1. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Good deeds of selfless acts.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Night Haunter, Jun 23, 2007.

All this talk of death has made me wonder.

Who has done a deed so good and selfless that anyone would be honoured to know you. Or who knows someone who has done something so Selfless and so brave that they deserve more than honour itself something that deserves respect.

It would be interesting to see if anyone here has any of these attributes.

2. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

I don't believe that any amazing act is ever done with selfless intent.

3. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

True. You don't have to be a wonderful hero to be a good person. NH, if you like for people with standards like that, you'll find yourself very alone...

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I disagree. If someone flings themself in front of a car to save another person, there isn't the time to think through "what do I get out of this?" I think that many things labeled 'selfless' aren't entirely selfless, but that isn't to say that none of them are.

But then there is the whole concept of feeling good for doing something selfless- is that enough to make it no longer selfless? Or do you have to think of the benefits to you, before it becomes selfish (rather than selfless)?

5. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

If you don't know you'll get the benefits before you do it, but you get benefits afterwards, it's still selfless.
    Also, you're right, there are selfless acts out there. I was being rash in agreeing off the shot.
    But you have to admit, these are usually snap-decisions, and over half of things like these are probably for some self-benefit. Admittedly, these are many times only little benefits for themselves while giving large benefits to other people, so it doesn't really matter.

6. Banzai

I agree with you Ivan, but could it not be that snap decisions like that are perhaps born of a person themselves being selfless?

7. Bick

Bick New Member

I don't believe there is such a thing as a selfless act. You could do something for praise, to boost respect for you. I mean to do an act of good is about all you can do because there is always some gain in what you do, at least I think so.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that's not entirely true, bick... while it may be the motivating factor for most, it's not for some...

i do nothing that i'd consider 'amazing'... but since i divested myself of 'self' and all my worldly possessions over a dozen years ago, all that i do is done only for others' benefit, not for any 'return' to me... that's called 'open-handed giving' and it rules and defines my life...

whether it's working with the thousands of aspiring writers who come to me yearly for help by email, or setting up and running a donation center in what would otherwise be my living room, for the needy islanders here, being 'useful' is my life... my only 'raison d'etre'...

it's not something many can do or would want to, but i took a vow to never do anything for money or personal gain again, for as long as i live and will never go back to being self-bound again... been there, done that, don't wear t-shirts any more! ;-)

9. Bick

Bick New Member

Ah, well I guess there a big exceptions. You seem like an amazing person. :)

Btw, do I email you since I can't pm you?

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There has been a philosophic debate for a very long time whether there is really such a thing as altruism. If you include motives such as improving one's reputation, or even simply feeling better about oneself, it's an easier argument to accept.

Perhaps a better question for the thread is, "What actions have you or someone else performed that benefit others but required great sacrifices from the one who performed the action?

11. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I know someone who gave their life to save the life of a small child.
    He raced out infront of a car to grab his daughter and he was killed in the process. His daughter now is so very proud of her father.
    As far as I am concerned that was a selfless act indeed. That man is a hero in my eyes for sure!!!

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Excellent example. Another is the man in New York City a couple months ago. A stranger had a siezure and fell between the subway rails as a train was coming. This hero jumped down and lay atop the stranger, protecting him from both the third rail and the train passing over them. Both survived, and the man was honored by the city for his actions

13. Banzai

Exactly. Alturism does exist, all you have to do is open your eyes and see it.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you can email me any time, bick... and i'll enable the pm thingy, but i hate having to deal with those things, which is why i make my email address available...

love and hugs, maia

maia3maia@hotmail.com

15. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

People do selfless acts everyday.

Heck, I did one today, my brother is very ill so instead of buggering off to school at the time which would ensure that I was on time I stayed behind and made him a milo, sure it consequently caused me to be late but it was for his sake.

16. Stoner

Stoner New Member

I don't know (nor care) how "great" this deed is but I am a huge opponent of meth. I spend some of my free time volunteering at rehab centers helping with those trying to kick meth.

Meth is the absolute worst and evil of all drugs. It's one of those things you wish you could dis invent.

It's extremely sad to see good people whose lives are completely destroyed and will likely never kick it. Over 92% of people in rehab will eventually go back to it. It's hands down the most addictive drug on the planet.