1. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

Fahrenheit 451

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Halcyon, May 28, 2010.

Hi everybody.

It's now fast approaching the 60th anniversary of the first publication of this classic sc-fi story about a society where many books are declared illegal and where the government employs "firemen" to burn them.

My Ray Bradbury inspired question is... If you lived in such a society and were only able to keep one book, what book would you choose, and why? :)

2. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

I'd have to keep the Bible. As much as I'd like to keep something like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, I feel like preserving the holy book of my religion is slightly more important haha.

3. Diablo Robotico

Diablo Robotico New Member

Also, if you were to choose Harry Potter, you'd only be able to keep one out of the seven books, not the whole story.

I don't know what I'd choose. I guess Fahrenheit 451, to show them the error of their ways.

4. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

True, but in my head I was considering it all one story haha. Just print them all together and give me a 5000 page book lol.

5. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Same here. Undoubtedly. I would like to make it clear that this would not derive from fear of punishment- but sincere desire.

Besides that, I'm not sure I could pick. It would take some time to think about.

6. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Bible here too... To me it contains all the stories I'd ever want to read.

Besides that, I don't really know. There are a lot of great books but at the moment I can't think of one that is so epic it would be a shame if I couldn't keep it.

7. Nikhil

Nikhil New Member

I never support following one religion. All religions have the goods and bads but if all of them forged into one, I'd be happy to follow that religion.

I would keep none just to feel the importance of books.

8. LiterateStar

LiterateStar New Member

Even though I'm not very religious, I'd definitely say the bible.

9. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

Although I am fairly religious, I probably wouldn't keep the bible. Yes, the bible is a great book, and it is spiritually fulfilling, but realistically, someone else will keep it or memorize it or something of that sort.

Instead, I'd bring a Nook or Kindle filled with numerous holy books and classics.

Of course, assuming that a Nook would be cheating, I'd say The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm going to get my revenge on those book burners, and there's no better hero to learn from than Edmond Dantes.

10. Eric Aiello

Eric Aiello Member

Cool topic! Based on what I've read THUS far, I might have to choose Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham. It contains all of life. Perhaps when I read The Brothers Karamazov my choice will change to that one.

Or perhaps 1984 - still one of the greatest novels I have read. Or The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Oh bollocks! this is way TOO difficult of a question.

11. RedRaven

RedRaven Active Member

So many people wanting to keep the bible :)
    I'll keep the Divine Comedy by Dante.. close enough for me :D

12. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

How about a book full of my favourite stories?
    Okay, that's cheating but it's too hard to choose. :(

13. constant scribbler

constant scribbler New Member

If I had to live in that society I would keep my complete volume of Shakespear's works. Just think, you could read each play ten times without fully understanding it. It would keep me ocupied and thinking in a society that is braindead and bored.

Who liked the ideas posed in Farienheit 451? I thought it was scary how reality seems to be falling that way with the large screen televisions, the earbuds, and the lack of avid readers (not that I am accusing anyone on this site of the last one).

14. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

15. Jobeykobra

Jobeykobra New Member

Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis. It captures my feeling of lost humanity, desensitization and was the book that inspired me to write the most.

I really need to read Fahrenheit 451 though.

16. Lyssaur

Lyssaur New Member

I'd keep a book of collected short stories. :) That way, I could have several small stories to keep me entertained. I would probably make sure the book included Diana Wynne Jones though. x)