1. Slammoth

Slammoth New Member

Good evening, new person here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Slammoth, Jan 23, 2011.

Hello! Slammoth reporting in...

I'm a young student who gets a particular peeve every once in a while, and that's not finding that perfect book, or movie. Or fantasy world to immerse myself in. A nagging feeling that nothing quite gets you there, you know? (Well, Lord of the Rings was awesome, but that's getting old!)

So, I've decided to roll up my sleeves and just make that perfect world myself, in which that perfect book shall play out, so that it can be made into a movie when it becomes an international bestseller. It shall be... glorious.

However, I'm an idiot, so that probably won't happen. However, a few things are more certain: I will be consuming copious amounts of energy drink and lots of metal shall be listened to. Hoping to make a few friends here as well while my motivation dies trying.

I invite you to join me on this adventure. I literally can't write without people who cheer me on, or critique my work. The ideal person would do both of course.

That was a long-winded 'HI I IS NEW'. You deserve a medal for getting this far.

2. Souliepantaloons

Souliepantaloons New Member

I love reading your posts. Hee!

They sound so proper.

hiya!

3. jitun2

jitun2 New Member

Hi,
    I also joined a few minutes ago. though I am not a write as such but i'll try my best to help you and learn from you (and also others in the forum).

4. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

Hi Slammoth!

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm sure you'll find plenty of people willing to help out while shouting encouraging support at you.

5. Slammoth

Slammoth New Member

Henno. Thank you. Saying proper sounds weird though - Trust me, I'm trying to repress puns, sexual puns and other inappropriateness. So far its working. But don't count on it holding for long. I'll make an ass out of myself, just you wait and see.

Hiyas. All these people joining is fabulous. Just watch this space, for much help will be needed, and if you ever need to learn retardry, I'm your first stop. 'Tis an art, you know.
    Ooooo! A person with fancy-colored face, in my post... Promise of encouraging help is encouraging. And they're right to shout, they'll need to. I like loud music...

6. Pages of Romance

Pages of Romance New Member

Slammoth, you can do it! I'm curious to see what energy drinks and metal is going to produce from out of you. Please keep us posted. I'm positive...It will be glorious.

7. Slammoth

Slammoth New Member

Thank you for the support! I'm all tanked with support now, I'll have to get started with actually writing.

Energy drinks and metal are essential components in testosterone-driven badassery. Unfortunately this is not the ideal my novel-to-be attempts to aspire to - As such, I'm curious as well.

At least it's gloomy. I can use that. I already have. Is it bad if I let song lyrics influence my writing? (Moot point. Lyrics, and I quote... WARRRR, PAINNN, DEATHHH, NECESSARY EEVILL... No wonder I do dark fantasy...)

8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome to the WF. :)

9. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Can I have my medal, please?
    And I am always happy to cheer people on.
    And even if you're an idiot, you can still write a bestseller.
    And metal is goood.
    And yeah, welcome. :)

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Slammoth, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!