Grace, was brutal. I'm sure she has some great books, but I haven't found them.